Combatting line drag on a fast flowing river

baldeagle7

Hi guys, been down the river today but was having issues with line drag. Back leads didn't really do the job, also tried - tip under the water, tips high (not jim Shelley high though) although it was a pain in the bum still had a few fish out to just under 17lb.

Have any of you had this before? How have you got round it?

Cheers :):)

I try to find a swim where I can cast into a likely looking spot with my line pretty much directly in a straight line from my rod tip to lead.

If this isn't possible I fish locked up so that no line can be taken by the current. Hand on rod at all times, feeling for a take. This works better on smaller rivers I'll admit, on bigger, faster rivers a large gripper lead helps prevent it being pulled downstream but still hand on rod at all times.

Ian

The best way to avoid line drag is to have the least amount of line possible in the water this means having your rods up high in the air

( beach caster style ) also fishing a bow in the line will help lesson the drag on the line . to be fair though if you picked up a few fish you must of been doing something right :wink:

It may sound strange, but try casting upstream to where you wish to fish. The lead seems to hold bottom better, and you can often get away with less weight on the line than when fishing downstream.

The flattened Gripper leads do work well at holding bottom as well.

Also if you do fish upstream (from your username I would imagine you are USA based?), then the takes are often the line slackening rather than pulling tight, so you need a heavy indicator that can cope with that.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Did try to update before but my phone wasn't letting me.

Chill factor - the tips higher worked a treat, found that the margin corner had the strongest flow so as long as the line cleared this I was fine. Just don't like this idea of how the presentation is when fishing high and tight. But needs must and all that. Any ideas on better presentation wouldn't go a miss, although this one will be more of a try it and see I believe!

Salo - not USA based my friend, the eagle part is the palace in me :D

Upstream is a no go and I'm on 3.5 flat pears, seem to be ok as long as the tips are high enough. But going to get some grippers as I'd be silly not too.

Carpsoup - started beginning of this month and more than likely going to give it a good bash until next summer. There's some beasts in there :? Well apparently so. Had 4 fish and lost 1 in 2 sessions to just under 17lb...... 2 of which chub to just over 4lb. Not a bad bit of sport the chub, thought the bigger was a carp until just before the net. First time I've fished a river for carp.

Fishing the Sussex Ouse by the way :)

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Did try to update before but my phone wasn't letting me.

Chill factor - the tips higher worked a treat, found that the margin corner had the strongest flow so as long as the line cleared this I was fine. Just don't like this idea of how the presentation is when fishing high and tight. But needs must and all that. Any ideas on better presentation wouldn't go a miss, although this one will be more of a try it and see I believe!

Salo - not USA based my friend, the eagle part is the palace in me :D

Upstream is a no go and I'm on 3.5 flat pears, seem to be ok as long as the tips are high enough. But going to get some grippers as I'd be silly not too.

Carpsoup - started beginning of this month and more than likely going to give it a good bash until next summer. There's some beasts in there :? Well apparently so. Had 4 fish and lost 1 in 2 sessions to just under 17lb...... 2 of which chub to just over 4lb. Not a bad bit of sport the chub, thought the bigger was a carp until just before the net. First time I've fished a river for carp.

Fishing the Sussex Ouse by the way :)

Glad that it worked for you .... I take it from your better presentation question your worried about the line coming down into the business end at an angle ? like I said if you fish with a slight bow in the line this will sort that out for you ... cast out let the lead settle ,with your rod still in your hand and up high in the air slowly let a bit of line out and be taken down stream this will give you the bow in your line that I'm on about and a better presentation , your notice your be able to fish with less tension on the line and still hold bottom if you've got it right .

hope it makes sense .

Phil 8)

I know its already been mentioned almost in passing, but one of the ticks of the trade I was shown on the Trent is to drop a long loop of slack line below the lead.

In some cases 5 to 8 yards long. :shock:

This helps reduce the drag on the back lead, so it holds better, as does aiming to fish the near bank rather than hurling out to the far bank every time.

BOF :wink: