Tying a Coated Braid Combi-link - A Beginners Guide

hnv

Plastic coated braids are hugely popular amongst anglers who require a certain type of presentation - that is a combination of a stiff, tangle free section and a soft, supple section near the hook that allows free bait movement.

The popularity of this type of rig is a consequence of the rig's effectiveness. It is one of the best all round, go anywhere rigs available to us and I use it in one form or another for the majority of my carp fishing. It's not difficult to tie if you follow these easy steps:

Choose your preferred coated braid.

SS852809.jpg

Strip off a section of the coating at the end of the length of braid - about 5-6 inches. This length and the amount used to tie the hair loop will determine the length of the supple section at the hook.

SS852811.jpg

Use your finger nails to peel back the coating and strip the section off.

SS852813.jpg

The coating can be seen here being stripped off.

SS852814.jpg

Once you have stripped the section, tie a simple overhand loop in the end of the supple section. This will form the hair loop to keep the bait on.

SS852815.jpg

Trim off the tag from the loop.

SS852819.jpg

To tie the knotless knot, first pass the end of the hooklink (the coated end) through the hook eye by going from the back towards the point as shown.

SS852821.jpg

Lay the hooklink along the shank of the hook to form the hair.

SS852822.jpg

Start whipping around the hook shank, trapping the hair against the back of the hook. I like to go around 7 times but you should continue whipping until the hair exits the hook shank opposite the point.

SS852826.jpg

Finish the knot by keeping the whippings tight and passing the tag end back through the hook eye from the same direction as before, i.e. from the back towards the point and pull tight.

SS852827.jpg

At the other end of the rig tie on either a swivel or rig ring with a six or seven turn Grinner knot.

SS852828.jpg

So, there you have it. One of the most versatile and successful carp rigs that have ever been devised. Simple to tie, virtually tangle free, great for both bottom baits and pop-ups, difficult for the carp to eject and suitable for fishing over a variety of bottom types. Note the stiff "boom" section and the supple end section near the hook to allow the bait to move more naturally and the hook to turn and catch hold.

SS852829.jpg

OP not wishing to start a confusing debate on what is clearly a very useful post for beginners. But how do you feel about this exact rig, but with the hair exiting the after 2/4 turns of the knotless knot, more often referred to a 'KD'??

That is the basically the rig i fish with a size 6, for 80% of my hard bottom fishing. My hook-holds are (touch wood) far better because of it. Opinions?

OP not wishing to start a confusing debate on what is clearly a very useful post for beginners. But how do you feel about this exact rig, but with the hair exiting the after 2/4 turns of the knotless knot, more often referred to a 'KD'??

That is the basically the rig i fish with a size 6, for 80% of my hard bottom fishing. My hook-holds are (touch wood) far better because of it. Opinions?

I must admit that I use the exact rig shown above but with a small section of shrink tube as a line aligner. I find this superior to when fished KD style to achieve a more aggressive "kick-out" of the hook. I don't like the way the hook can be taken into the fished mouth "backwards" when using a KD type knot. It's just personal preference I suppose.

I purposefully kept the rig as simple as possible to allow the total novice to tie up a very simple but effective rig that has great hooking potential.