Anyone been to rookley park recently?

I went to fish this place a few years ago. Pulled up and spoke to the guy running the place trying to get a bit of info out of him having never fished there before, after waiting an eternity for him to even acknowledge me he was very rude and unhelpful and it was clear he really didnt want to give me the time of day.

As i was on holiday i didnt have all my speci gear with me & enquired about tackle hire (as advertised on their site) only to be told ' you dont sound like a proper carp angler' :?:shock:

Imo the small lake looked dreadful, very small with lots of peg... I didnt even bother to look at the large lake as I had already made up my mind that i would not be giving him any of my hard earned.

I simply got back in my car and went else where.

I have fished several other places on the island which I would/could recommend depending on what you are looking for.

you do know the specimen lake only has 8 pegs mate and if your not booked on you will stand very little chance of getting on,i went sept 2010 for a week stayed in chalet number 6 which backs on to match lake,chalet was nice match lake was fun on a waggler but no joy on specimen lake there are some nice fish in there mate but very very small lake ie you could cast to any margin from any peg if the tree' allowed,i couldn't over head cast at all from the woods swim but with the amount of water i had a overhead cats wasn't needed :shock:

bait boats are needed to get under the tree's where i found hooked and lost a fish because i just had to many obstacles to get through my only option was to get in the lake go under the tree line with my rod and swim to a peg to land it,it was 90 degrees at the time and i'd paid £100 for 4 nights so was prepared to do that but lost the fish as i entered the water :roll: i think i would have been barred for life if tim seen me do it but i thought f it i ain't coming back :lol: and there where no rules saying no stalking :wink:

any way neil i did enyoy the holiday and so did the wife but i'm sure there is better places you could find,i was even charged £5 for half hours fishing when i went back to the chalet for dinner and chucked my rod in while having a drink with the misses before dinner i even said i give you £25 to fish already and i only fished for half hour his reply was it' still a fiver.

i also thought what an arrogant so and so the owner was and thought he was money grabbing to an extreme extent

cider in the village up the road was very nice also a country farm shop with some fantastic meats nice place put fishing pools poor even the match lake has about 30 pegs on it and its less than an acre so if you go when its busy forget it

Thanks for the info guys. It looked ok on paper for a week away with the family...reckon I'll give it a miss.

I hate penny pinching...it's things like that fiver (which lets face it is no big deal) really boil my water...miserable git charging you a fiver to chuck a rod out for an hour.

The joys of forums though. :D:D

...just need to find somewhere else now. :D

dont get me wrong mate the chalet and site was fine but the lakes were more like ponds with way to many pegs if you asked me would i stay again,for a relaxing week in the same chalet i had before then yes i would but would only take bit of match tackle for a bit of sport,

i did have a look round when i was there and found this place and had a walk round the lakes there was 3 lakes small but bigger than rookely

there was a few hauling 3-4lbers on bread of the top nearly went and got my tackle, defiantly not a specimen water but great for your dog mate and peace with fantastic views from lakes and cottages

http://www.nettlecombefarm.co.uk/

That looks nice mate.

Like the idea that fishing is in. I'd sooner just pay that bit more and then just fish when I fancied it rather than having someone coming and bugging you over a fiver.

I might give anglers paradise another blast. I've not been for years. I've always enjoyed whiteacres but I've never had good weather down there. Newquay Is just weird...the rest of the country can have 25 degree sunshine and Newquay will be under thick rain clouds.

well if its any help there are two places that I would fish again.

You could try the isle of wight fish farm, there are some nice fish in there for the size of water, and the guy who runs it with his wife are very nice and helpful. They have some very small ponds where you can go for a bit of sport, plus they have a trout lake as well if you like to fling a bit of fluff (had 3 fish out in 2 hours last time all around the 2 pound) I have fished this place a few time and even though I have been in the summer it has never been majorly busy.

The other place I would give a try is hale common. Again its a small water (very coloured!) but the average stamp that I was catching was between 7-10lb and had a fair few in the day. Each time I have been there has only been one other person there. Take plenty of change as you have to get you ticket through an honesty box.