spomb cracking off

crezza

right finally had the opportunity to use my spod rod for the first time the weekend but my spomb must have cracked off about 5 times throughout the course of my session. Im using a wychwood exorcist big pit 65 with 30lb braid loaded on there. Originally I was soaking the braid and using it for 10 minz or so but after about the 5th cast it snapped off so started wetting my braid after 2 casts which in the end didnt snap off, shud u be soaking the braid after 2 casts? i wasnt fishing at a very far distance 60-70 yrds if that, whats the best solution for me to stop the spomb cracking off as this got very annoying! up my braid or add a shockleader??

thanks

Why use braid on a spod rod? I use 12lb BigGame mainline and a very thick shock leader, cant remember the breaking strain of top of me head but must be 40lb! Never had it crack off ever!

Don't use braid on a spod/spomb rod. It doesn't stretch and is more likely to crack off than mono with a shockleader.

I use Drennan Grey Greased Weasel in 40 or 60lb, or even Black 30lb Amnesia as my shockleader with the spod rod and not had a crack-off while casting.

after having a very similar problem myself I asked the same question on here & the advice I went with was to swith to a mono mainline with a leader.

I have started using a 12lb mainline with a 30lb braided leader ( lenght of the rod with at least 6-7 turns on the reel) and have yet to crack off again !

As I said I faced a similar issue & wasnt sure if was duff braid, or beacuse they braid kept drying out or if i had over filled the spool and the line was wrapping around the rings. What ever the issue was its sorted now I have switched over.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...