which lead clips

nathanhuynh

Guest Nhawkeye

Most of the lead clips on the market are pretty good, with the exception of Korda and Nash.

Korda lead clips have a tendency of getting jammed with pondweed, which, prevents the lead ejecting when snagged.

Nash lead clips have been known to break while casting, leaving the lead to fly off to the horizon. Those clips that don't break on the cast shatter when a carp picks up the bait and shakes it's head.

It seems that the Nash lead clips are made from a plastic that is too brittle for angling purposes, because, when they do shatter they leave jagged edges, which, can cause injury to the carp and to the angler when handling.

never had a problem with the korda lead clips myself. what i do is when i buy the lead clips and tail rubbers i will push a tail rubber onto every clip all the way down. that way it stretches the tail rubber therefore enabling the lead to eject that much easier :wink: .

But should you have to do that, shouldn't they be ready to use straight out the packet??? :shock:

never had a problem with the korda lead clips myself. what i do is when i buy the lead clips and tail rubbers i will push a tail rubber onto every clip all the way down. that way it stretches the tail rubber therefore enabling the lead to eject that much easier :wink: .

But should you have to do that, shouldn't they be ready to use straight out the packet??? :shock:

I agree with Andy's theory, but plastic will soften after a bit of use, or be stiff before its used.

You could just as easily rub and squeeze the tail rubber for a few minutes before putting it onto the lead clip.

I'm not a lead clip fan, but those with a plastic peg to hold the clip to the hook link swivel, I think are safer than those that may be able to pull free

the gardner covert ones are fantastic. can be used safely with leadcore aswell. if line breaks the clip dumps the leader leaving fish with just hooklength.
these are the ones ive started using and am well happy with them. and as you say you can set it up so its safe with leadcore.

I use the Gardner ones and get on with them, ive also used the nash D-dam ones and didn't like them tail rubber didn't fit properly and found the lead was impossible to eject cast one out without a tail rubber had a fish and the lead was still on :?:?

Guest Nhawkeye

The best way to dump a lead on every take is, to tie up the lead clip with pva string/tape. I know loads of lads who don't bother using a tail rubber at all and just tie up the clip with pva to prevent the lead bouncing out on the cast.

The best way to dump a lead on every take is, to tie up the lead clip with pva string/tape. I know loads of lads who don't bother using a tail rubber at all and just tie up the clip with pva to prevent the lead bouncing out on the cast.

If you read the original post the guy doesn't want to lose the lead every time

I've used lots of different types and found most to be ok. The biggest problem with lead clips (like say Korda's) is that people, usually inexperienced, tend to push the rubber down too hard and/or without making sure its well lubricated. The packaging never warns about the potential problems if not set up properly. I have pulled out more than one lead clip with the rubber jammed on tight or worse glued in! Where possible a running lead is my set up of choice.

I take the point about not wanting to drop a lead every time, but that is not a priority in my book. After all what's the price of a lead?