Double combi idea?

useph

I have recently started using combi rigs and am very impressed! First session using them I caught 6 fish on them and they were all nailed!

However, I am currently fishing on a difficult water which is very silty in spots. I really want to use the combi rig because of the way it kicks away from the lead and resets itself. The problem is that if the lead sinks into the silt, the rig would be sticking up out of the silt and make catching nearly impossible.

My idea being, would a double combi rig sort this problem or would it just be pointless? The standard combi rig uses 2 different materials which is typically a stiff section then a supple section. My idea is having a supple section off the lead, then the stiff section, then back to a supple section for the hook and bait. The idea being that if the lead sunk into the silt the supple section wouldn't push the rig up, but instead will hug the bottom. The stiff section would then kick the rest of the rig away as usual, then back to the supple section for the hook and bait.

I hope that makes sense. :oops: If you understood my concept and have any ideas on it then please let me know. :)

Joe

Joe, nice to see someone thinking about a solution to a problem they face.

The lake I'm fishing is as silty as they come in places. I too like to use a combi rig sometimes. I fish it on a helicopter lead arrangement to get around it.

makes a lot more sense :wink: cheers

I used to use a helicopter rig fella, but one i could adjust, simple one korda sinker each side of the hooklink, with a bead gently pushed over the back of the sinkers, you can adjust this up and down the line, depending on how deep the silt is, i wouldn't be tying another knot into your combi's fella, i would just switch to a coated braid :)

I suppose the question is, how does the stiff section benefit the rig over just using a braid/coated braid? Anti tangle perhaps, but an anti tangle sleeve with some Pva nuggets for casting out would help. Does seem like over complication for no reason.

I'm a +1 on the helicopter set up with a stiff hinged/combi rig in this situation. Combats the silt, hardly ever tangle, is super safe in terms of teathering. Why reinvent the wheel, unless there is a genuine good reason too?

I've personally moved onto helicopter set ups for most of my fishing. They solve a lot of problems with very little compromise. Worth some thought I think. :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a supple, stiff, supple rig, then use a coated braid and strip it at both ends leaving a coated section in the middle.

Simples :wink:

Mind you, you could always use a large loop on the stiff section so it can turn easily if you are using a supple braid at the hook end