Sandy gravel rig setup

ronny86

Might just be me a bit picky here, but I'm fishing a clear sandy gravel lake for the first time so trying to get my leads etc to match the bottom..

I bought the new korda captor hooks in gravel colour and gravel shrink tube to kick the hook out, now my problem here is the hook and shrink tube is a different could to the safe zone lead clip and the korda supernatural gravel (non coated as I'm fishing solid pva bags). I know its not a big deal for pva bags as most of the rig is hidden but ill prob use the other rod with a block bag rig and a scattering of boilies..

Would u fish it with them components or try match the lot to the colour of the clips etc

I have a theory on this but won't say til I get some replies as to what people think :)

Personally i don't like long shanks, the mugga's and esp curve shank are both good strong hooks, which i use in pva bags all of the time. And ill go out on a limb and say i don't think KD rigs are as good as made out, just a simple 7 turn knotless knot on both of those patterns.

Just a bit curious. In what way does a hook pattern matter when using PVAbags? I personally use pva pretty much all the time with different hook patterns thats why I wonder :)

Just depending on baits and what rig setup I use, wouldn't wanna use a wide gape with a KD (although it would be fine) a curved hook would give a better hold.. Just more of a confidence thing, I can't relax unless I'm 100% happy with the rig that's in the water :wink:

Nothing like the mouth damage you get from a long shank hook MM mm mm my favorite

As for matching all the components of our rig please for the love of god stop listening to the marketing guru Danny Fairbrass he doesn't have your fishing interest at heart just the stock price of Korda

Lake beds are a vast array of colours so what exactly are you matching the colours to? Because 3 inches to the left or right of your spot can vary hugely. If anything use various couloured components to break up the silhouette

Nothing like the mouth damage you get from a long shank hook MM mm mm my favorite

As for matching all the components of our rig please for the love of god stop listening to the marketing guru Danny Fairbrass he doesn't have your fishing interest at heart just the stock price of Korda

Lake beds are a vast array of colours so what exactly are you matching the colours to? Because 3 inches to the left or right of your spot can vary hugely. If anything use various couloured components to break up the silhouette

Yeah I understand they vary, but I don't really wanna fish a silt/weed hook length over a sandy gravel bottom, might not make no odds, but it would to me, plus I've never fished a sandy gravel bottom ;D

Anyway rig I made up as I know 10-15mm do the business there, prob also use a blow bag on a wide gap and a 15mm boilie, tipped with some bright plastic.. (Fish shy away from big beds of bait there the owner told me)

Fished in a soild bag..

null_zpsff8d0566.jpg

(Although I cut the hair off now and opted for a boilie peg)

I'm more than happy with my rig now, kaptor hook, boilie peg to hold boily on with a ESP hook bead, supernatural gravel braid, ace kicker tubing to save me messing about with shrink tube to get the right angle, bit of putty to keep it on the deck with a size 8 ring swivel, weight are just speckle yellow ones a friend makes cheap, with some standard gravel tubing

As for the long shank hook comment, a simple explanation would of been sufficient :wink: I'm fair new to carp fish so go easy on me :wink: I just thought they were the best option from googling, I onlyreallt use wide gape,mixa and kurved hooks, but would of got long shank.. But thanks for the info, ill stay well away now :D

Chees for the reply mrdevon, i opted for the same..

There is nothing wrong with a standard longshank hook. It's the longshank curved hooks that do the damage.

If your new to carping you don't really want to be starting off using rigs like that. Keep the rig simple and concentrate on where you put it

In not new new but new to the techincal side, I've fished your KD rigs, blow bags, standard bottom bait rigs, zigs.. But I feel confident enough now to move to the technical side, seems I wored it wrong should of said 'fairly new to techincal carp fishing'.... And the venue I'm going to popups fish best there, so what better way to get techincal than with a popup :wink:

Trying to beat my pb of 16.5lb, not a bad pb for NE England..

My standard rigs were just wide gape hooks and kurved short shanks, but time to see if I benefit more for being techy but not to techy

• 2 weeks later...
Might just be me a bit picky here, but I'm fishing a clear sandy gravel lake for the first time so trying to get my leads etc to match the bottom..

I bought the new korda captor hooks in gravel colour and gravel shrink tube to kick the hook out, now my problem here is the hook and shrink tube is a different could to the safe zone lead clip and the korda supernatural gravel (non coated as I'm fishing solid pva bags). I know its not a big deal for pva bags as most of the rig is hidden but ill prob use the other rod with a block bag rig and a scattering of boilies..

Would u fish it with them components or try match the lot to the colour of the clips etc

I have a theory on this but won't say til I get some replies as to what people think :)

I must admit that I don't buy hooks on advertising blurb, and avoid some brands as much as possible down to personal reasons. So my current hooks are Gardner Muggas or Gamakatsu GP204's (possibly the same hook pattern, maybe the same factory, as many really are despite all the different branding), and for pop-up rigs Kamasan B175's (which are the same factory as Drennan)

I really don't worry too much about matching and camouflaging end tackle as I don't think that fish can identify a hook down to colour, or a lead as being a lead.

My worry is that the hooks I use are good enough to land the fish I want to catch, and that my hooklink and mainline will be strong enough not to break.

My hooklink for years has been a combi-rig with Amnesia and Merlin/SuperNova, or Mantis.

I don't care about the colour on the lakebed as what you see in the lakebed margins is different to out in the middle of the lake.

The stipulation I have on bottom bait or snowman rigs is that the hook is line aligned, as I have noticed that shorter shank hooks (even curved shanks), I don't always get a good hookhold with no extension.

The hair length is also then carefully watched to match the right length for getting the hook to penetrate into the middle of the bottom lip.