Fishing in,on and around silt

ghost101

Hello

I have just moved from a water that was very weedy to one that is pretty much all silt and pretty shallow around 4-5ft. I have never really fished on silt. I was just wondering what approach if any you take when fishing in silt.

Do you tend to fish pop ups on a helicopter? Or can you get away with a lead clip with a light lead if the silt isnt to deep.

Also what is the best way to tell the depth of the silt, and can you tell the difference between new silt and the smelly silt.

Lastly what ways can you change you bottom bait mix to stop it from taking on the smell of the silt so quickly if any or is the only way to pop it up slightly.

Thanks

Guest Nhawkeye

Don't use short rigs, if using a lead clip, or a free running lead. If you normally use a 7" hook link, increase to 10", or, maybe even 12".

You can use a short hooklink in an In-Line set up, but, ONLY if used inside a pva bag.

Have a plumb about with a marker rod, but, instead of using a feature finding lead, use a Korda Gripper between 3oz-4oz. The silt and or, mud is sticky and will partially fill the hollow section of the lead. Also, on occasion, the lead will bring back bloodworm, which, always a good sign.

If the silt is a sandy colour, bait it up. Also, if mud pockets that are slate grey colour, are also very good.

If the silt is black and smells like putrid water, avoid, avoid, avoid.

When casting out, always "feel" the lead down. Just before the lead hits the water start to "feather it down" and then, just as the lead hits the water, trap the line and raise the rod. If you hit a clear spot, irrespective of how deep the silt is, you will receive a satisfying "donk".

Use a lead link, basically a paternoster set-up; the lead is attached to a length of mono instead of to the lead clip. It can be fished semi-fixed or running with a run ring.

The lead tows everything behind it, it stays pretty tangle free. I think there is a pic in UK rig tying section stickies.

Ok thanks

I always feel the lead down, but the main thing i am worried about is fishing on a bad patch of silt, is there any way that i can tell it is bad and smelly with out bringing a rig back smelling horrid, does the smelly silt tend to be softer and less deep.

Also what is the best way to avoid a bait getting blacken and smelly.

So my best bet is to change over to a helicopter setup, with a decent size hooklength, if this is the case what is the best way to gauge the distance of the beads to the the lead.

thanks

Guest Nhawkeye
Ok thanks

I always feel the lead down, but the main thing i am worried about is fishing on a bad patch of silt, is there any way that i can tell it is bad and smelly with out bringing a rig back smelling horrid, does the smelly silt tend to be softer and less deep.

So my best bet is to change over to a helicopter setup, with a decent size hooklength, if this is the case what is the best way to gauge the distance of the beads to the the lead.

thanks

That's why I suggested having a plumb about with a Marker Rod set up first. Also, most places where you will encounter poor silt, are:

Edges of dying weed beds

Margins of banksides and islands.

Small section of a lake that is cut off from the main body of the lake.

Oh and using the Hinged Stiff Rig, as part of a Helicopter Set-Up is excellent.

Ok thanks

thanks

The helicopter set-up may not be the best for silt.

To find the depth, plumb around with a marker rod, bearing in mind you won't feel so much. Tie a length of wool up your line, from the lead. The distance it gets stained will show you roughly how deep it is, so you should be able to play around with the beads to get the best distance.

It may be that the carp feed in the silt, not on it, so you might want a hookbait that is in the silt, and getting covered. Certain baits can be less likely to end up smelling of silt.

If you want a bait that doesn't lie in it, then fish a pop-up after you have found the depth, so that the base of the bait sits on the silt.

Guest Nhawkeye

The helicopter set-up may not be the best for silt.

Yes, you are right mate.

To the asker. Sorry, for the misleading quote I made, which, may have implied the use of a helicopter rig. I just had the Hinged Stiff Rig on the brain, because, I had been tying up some stiff booms earlier. :oops:

Guest Nhawkeye
Marker not the answer to find decent spots the best way to find spots is keep your eyes peeled for fizzing and showing fish. As for rigs just keep it simple. Water craft is the key not special silt rigs and marker floats.

:shock::?:

Guest Nhawkeye

I really can't understand the notion that, using a Marker set-up is not using watercraft.

It's all very well watching the lake for signs of fizzing bubbles from carp, tench, etc. but, they don't always do this. Granted a feeding fish over a certain area shows that, it is a good spot to put a bait, but, you could be waiting hours!

Get to the lake and "learn" the topography of the lakebed. You don't actually have to be fishing. Just take a rod with a Marker set-up and another rod with just a lead on it.

Cast out your Marker, find the depth, then using the Marker Float as a reference, use the other rod with just a Lead on and "feel" what's out there.

With just using a lead and with a bit of practice, it's amazing what's found out there. Little seams of gravel, subtle changes in the silt and what types of pondweed is present.

How is that not watercraft?

I would defiantly use a marker rod, probably go to the lake with it is quiet and not fishing well etc and have a marker up and note down depths, and features and what distance there are and where about, and keep this information with me all the time, so when i turn up i can walk round find the fish and then see what depth and features are around that area. If i dont see any thing have a quick plumb around with just a lead to find a good spot in a area i think they might be.

So what would be a suitable setup for silt, shall i just use the lead clip setup i have been using in the weed but with a longer link.

Is there anything i can do to my bait, as i make them at home to make them less prone to taking on silt smell etc as i do lie to fish a bottom bait or snowman

Thanks

Guest Nhawkeye

Yes mate, a lead clip with a longer hooklink than usual will do the job.

You could use a link for the lead, as was suggested in a previous post, but, they can cause tangles.

Also, there is a higher chance of "getting done" by the carp, because, the silt pocket may not be as deep as you think. At least, that's what I've found.

If you bother to get out of bed first light and look hard enough you useally see sighns of fish sumware. Your perception of a good spot with a marker mite not be the best place to catch carp. personally id rather let the fish tell me the best spot to put my bait. I wouldnt say useing a marker is water craft its quite often bad angling!

Guest Nhawkeye
If you bother to get out of bed first light and look hard enough you useally see sighns of fish sumware. Your perception of a good spot with a marker mite not be the best place to catch carp. personally id rather let the fish tell me the best spot to put my bait. I wouldnt say useing a marker is water craft its quite often bad angling!

Yeah, okay :lol:

Fished deep silty meres and pits for thirty years and never in that time have I used a marker whilst fishing...Liam..spot on...silt is a different animal to any gravel pit etc..they will feed right upto the tip of the gill plate in it so Im happy to fish a bait that is five or so inches into the silt...the use of wool is always helpfull for marking depth of silt...and also colour of it...as for no showing fish or fizzes etc...ok...do you never have mozzie hatches on your water??......just a very qualified answer here...but a rod dropped directly on a fresh hatch....thats worth ten rods on a "marker found feature" without any signs of feeding fish.....either hunt them...or trap them.....very big difference in both approaches.

Guest Nhawkeye
Fished deep silty meres and pits for thirty years and never in that time have I used a marker whilst fishing...Liam..spot on...silt is a different animal to any gravel pit etc..they will feed right upto the tip of the gill plate in it so Im happy to fish a bait that is five or so inches into the silt...the use of wool is always helpfull for marking depth of silt...and also colour of it...as for no showing fish or fizzes etc...ok...do you never have mozzie hatches on your water??......just a very qualified answer here...but a rod dropped directly on a fresh hatch....thats worth ten rods on a "marker found feature" without any signs of feeding fish.....either hunt them...or trap them.....very big difference in both approaches.

Look at the original question. This lad is asking advice on how to approach a lake he has never fished on before. It's all very well seeing a fish feeding, or insects hatching, but, will the lad know what's between him and the visual evidence of a hot spot?

How is he supposed to know what the topography of the lakebed is like, without first knowing what's out there?

Are there snags? What type of snags are they? Is there weed? What type of weed is it? How dense is the weed?

Once an angler knows the topography of a lakebed, then, I agree, there's not much point in using a marker rod. But, it's always good to be aware that weed beds and features can change over a period of time.

Look at the original question. This lad is asking advice on how to approach a lake he has never fished on before. It's all very well seeing a fish feeding, or insects hatching, but, will the lad know what's between him and the visual evidence of a hot spot?

How is he supposed to know what the topography of the lakebed is like, without first knowing what's out there?

Are there snags? What type of snags are they? Is there weed? What type of weed is it? How dense is the weed?

Once an angler knows the topography of a lakebed, then, I agree, there's not much point in using a marker rod. But, it's always good to be aware that weed beds and features can change over a period of time.

....OP...not a single mention of needing help feature finding...a simple lead about for five mins will tell him enough about snags etc....his question was rigs, depth and colour of silt.

Dark silt...good stuff...and usually found by an overhang etc...so plenty of natural offerings falling in along with foliage... a good base to start with is a milk protein base as it doesnt take on the taint of the silt as readily as fishmeals do.

Guest Nhawkeye

...a simple lead about for five mins will tell him enough about snags etc....

So, you agree with me then?:lol:

It's not like I'm advising the lad to thrash the water to a foam.

Hello

I have just moved from a water that was very weedy to one that is pretty much all silt and pretty shallow around 4-5ft. I have never really fished on silt. I was just wondering what approach if any you take when fishing in silt.

Do you tend to fish pop ups on a helicopter? Or can you get away with a lead clip with a light lead if the silt isnt to deep.

Also what is the best way to tell the depth of the silt, and can you tell the difference between new silt and the smelly silt.

Lastly what ways can you change you bottom bait mix to stop it from taking on the smell of the silt so quickly if any or is the only way to pop it up slightly.

Thanks

if you are fishing in a clear patch in the weed then use a chod rig, this way the hooklink doesn't get pulled under the silt. Try to avoid using distanceleads because they dig onto the silt. If there is weed present in yuor swim then use a longer hooklink on a helicopter or even better an inline lead set-up but make sure the lead can be dumped.