Chod rig - Is this right?

mlty

Just getting back into fishing after a long time off, and the chod is something completely new to me. Went into my local tackle shop and asked for advice and this (I think) is the finished product!

I believe its a "naked chod" running on my mainline with a fluro chod.

No idea if its right?

null_zpsad86034f.jpg

This is just personal preference but i would use a much shorter hook link, and its to straight,

4cede0dd-48fe-41a3-aeb8-618f44edc6cc_zps0667e901.jpg

You'll need a much more aggressive curve than that, go to youtube and type in adam penning chod rig,

Jules is right about the safety though, as long as the hook link comes off then the basics are fine :D

yeh moe of a curve. as said, any time you tie a rig just make sure in the event of a break off the lead will come off the line easily so the fish aint dragging the lead around if hooked.

watch a couple of episodes of thinking tackle, ok he aint everyones cup of tea but he shows rig safety and that is the most important thing in carp fishing

as much as the man is hated, i would go on you tube to view jim shelleys blogs and you will see how to tie it on there. been tying it his way for the past 3 years and ive never lost a fish on it :wink:
never had a pick up either though lol :lol::wink:

Just getting back into fishing after a long time off, and the chod is something completely new to me. Went into my local tackle shop and asked for advice and this (I think) is the finished product!

No idea if its right?

null_zpsad86034f.jpg

when you say 'fluoro' do you mean boilie colour or line???

as it looks like a mono hook link to me :?which if so wouldnt take on the curve associated with the chod,though will still work,like a zig. and if the main line isnt heavy or fluorocarbon you will need to counter the buoyancy with some putty or shot. but saying that iv not seen a swivel like that and it may have enough weight :?:

one thing is... it looks like the line passes through the opposite way to how i would prefer if it was me. ....it may not its hard to be sure in the pic :?

• 7 months later...

observations

1. needs to be shorter

2. needs a much more aggressive curve (remember the pop up straightens the rig in the water)

3. needs rig putty on swivel

4. swivel does not need to be a double ringed

5. another buffer bead above sleeve

6. don't think the hook is correct (might be wrong)

7. a good buoyant pop up

No idea if its right?

null_zpsad86034f.jpg

Don't know how I missed this first time around, must have been offline for a fair while and not using the forum or it was that horrible word Chod, so I purposely avoided it...

There is a horrible possibility with the ring swivel on the mainline.

No matter how you go, the naked chod is a risk in as much as the ring swivel under tension can wear and abrade the mainline, causing unexplained snap-offs :!:

While in this case it would only (or should) just leave a small rig and hook in the fish, it is a snap-off that should not happen

You would be far better off to use what I suppose is a chod bead.

Have a read through these:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=51296

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37603

The second link contains a pic of my 'Heath Robinson' looking Silt Rig set-up, which can be fished as sliding or semi-fixed :wink:

Nick , is that the reason why most chod rigs are constructed with one of those swivels that have one huge ring and one little ring ?

Allowing for more freedom of movement and therefore less abrasion ?

Being honest , i dont think i even know what one of these chod beads looks like ...

Nick , is that the reason why most chod rigs are constructed with one of those swivels that have one huge ring and one little ring ?

Allowing for more freedom of movement and therefore less abrasion ?

Being honest , i dont think i even know what one of these chod beads looks like ...

The ring swivels should in theory help prevent snap-offs, but from experience, they don't work as said on the tin :wink:

If you slide a perfectly smooth piece of metal up and down a rope, the rope will start to fray, and eventually wear through, that is what I believe happens with ring swivels. Add to that if the ring swivel is in contact with the lakebed, and I reckon it happens a bit, then you may get a piece of grit or stone may take a tiny chunk out of the ring swivel. I use swivels a fair bit, and I have seen even braid will wear tiny nicks into the metalwork, if that happens on a ring swivel, another chance of a snap-off.

The Cox and Rawle Beach Beads I refer to in the other threads, I have a link, however, no matter what Cox and Rawle say DO NOT glue them together, and put the bead with the large hole up the line nearest the rod tip.

You can then put either a ring swivel or a standard swivel on the taper:

http://www.coxandrawle.com/products/accessories/beach-beads

Right ok i got it now . A "chod bead" is supposedly to fix (in avid's case) or semi-fix the actual hooklength to your mainline/leader/tubing and what nick is saying is that one of these in your set up minimises the risk of a cut off due to abrasion from gravel or snaggy bottoms kinda thing ?

I've been fishing my chods (sorry nick) naked , so to speak , for a long time now ever since i saw tom dove using it a few years back using 4mm rubber beads semi fixed to those little korda stop thingys (the name of which escapes me :) in conjunction with one of those large eye swivels so that the rig can move freely up & down the line .

Never had a problem yet but its got me thinking now ...

Like the look of those weighted avid beads . Anyone use em ?

Would using these do away with the need for me to put putty on the swivel ?

Or is there no real need for it ?

You got that reply in just as i was writing this mate :lol:

Right ok i got it now . A "chod bead" is supposedly to fix (in avid's case) or semi-fix the actual hooklength to your mainline/leader/tubing and what nick is saying is that one of these in your set up minimises the risk of a cut off due to abrasion from gravel or snaggy bottoms kinda thing ?

I've been fishing my chods (sorry nick) naked , so to speak , for a long time now ever since i saw tom dove using it a few years back using 4mm rubber beads semi fixed to those little korda stop thingys (the name of which escapes me :) in conjunction with one of those large eye swivels so that the rig can move freely up & down the line .

Never had a problem yet but its got me thinking now ...

Like the look of those weighted avid beads . Anyone use em ?

Would using these do away with the need for me to put putty on the swivel ?

Or is there no real need for it ?

You got that reply in just as i was writing this mate :lol:

Korda sliders?

I have slightly changed the set up a bit since new products have been released so that I don't have to alter bits to suit. The Fox lead sleeves (not sure what they are called) have made a big difference to the ease of tying. They have the tail coming direct off the bead.

Have a look through this thread:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=51296

Yeah nige i remember that thread . Quite a good one too though i also remember being a bit unhappy at the time because i thought the opening post was a little demeaning towards newbies/inexperienced carpers that were asking "idiotic" questions etc .

We all had to start somewhere and if you dont ask then it cant be explained to you .

Nick , korda sinkers :lol:

Always open to any bits that will improve the rig/set up though .