To anyone just starting or restarting.......

tylow77

As the title suggests i'm aiming this at people just getting into Carping and in my case people mad enough to want to get back into it,to give a brief bit of background on myself i started caping in 1975 when the height of luxury was a 45" brolly and indicators were (if you were lucky) Heron Alarms and silver paper indicators,and don't even get me started on rods and reels :).As time moved on Carping became my life spending every waking and sleeping moment thinking about and planning for it,I started fishing the gravel pits of Chichester and moved onto local club waters and as the way with all of us the lure of bigger fish meant getting tickets for Darenth and then Yateley the top waters of the time.This eventually meant a progression onto a syndicate water (still the best water i ever fished)..........then BANG! real life moved in and marriage and kids became the driving force.

Now to my point (at last you say) i've decided it's time to pick up the rods again because trust me it never leaves you this passion we call Carp Fishing,after all the time i've been away obviously a lot has changed,looking at my tackle some things had to change, I'm still as happy with my rods as the day i bought them at a Carp Society Conference (who remembers them...do they still have them?).My much loved Cardinal 55's i have to concede are not and never were up to real distance fishing, beautiful reels and will be kept for small waters along with my Geoff Kemp 1 3/4lb rods,my Optonics have died apart from the Delkim conversation pair :wink: and most of the stuff in my tackle box would have a bin man crying so i've had to dig deep into my pockets to get replacements.NOW...replacements and updates are bought and i'm happy with them BUT what i've noticed from reading through a few forums (big mistake) is that there is such a vast choice available to people now as opposed to then that there is no RIGHT choice of tackle to use all products have fans as well as detractors and if i took notice of peoples comments on things i'd bought i'd be throwing it all back out to that disapproving bin man but i won't! because i'm happy that i made pretty good decisions but it struck me it must be a nightmare for people starting out with so much choice available hence this post.So to those people i would say if you can get out and compare, find something YOU like and don't read tackle reviews on forums Lol and trust me you won't go too far wrong.

Right i'm done rambling if you read through it thanks if not i probably wouldn't have 15 years ago :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

really good post that mate, I am in a similar situation myself. Having spent most of my childhood and teens, (until I found girls :wink: ) me and my mates could be found camped at lakes hunting the elusive and alluring Cyprinus carpio.

Now after going around the world and finally settling down, the old itch has returned and I am now in a position to scratch it. The only problem i am having is the same as you, when I dug my tackle out of my parents loft, memories came flooding back but also my indecision on weather any of it would work or be be any good anymore :?

Having subscribed to numerous forums and reading, what seems like a million opinions and articles, I am still none the wiser really?

So I have tried to combine what little of my old gear I could salvage and buy new/used carefully to fill out as I need.

I am not sure if this is the right approach, but I dont want to go out and spend a fortune on a load of gear I dont need or even know how to use.

I figure its a work in process so I will learn by trial and error I guess, but thanks for the post mate, makes me feel better I am not alone in this new scary world of crazy rigs and wary carp :oops:

surely reading a tackle review on a forum is better than reading the manufacturers blurb.

I have an eclectic set of tackle that bears no allegience to any particular company and im happy with the stuff ive got. I would always prefer to spend my money on bait and tickets and get out fishing instead of not going because im saving up for the top of the range all singing all dancing latest must haves.

Believe what you read in forum tackle reviews because they are mostly unbiased.

surely reading a tackle review on a forum is better than reading the manufacturers blurb.

I have an eclectic set of tackle that bears no allegience to any particular company and im happy with the stuff ive got. I would always prefer to spend my money on bait and tickets and get out fishing instead of not going because im saving up for the top of the range all singing all dancing latest must haves.

Believe what you read in forum tackle reviews because they are mostly unbiased.

Spot on Matt...... Prob 80% of my carp kit was bought with recommendation from members on here ...... If its cack they say so if its good kit it gets a good review .....

I went out last Monday with a couple of old Daiwa Graphite Coil rods that I picked up cheap....well one was free, the other cost me £40.00.

They must be at least 20 years old, but are in very good condition.

Far too many eyes (if current trends are to be believed) and nowhere near strong enough at 1.75lb apparently.

It was great fun!

really good post that mate, I am in a similar situation myself. Having spent most of my childhood and teens, (until I found girls :wink: ) me and my mates could be found camped at lakes hunting the elusive and alluring Cyprinus carpio.

Now after going around the world and finally settling down, the old itch has returned and I am now in a position to scratch it. The only problem i am having is the same as you, when I dug my tackle out of my parents loft, memories came flooding back but also my indecision on weather any of it would work or be be any good anymore :?

Having subscribed to numerous forums and reading, what seems like a million opinions and articles, I am still none the wiser really?

So I have tried to combine what little of my old gear I could salvage and buy new/used carefully to fill out as I need.

I am not sure if this is the right approach, but I dont want to go out and spend a fortune on a load of gear I dont need or even know how to use.

I figure its a work in process so I will learn by trial and error I guess, but thanks for the post mate, makes me feel better I am not alone in this new scary world of crazy rigs and wary carp :oops:

Sounds like you are taking the same approach as me as i said i'm more than happy keeping the rods i had and as much as i Loved my Cardinals they needed to be upgraded for a variety of reasons but they will be kept for small water fishing etc.My Optonics died apart from the Delkim convertion so secondhand modern Delkims were sourced tackle box padded out with bits and pieces few other new bits and i'm ready to go :D can't wait,now got to find a water away from the crowds :wink:

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same vote now bud... Just restarting back after a 15 year break and as you say, so many changes !! Yeah you can get info from forums and magazines etc but you do need to check it out first hand.. I'm off tomorrow hoping to replenish my mouse eaten rod holder ( actually, probably get a new one of those as well ) but its the methods and baits that have changed the most over the years... OK So I used boillies 15 years ago but its still pretty confusing.. And dont even get me started on rigs :lol::lol:

I've done the same thing bud, spending today trolling a few tackle shops that I used years ago and glad they're still in business which means they know what they're doing I guess.

If any southerners know Judds in Hillingdon and Harfield Tackle thats where I'll be later this morning before heading in to NW London to look at Go Outdoors as they seem to have some decent gear at decent prices especially the baits

Guest Anonymous

Funnily enough I have just replaced my tackle, bought some stillwater 3lb TC rods from Chapmans mail order, got two rods and two GT600 reels for 80 notes, the rods really are as good as they advertise, the reels get a bit grindy when bringing a fish in, but I have found the low end Baitrunners to be a bit unsteady when playing a fish, so for the price of the stillwater reels I’d say they are spot on.

Looking at anther of the 3 lb TC rods for next year and they also do 3 big pit reels for 150 quid they have a money back guarantee if not happy with the reels when you get them. Plus you get 100 PVA bags when ordering and free delivery and the missus don't even have to go hungry, might make it to Devon though

Just back from a shopping trip ! A few quid lighter but I got what I wanted.. Didn't bother with Go Outdoors as the local dealers were the same price give or take a couple of quid and it saved me 2-3 hours driving into town so happy days.

Managed a good deal on a reel/rod combo, new tackle holdall, rod pod, chair and some end tackle and baits so I'll all set for Sunday now :D Knowing my luck it'll chuck it down :roll:

Left a couple of my son's new reels at the shop so he can pad them out and stick some new line on which I can grab on the way home.

Cheers guys

edited for swearing nw