Barbed hooks: why

nathanhuynh

On my venue everybody seems to be using barbed hooks except me but I don't see the idea! I get that they don't move around as much but surely a micro barb will do (that's what I use). They use big barbs and say that they hold in well. But them, like me, use lead clips which fail to eject the lead on every take so I find that the lead weighs the hook in. So what other advantages are there to using a barb (bearing in mind that hook size is around 8) so why do they do it?

thankyou

I don't go fishing to lose carp, so it's barbed for me always. I do genuinely belive that barbless cause more damage, however, the potential for damage with a barbed hook is greater if used incorrectly. Most damage is not caused during the fight at all, but during hook removal. With a barbed hook, if you are struggling to remove the hook, simply push it all the way through (depending on where the carp has been hooked of course!) and snip the end including the barb off with a pliers. There is nothing worse than someone just ripping the hook from the carp's mouth, taking half the mouth with it.

I'm sure there is a lengthy thread on this somewhere!

I can see both sides of this argument. Barbless hooks can do a lot of damage depending on how the fish is hooked, especially with LS hooks. On the other hand a barbed hook, in the wrong hands, e.g. not knowing how to remove it properly can potentially cause even more. Wherever possible and on the basis that I can take them out safely I use a barbed hook. If the fishery rules are barbless, then barbless it is.

I don't go fishing to lose carp, so it's barbed for me always. I do genuinely belive that barbless cause more damage, however, the potential for damage with a barbed hook is greater if used incorrectly. Most damage is not caused during the fight at all, but during hook removal. With a barbed hook, if you are struggling to remove the hook, simply push it all the way through (depending on where the carp has been hooked of course!) and snip the end including the barb off with a pliers. There is nothing worse than someone just ripping the hook from the carp's mouth, taking half the mouth with it.

Sorry I've virtually repeated what you said. Should have read the whole thread! :oops:

On my venue everybody seems to be using barbed hooks except me but I don't see the idea! I get that they don't move around as much but surely a micro barb will do (that's what I use). They use big barbs and say that they hold in well. But them, like me, use lead clips which fail to eject the lead on every take so I find that the lead weighs the hook in. So what other advantages are there to using a barb (bearing in mind that hook size is around 8) so why do they do it?

thankyou

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=19019&highlight=barbed

• 4 weeks later...

I have been fishing with barb-less hooks now for 5 years and have never caused any mouth damage.

I probably get more hook pulls than others during the fight but I try to stay in contact with the fish and not apply more pressure than necessary; that must be better for the fish. Also around 25% of the fish don't even need unhooking as the hook comes out in the net.

I nearly always use a running lead without a leader and for me the main advantage is that, that if the fish gets weeded or snagged, I give it slack line and it always gets free.

I really don't understand what kind of damage a barb-less hook can do, apart from long-shank hooks but that must apply to barbed also.

Is it possible that SMALL hooks are the problem? I can imagine, that if constant pressure is not applied then the hook can slip out and cause a tear but that is not likely to happen with a larger hook. I never use anything smaller than a 6 so perhaps that's why I don't cause damage.

thankyou

micro barbed are barbed.. not barbless :wink:

I have been fishing with barb-less hooks now for 5 years and have never caused any mouth damage.

Other than the hole all hooks cause!

Barbless hooks were designed for speed of unhooking in matches. They have no place in carp fishing. You will find that a lot of the better clubs, syndicates or day ticket waters will not allow their use.