Chod Rig advice

adders60

Trying the chod rig tomorrow with chod rig leader etc

They are the ESP leaders and Korda chod rig but my question is

1. On a fairly clear bottom where should I position the lower rubber bead

2. how far apart should the top stop bead be from the bottom bead

3. Fish slack lines or tight

4. if fishing slack what about drop backs ?

In my humble opinion and having used the rig a fair bit and asked myself the same questions-

The lower bead should be far enough away from the lead to stop the hook touching it and risk blunting

I try and fish the top bead at the depth of any weed, or if its free of "vertical" weed, maybe 1 - 2 feet apart

I try and fish the line "straight" by which I mean not tight, but not slack enough that its as direct to the bait as possible. I like the line as close to the bottom as possible, and fish it "naked" rather than with a leader. I think a chod fished on a tight line risks the bait hanging in the water and looks wrong, particularly at shortish range

I'm sure there are occasions when a fish swims towards me with the bait, but I'm not worried about losing any sensitivity or indication, particularly if the line is "straight" as I described. There's a lot on this forum from some good anglers about line movement in water- it moves very differently to how it would in the air.

I reserve the right to be totally wrong, but it's how I do it and I'm very confident with it.

What sort of venue are you fishing? I'd be interested to know how you get on

In my humble opinion and having used the rig a fair bit and asked myself the same questions-

The lower bead should be far enough away from the lead to stop the hook touching it and risk blunting

I try and fish the top bead at the depth of any weed, or if its free of "vertical" weed, maybe 1 - 2 feet apart

I try and fish the line "straight" by which I mean not tight, but not slack enough that its as direct to the bait as possible. I like the line as close to the bottom as possible, and fish it "naked" rather than with a leader. I think a chod fished on a tight line risks the bait hanging in the water and looks wrong, particularly at shortish range

I'm sure there are occasions when a fish swims towards me with the bait, but I'm not worried about losing any sensitivity or indication, particularly if the line is "straight" as I described. There's a lot on this forum from some good anglers about line movement in water- it moves very differently to how it would in the air.

I reserve the right to be totally wrong, but it's how I do it and I'm very confident with it.

What sort of venue are you fishing? I'd be interested to know how you get on

Venue is small carp lake with stock 8lb to 25lb close range stuff approx. 6 ft deep in places

• 3 weeks later...
If the water is gin clear, 70% covered in weed and populated by every diving bird in Yorkshire, it sounds like the syndicate I'm in!

Best of luck with it mate

Love it! I have PB,s with Grebe, Coot and Swan.

A fish or two would be handy.

Ian

1. On a fairly clear bottom where should I position the lower rubber bead

the bottom bead only comes into play when playing a fish,as when cast the hook link flys up and away from it and settles there. when playing a fish the hook link and lead are pull together, so it is possible to lose fish if the lead is bouncing is to close, so placing a 3inch or more length of catty elastic or silicon tubing between lead and bottom bead helps buffer that effect.also its possible to bash the fish with the lead... you can tie a stop knot on the leader or depending on the leader,tie a knot in the actual leader to stop the bead dropping to close to the lead.. but to long and its very possible to have the lead snag as it hangs down to far under the fish.

so about 4-8 inches unless using a very short chod link then id lengthen by an extra inch or 2

If the water is gin clear, 70% covered in weed and populated by every diving bird in Yorkshire, it sounds like the syndicate I'm in!

Best of luck with it mate

Love it! I have PB,s with Grebe, Coot and Swan.

A fish or two would be handy.

Ian

Thankfully I've only ever hooked one (feathered) bird- a coot which detached itself soon after.

Since joining the syndicate I've become brilliant at landing a boilie within a foot of a rooting swan- that seems to do the trick

While I agree that on casting the bottom bead should in theory stop the rig sliding down towards the lead, it may actually slide down towards the lead anyway under pressure during the fight from a fish.

You play a fish, and usually the line thins some, so a stop knot may well slide down the line towards the lead anyway. This can still result in the fish getting banged about with a lead close to the head. It may actually be better to fish a longer rig to keep the lead away from the fish during the fight, so thiose mega short 3 inch rigs could be a thing of the past :wink::lol:

The top bead you want enough rig travel so that the bait is presented on top (if that is where fish feeding) of the silt.

As for whether you fish tight or slack, my view with a silt rig is that you want a very tight line, so that you get all indications. Single bleeps can often still be fish hooked. Secondary bleeps can be the fish doing a disappearing act, minus your hook. With a slack line, you may well be missing indications, especially as the lead is semi-fixed.

tie a knot in the leadcore about 6 inches above the lead. then pop bead on then the chod, obvio its important to leave the top bead free to pop over the top of the leadcore incase something goes wrong. then during the fight the lead hangs 6 inches below the fish and out the way.

oh and it has to be fished slack or if not you will lift the rig/leadcore up in the water.

I tend to have the bottom bead at least a foot from the lead and usually nearer 2 feet to try and reduce the chances of the fish getting clumped round the ear'ole but i use slack lines .

I cant get my head around the probability of the hooklink floating in mid-water if fished on a tight line . Nick , how do you combat this ? Are the sinkers (i dont use a leader) sufficient to keep the business end pinned to the deck ?

Cant see it myself ...

I tend to have the bottom bead at least a foot from the lead and usually nearer 2 feet to try and reduce the chances of the fish getting clumped round the ear'ole but i use slack lines .

I cant get my head around the probability of the hooklink floating in mid-water if fished on a tight line . Nick , how do you combat this ? Are the sinkers (i dont use a leader) sufficient to keep the business end pinned to the deck ?

Cant see it myself ...

I use Solar chod beads that grip the line but move very easily under pressure.

The bottom bead will always move tight against the lead during the fight- probably very quickly. The lead will inevitably touch the fishs "snout" but won't bash on it because it's too close to the hook. It's probably no greater risk of damage than what they get from "rooting" anyway. I don't see a problem at all.

The only way of making sure the bead doesn't move is to fix it, and that brings a whole new set of issues, not least a lead dangling underneath the fish.

As for fishing tight lines with it, if I knew the line was buried in silt and therefore not in mid water I'd be happy, but otherwise as I said earlier, I'd fish it as direct to the lead as possible - "straight" but not tight.

I always fish them "naked"- that is, without a heavy leader especially lead core. Lead core is horrible stuff and should only be used to tie up the neighbours dog when it barks too much.

I'm admitting nothing.

Cant see it myself ...

I actually think that a number of people are unintentionally fishing Zig rigs on helicopter set-ups, hence the Chod rigs reputation for cast anywhere.

I try to work out the depth of the silt where I am fishing (a piece of wool tied to the lead will take on the colour of the lakebed), and then adjust the top bead accordingly.

As for the use of leadcore, I had best say no more than the poxy stuff should be banned, there are far too many emotive threads on here about that subject :wink::P:lol:

the word "ban" really is dreadfull. !! genereally used by little hitlers that have never had any control on there lives that suddenly become a bailiff at a fishing lake and all of a sudden give it the swagger and wear there bailiff ticket pinned to there overweight chest.

i couldnt remember how many kippers ive had on kryston score gold but there has been a few,and none have had any scale damage,i also find it interesting that as fisherman who drive a piece of steel into a fishes mouth will its trying to eat to survive,then scare the hell out of it by dragging it 100 yards across its world, then lift it out of its world and start the process of suffication, lift it of the ground in a weigh sling then blind it with flash photography before putting it back! and your concerened about leadcore?? were fishing mate, deal with it.

well jesus christ, ban ban ban.

woody cant believe you use leadcore,ur a nasty man :D

Tut tut !!!!

Hello Chris mate :lol:

Great news that everything is better 8)8)8):D

Oh yes all back to normal now mate...how're you doing? :D

Good mate not done much bank time lately work and family keep getting in the way :?

Now where was we ....... Oh yea the pro,s and cons of lead core :shock::lol: