The importance of carp angling literature

hnv

I wasn't sure where to put this post so chose the book review section.

I cannot emphasise enough how important reading carp fishing literature can be. Not just the weekly and monthly mags but proper books written about carp fishing as well as periodicals and newsletters from clubs and societies. They really are a mine of information on all things carpy. I love reading and also love carp fishing, so why not combine two passions and read about carp fishing!

I am lucky in the respect that I have built up a nice collection of carp fishing books over the years to "dip into" whenever I need information on a water, bait, method or even the fish themselves. This is my reference section of my "carp room" (the cellar!):

SS852782.jpg

Some favourite titles are shown here:

SS852789.jpg

SS852788.jpg

I think that reading books has gone out of favour of late due to the digital media revolution. I myself have a Kindle and enjoy using it but I do love an actual, physical book on the shelf as a way of searching for that snippet of information that could help me in my quest to catch carp.

The book review section of this forum is a little "light" and as such I am planning to review some more of my books in the coming weeks.

That's a fair sized collection you have mate and I have a few of them myself but if you had to recommend just one book from them as a must read for every carp angler or your favorite one which would it be ?

Probably Dave Lane's "An obsession with carp". A fantastic book that goes into so much detail about the waters and the fish. A great read and perhaps my favourite.

Thanks that's not one I have read but I will be looking out for a copy from now on :D

It's a great book but now out of print and very expensive second hand. I recommend that you pop down to your local library and get them to order it in for you. You may have to wait a while but at least you get to read it for free!

I couldn't agree more with the original post, i remember reading, Paul Selmans, Carp Reflections, Keith Jenkins, The Myth, Dave Lanes, An Obsession With Carp, and Terry Hearns In Pursuit,

I haven't read a decent book for a while, i used to like the tales of the effort these guys took to catch fish, living and breathing carp fishing, seems to have lost its way in recent years, but i am looking forward to getting A flick Of The Tail and The Keeper, :)

Thanks that's not one I have read but I will be looking out for a copy from now on :D

It's a great book but now out of print and very expensive second hand. I recommend that you pop down to your local library and get them to order it in for you. You may have to wait a while but at least you get to read it for free!

I sold mine on fleabay for £82 about a year ago, wish i hadn't

your right you cant beat a good book about carp fishing. not wanting to be controversial though, but sadly alot of what we read is not always exactly how it happened. ive read a fair number of books and have had the pleasure to fish along side a number of the authors and their friends and its quite eye opening as to the real happenings around some of the captures of certain fish. i wish they would just write it as it happened. if the angler was drunk,stoned, "guesting", breaking every rule going when they had a certain capture then why dont we hear about it :?:. thats why the best book ive read is micky gray's book " a merry olde dance". what you read is exactly what happened, its warts and all, excellent book.

your right you cant beat a good book about carp fishing. not wanting to be controversial though, but sadly alot of what we read is not always exactly how it happened. ive read a fair number of books and have had the pleasure to fish along side a number of the authors and their friends and its quite eye opening as to the real happenings around some of the captures of certain fish. i wish they would just write it as it happened. if the angler was drunk,stoned, "guesting", breaking every rule going when they had a certain capture then why dont we hear about it :?:. thats why the best book ive read is micky gray's book " a merry olde dance". what you read is exactly what happened, its warts and all, excellent book.

I agree with you to some extent. Reading about an angler's failures as well as their triumphs is more interesting for me personally than just a list of monumental achievements.

"A merry old dance", Hmm... That sounds an interesting read. I will keep an eye out for it. I'm addicted to Amazon of late and now have a carpy wish list almost as long as some of the titles I'm after!