everybody should try this:

nathanhuynh

just found an awesome rig to use with maggots which is criticly balanced and works for carp far better than any maggot clip:

use a supple braided hooklink and tie onto one end with a half blood knot a size 14 barbless hook.

now thread a large bit of pop-up corn onto the other end and slide down until it is on the size 14

now knotless knot a size 8 carp hook as if the bit of pop-up was the boilie

then pull the size 14 out of the corn, use a testing tank to see how many maggots you need to make it balanced, to put on the maggots simply hook them onto the size 14 then pull it slick into the corn!

two tips:

try putting a few fake pop-up maggots in with the real ones to make it sit better

fish it over a PVA bag of maggot and corn

I don't like maggot clips or the use of a second hook, and I'll stick to putting maggots on thread or floss tied onto rig ring or even sew maggots and thread onto a piece of foam or glue them to a cork ball
the second hook cant possably get out. It isnot for hooking the carp. It acts as a maggot clip instead of using a great big clip!

Right imagine this Nat, big hook in bottom lip, hair with 2nd hook slightly long, during fight 2nd hook catches top lip effectively sealing fishes mouth shut. If fish can't open mouth it dies, simples. Or it's mouth is ripped to shreads

Don't like it never will, no matter which high profile tit says its good :evil:

Personally dont think the rig is any more dangerous than any other rig. Wouldnt use it personally because a needle and cotton does the job but the above post about sealing a carps mouth and the fish dieing is ridiculous its not going to happen.

How you know for sure it won't, 1 hook nailed in bottom lip , 1 flying hook, what's to say the 2nd hook can't nail the top lip, they are designed to do that you know :roll:

Surely with a second hook that may be flying you risk extra damage to the fish?

Main hook in bottom lip, second hook catches outside lip, as fish is netted, hook in cheek tears out.

Or as Andy has said, you have hook in lip, and second hook in throat, which could be difficult to remove and may or may not seal the throat or mouth shut.

If instead of useing that size 14 as part of the hair and you used the 14 as its used in the said rig as your main hook bait how many fish would you hook? thats right non. The scenio your talking bout would be a so unlikely it makes it safe enough to use imo!

Ya wot???????? :?

Just robbed these off google images:

Before being loaded with maggots:

7C072187-3142-4EB4-89FD-C2A3E4D476AC-5066-00000853CCEC8929_zps4feda823.jpg

After hook has been pulled into corn. Make sure it's pulled in past the barb as far in as it will go:

E373DF6D-6422-4069-8D32-F06C51802C7B-5066-00000853CA7AE19A_zpsf98bdb92.jpg

How I tie it now:

A9E43C99-3326-4F3D-AC7D-9B35C541F0F1-5066-00000853C8747A39_zps34344c0f.jpg

Nuff Said, nothing wrong with that rig, it beats needle n threading em :D

Guest Nhawkeye

I'll second that. There's nothing wrong with that rig. It is pretty obvious to see that the second hook has no chance of coming out of the plastic corn and being a potential hazard.

However, if live maggots were being used, I'd use cotton thread every time.

Right imagine this Nat, big hook in bottom lip, hair with 2nd hook slightly long, during fight 2nd hook catches top lip effectively sealing fishes mouth shut. If fish can't open mouth it dies, simples. Or it's mouth is ripped to shreads

Don't like it never will, no matter which high profile tit says its good :evil:

if the hook were loose then yes it would be dangerous but the hook is sealed tight into the stiff corn and it is safe. You need to use a rig tool to pull out the hook! I doubt it would ever come loose in a fish's mouth.