Magazines

fraserking

I'm sure that this is nothing new and seasoned anglers have worked this out already, but I cannot bring myself to buy carp magazines any longer. I'm a sporadic purchaser, but this months Total Carp is just one big advert. With very little information about tactics, every article is one sponsored angler after another pushing their bait, tackle and equipment. What looked like an interesting article on fishing with sticks was in fact Nick Helleur praising the virtues of Solar's stick mix and what is in it. TCs big brother ACF is no different. There is more information in one or two threads of this forum than there there is in the whole issue.

Just as an aside having read a few anglers blogs, it's abundantly clear that nothing in the copy has been written by them. No more magazines for me, I'll just rely on learning as I go. And of course reading threads on here.

You can guarantee that I will not be buying Advanced Carp Fishing or Total Carp again :!:

Of the magazines available, I reckon at the moment Carpology is probably the best, although I still have a soft spot for CarpWorld.

Advertorial, basic plugging in an article really does wind me up, and as Wamps says, its getting worse. You always had adverts, they effectively pay for the magazine, its not the end buyer who make it profitable, but now there are almost no unsponsored articles, and some tackle and bait brands are worse culprits for it.

Just Carpology for me too.

I bought advanced carp fishing one day last year when I had a long train ride and and it was the only mag they had.

Jesus- it was painful...I think I must have read a few pages and the rest was just dirge.

I haven't bought a magazine for years. If I need to sort out a problem then the internet is far easier. the tackle reviews are far more honest, if something sucks then you get to hear about it, if something's good then the same thing goes. If you can't solve a problem then there's always someone available to help.

They're all a total waste of paper- even Carpworld which was once worth reading is now a vehicle for Nash et al to peddle the latest thing we don't need.

Luckily at least one publisher has spotted a niche in the market- a carp magazine that's not full of adverts- overt or otherwise, or trotting out the same lazy tosh.

I understand that Gaz Fareham is bringing a mag out fairly soon with minimal ads and with an emphasis on quality informative writing- maybe two issues a year.

Search "calm productions subsurface" for a bit more info

Is Big Carp Magazine still going, that used to be ok and seemed like it was based on alot of good articles from good anglers who just had a good story to tell !!!!

Aswel as to much advertising in the mags, all the articles seem to keep going over ol ground, but just tweeked a little, and im not just on about carp mags, i personally would love to see more adventure and humor written , I love the writings of Bill Cottam for his humor and Tony D Partick for the adventure.

The Point im trying to make is that there are thousands of great anglers out there with a great tale to tell, i would love to hear about more angling adventures abroad.

OR May be its all the carp forums on the web now thats ruining the mags, i bought Carpworld a week ago and havnt picked it up yet......im always on hear :):)

I think that a lot of the problem with magazines is that most anglers are anglers first and maybe able to write after if they are lucky, whereas we would prefer angling writers rather than anglers who may just write or ghost script an article.

Not sure if that makes sense, but because they are anglers they aren't good writers.

Fashions go round in circles, what was fashionable 10 years ago has come back round a few times, or even different times on different waters, where a method that worked for instance on Redmire in the 1970's has only just been used on Roach pit.

What doesn't help is anglers who can only fish one method effectively, so every article that they write is almost the same each time.

I prefer reading original CarpWorld type articles, and learning about a venue rather than rig or bait method articles, it may be because everything in them goes around and comes around and is rehashed. Yet DH publications are aimed at new carp anglers over older more 'intense' older experienced anglers who have the romance ingrained in them.

I used to buy total carp a few years back but not any more, i dont bother with any of them, years ago angling times used to do a supplement on carp fishing and terry hearn was main writer, he did some stunning features and never plugged much, other than the source

Have to agree with nick in that carpology is the best mag out there .

By a mile. Even that can get a bit repetitive though its worth buying for rob hughes' underwater features alone .

My biggest gripe about the mags is that these "famous big potatos" anglers featured in the mags are always grappling with some leviathan carp at sandhurst or frimley etc .

I'd like to see one of 'em fish 24hours at my local park lake to see how they get on......

I don't like or but any mags anymore, except the occasional carpworld. Got it this month, there is a thought provoking piece from mark Holmes I think, which was a fair piece about passing information from anglers to others. I only read carpworld when I can find it as the articles are more informative, interesting and not full of plugs and adverts. However, mags need to cater for their biggest audience, which are information hungry anglers. Wanting to know all about PVA, new rigs, wonder baits, how to catch your 1st 20 etc. as an angler, I feel i'm at a level in my fishing that I feel I can use my experience to make my own decisions, and not be guided by "how to" articles. But mags are there to make a profit, their money lies in telling anglers who want to listen how to use PVA, or the new wonder rig. So long as anglers want to read this info, then they will.continue to but them. I don't think mags should be slated for meeting a need. The fact I don't like them is a personal thing, I wood not look at another any less for finding them informative and interesting. I think as you become more experienced, with more skills, you tend to rely less on mags and start to work things out for yourself. I do enjoy reading carpworld from time to time, brought a copy yesterday, 1st mag brought in over 2yrs!

:roll:

I don't like or but any mags anymore, except the occasional carpworld. Got it this month, there is a thought provoking piece from mark Holmes I think, which was a fair piece about passing information from anglers to others. I only read carpworld when I can find it as the articles are more informative, interesting and not full of plugs and adverts. However, mags need to cater for their biggest audience, which are information hungry anglers. Wanting to know all about PVA, new rigs, wonder baits, how to catch your 1st 20 etc. as an angler, I feel i'm at a level in my fishing that I feel I can use my experience to make my own decisions, and not be guided by "how to" articles. But mags are there to make a profit, their money lies in telling anglers who want to listen how to use PVA, or the new wonder rig. So long as anglers want to read this info, then they will.continue to but them. I don't think mags should be slated for meeting a need. The fact I don't like them is a personal thing, I wood not look at another any less for finding them informative and interesting. I think as you become more experienced, with more skills, you tend to rely less on mags and start to work things out for yourself. I do enjoy reading carpworld from time to time, brought a copy yesterday, 1st mag brought in over 2yrs!

Very well put. I agree with that!

ok so if we know the carp mags are full of adverts and the same advice rolled out seasonally why are they still being purchased and read?

i was at the coast over the last few days and I picked up a copy of Sea Angler to get some advice about rods and baits etc, I was very close to going into a tackle shop and impulse buying a rod n reel and a few bits of kit. I was relying on the advice of the sea anglers in the mag.

Surely there must be some newbie carp anglers hoping for the same sort of starters advice.

any one on here fish from the beach?

ok so if we know the carp mags are full of adverts and the same advice rolled out seasonally why are they still being purchased and read?

i was at the coast over the last few days and I picked up a copy of Sea Angler to get some advice about rods and baits etc, I was very close to going into a tackle shop and impulse buying a rod n reel and a few bits of kit. I was relying on the advice of the sea anglers in the mag.

Surely there must be some newbie carp anglers hoping for the same sort of starters advice.

any one on here fish from the beach?

I have fished on a beach a few times :)

I have a subscription to sea angler, as I am well out of practice with beachcasting, in these instances, I have found information that's been useful. I have noticed that their less plugs, adverts and things like the things that put me off carp mags. However as I do more sea fishing, I am now less interested in the mags for information, preferring the diary pieces instead. Mags have a place, and I think newcomers to the sport can get pointers which more experienced carpers need less of. I have noticed that more experienced carpers get more out of forums like this.