360 rig help

adamsnell

20130210_201221.jpg

There is the rig i tied my self it is a size 8 mugga continental tied on with 15lb jrc coccoon in green with a size 11 ring swivel with a korda anti tangle sleeve in weed to match the hooklink

I know there is alot of controversy behind this rig because of the way it is tied meaning that when you land a fish because there is kno line around the eye of the hook it can occasionally get stuck in the net and rip the fishes mouth but when i am on the bank i will put some shrink tubing over the eye to stop this from happening.

My question is how do i keep the swivel on the bottom i tried using rig putty but it seems like you have to put a ridicolous ammount of putty around the centre of the swivel to makesure it stays to the bottom and even then it doesnt sit firm on the bottom the pop up im using is a 15mm mainline fruitella and i just carnt seem to keep it down

Any help would be much appreciated.

Why don't you use a micro swivel instead of the hair, it will add a little weight, plus you don't really need the ring swivel at the bottom of the hook, for the turning capability, you can tie it straight to a nice supple braid.

Why don't you use a micro swivel instead of the hair, it will add a little weight, plus you don't really need the ring swivel at the bottom of the hook, for the turning capability, you can tie it straight to a nice supple braid.

Never thought of using a micro swivel thay could work but as for replacing the swivel with steipped back braid i dont think thats the same as having coated alk the way through and then a swivel as the swivel allows 360 movement where it lands so that where ever the carp comes from it will turn and hook in

have you actually tried the rig with braid :) on testing i have found the hook spins the same as it would if you used the ring swivel

Yeah i have a few tied up with braid but i always thought ring swivels would work better

I'm never sure that swivels work particularly well as we use them in fishing.

I don't think that there is a need to be so complicated most of the time, a basic standard pop-up rig will work.

If you do need to use a 360, then you will have to use whatever weight it takes to get the hook to sit as you want it.

I'd change 2 things. Firstly change the hook. The mugga eye doen't sit right for the rig. Try the Fox Arma point LSC or similar. Then trim the pop up down to balance the rig.

Looked up fox lsc and they dont do them in barbless are there any hooks like the lsc that are barbless

A few comments:

A ring swivel (as previously mentioned) will be better on the hook. See Nige's recent photo tutorial for a cracking way to fix the swivel and bait on.

Maybe try a size 6 or slightly thicker shank hook for more weight. I personally like the carp r us long shank nailers.

The tubing on the left hand side (ie on the swivel) will inhibit the pivot into the fishes mouth.

Whilst not a pure 360 rig (more of a hinged stiff rig), you could consider a length of mono in between the hook and the swivel. This allows you to vary the distance between the deck and the pop up and if you crimp it on adds weight.

A loop knot to the ring swivel (Rather than the fixed one you use) will add potentially add more movement to the rig.

A few comments:

A ring swivel (as previously mentioned) will be better on the hook. See Nige's recent photo tutorial for a cracking way to fix the swivel and bait on.

Maybe try a size 6 or slightly thicker shank hook for more weight. I personally like the carp r us long shank nailers.

The tubing on the left hand side (ie on the swivel) will inhibit the pivot into the fishes mouth.

Whilst not a pure 360 rig (more of a hinged stiff rig), you could consider a length of mono in between the hook and the swivel. This allows you to vary the distance between the deck and the pop up and if you crimp it on adds weight.

A loop knot to the ring swivel (Rather than the fixed one you use) will add potentially add more movement to the rig.

Do you perhaps have a link for niges photo.

A few comments:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=55738

There you go mate.

A few comments:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=55738

There you go mate.

Oo may i say that that is genious i tip my hat off to you mate

Can't take any credit for the swivel on the 'D', or for the blobbing of floss. Two separate ideas that I have seen and liked so incorporated them into the way I mount a bait on a chod rig.

I did think about the shot on the swivel though. Although I am sure others have done it/thought of it. Just I have never seen it before. I started by having the shot on the loop but it progressed to how it is in the photos.

Can't take any credit for the swivel on the 'D', or for the blobbing of floss. Two separate ideas that I have seen and liked so incorporated them into the way I mount a bait on a chod rig.

I did think about the shot on the swivel though. Although I am sure others have done it/thought of it. Just I have never seen it before. I started by having the shot on the loop but it progressed to how it is in the photos.

Yeah i thought about puttin the shot on the eye but didnt think it would sit right never thought off using bait floss once again genious!

Hi

I have found the heavier the hook and swivels arrangment are and the more bouyent the popup, the better the whole thing works.

So use heavy gauge wire hooks etc and a shot directly below the swivel.

The bouyant hook bait pulling against the hooking arrangment makes the swivel work.

Two further things, although I have used the rig an awfull lot, I have still never found any mouth dammage :)

And finaly, I am posting a couple of pictures, they are not meant to antagonise anyone in anyway :wink: but they were posted on this forum a few years ago.

They are of the actual rig that landed my first 50.

forumoldrigsmarch2010009.jpg

forumoldrigsmarch2010007.jpg

And for those interested here is a size 18 hooking arrangment and still no mouth dammage :wink:

forumoldrigsmarch2010004.jpg

forumoldrigsmarch2010005.jpg

liam part of the reason i use the withy is because the bend in the shrink tube acts as one big hook, once it goes in it stays in. and i have very rarely if not ever lost a fish on this rig, due to a hook pull. :wink:
fair enough as said on other threads it all comes down to confidence. Although the withy pool rig isnt something id use its not as techniqucal as 360. I just like to keep things as simple as possible. I hardly used pop ups at all until i fished a lake called trench my target fish had only been out 3 times in around 20 years i managed to catch it and a some of rarely caught known fish and a few unknowns within a few months while those useing bells and whistle pop up rigs were haveing blank after blank i was top rod by far. Im not trying to big my self up just trying to get across how effective simple rigs can be no need to add swivels here and rings there.

Hi I am an angler, although I fish mainly for carp.

I have always sort out the best methods and equipment I can to angle as best I can.

I will tell you the tail of the size 18 360 rig.

You will know how many tench there are in most gravel pits being fished by arp anglers.

You will also know most carp anglers use baits small enough for tench, yet very few actualy get caught.

I was tempted by a shoal of huge tench living in a very large gravel pit in Berkshire, a pit that was fish every day by some of the best and famous carp and specimen anglers in the UK.

Finding them and getting them to eat was simple, getting them hooked was almost impossible.

I had three rods out on the bait and I tried EVERY trick in the book.

My results were 2 fish 7&8.5lb on the mag aligner over 12 days and stacks of roach ,rudd etc.

On a hunch I tried the little 360, the difference was unbeleavable to say the least, I got 9 fish between 6 and 11 lbs in 3 days!.

Now I am not saying that the 360 is the be all of rigs, it is not, but in those conditions, there is nothing to come close.

There are between 2&3 of these fish come out a year to other specimen anglers.

People tell me that this and that rig work the same! rubbish, they do not come close.

I have used the 360 for a long time and tested it under water against alsorts of other rigs.

I was probably one of the very first to use the rig, by accident I might add.

I was walking round a large gravel pit and happened on the rig on the deck, I picked it up examined it and for safety reasons :oops: put it in my pocket.

I tried it in the margins with a bottom bait and then a popup, the following week I caught a 50 on it and I was hooked!

I now beleave the rig was left on the bank by MR Lane.

that is interesting frank! can I ask which rig components you use, and have found are the best? pm if u want :wink:. take it u use something like a size 11 uni link swivel, size 6 fox series 5? just want to get the weight of components right so the rig sits how it should. obviously the buoyancy of the pop up makes a difference aswell. also what bottoms do u fish the rig over? might have to give this rig ago :).