weed fishing

nathanhuynh

When you are fishing through heavy weed and cant find a gap with the marker float then you will need to up your game. Let me tell you, chod rigs are not the answer, they dont provide perfect weed presentation. All you need is a loose lead clip with leader, eg:korda or nash and a long braid hooklength of about 12inches (1 foot). Use a pop-up bait and hook on a PVA nugget before casting. It will now slowly sink down ontop of the weed and your lead will break through the weed and your 12inch hooklength is really going to help...

i agree with what you say on the rig and presentation side of things but imo you carnt fish really heavy weed properly with out a boat. Also dont think you need to nesseraly drop the the lead if you have boat or even if you havnt sometimes. I think if you keep the lead the pressare is on the lead and not just the hook hold and the fish is less likely to to charge threw multiple weed beds it really depend on the type of weed i think.

I dont agree with any of it bar the hooklink length......a leader in heavy weed is nothing more than increasing the risk of tethering...and a lead that isnt on a clip is compounding that issue by providing an anchor in heavy weed.

When you are fishing through heavy weed and cant find a gap with the marker float then you will need to up your game. Let me tell you, chod rigs are not the answer, they dont provide perfect weed presentation. All you need is a loose lead clip with leader, eg:korda or nash and a long braid hooklength of about 12inches (1 foot). Use a pop-up bait and hook on a PVA nugget before casting. It will now slowly sink down ontop of the weed and your lead will break through the weed and your 12inch hooklength is really going to help...

Chods don't work......really ..ask stoogi :lol:

Nobody saying chods dont work but the be end all of rigs just cause its in vogue. i think there better to present baits than chods in alot of situations its well over used. As for what i said about not always dropping leads im not talking bout putting the tail rubber on the lead clip overly tight the lead can still eject if need be its no different as open water fishing i dont drop the lead on the take but if the fish got in trouble the lead can still eject its still safe set up. There are weed situations when i would drop the lead on the take but there times when i wont.

What bobbin would you suggest? :wink::D

Wouldn't want to use a leader in weed. In fact, I would try my hardest to avoid them altogether if possible.

What bobbin would you suggest? :wink::D

Wouldn't want to use a leader in weed. In fact, I would try my hardest to avoid them altogether if possible.

I wouldn't use a leader in a water with any weed or snags, and I would prefer NOT to use a lead clip that may or may not discharge the lead if it got caught up. Tie the lead on with a piece of fine line or attach it with a paperclip.

The other thing is that a zipp shaped inline lead may also slide through the weed easily without snagging up, and with that fitted breakaway style will likely be very safe. Also can put the whole lot in a bag, hook, bait, hooklink and lead.

Use a pop-up bait and hook on a PVA nugget before casting. It will now slowly sink down ontop of the weed and your lead will break through the weed and your 12inch hooklength is really going to help...

It won't slowly sink, it'll stay popped up at 12 inches :?

salokcinnodrog

I would advise in weed that you use super slack line, I am not the best to be giving advise on line tention but a nice slack sinking line works as well as a leader. I use a leader to stop the line from cutting into the fish. Your line should be tentioned by a light bobbin but your tips should be under water.

salokcinnodrog

I would advise in weed that you use super slack line, I am not the best to be giving advise on line tention but a nice slack sinking line works as well as a leader. I use a leader to stop the line from cutting into the fish. Your line should be tentioned by a light bobbin but your tips should be under water.

Line cutting into fish is another load of rubbish spread by the tackle manufacturers.

Do you use a leader when you fish zig rigs or floater fishing?

I somehow think NOT.

Plain straight through mono stands less chance of cutting fish than leadcore, and a leader in weed is an absolute danger that can risk fish beng tethered in the event of a break-off. You are adding another weak spot in your line, that of the knot joining the mainline to the leader, and under pressure is the first place that breaks. With a snapped off leader, if a fish is going round in the weed, it doesn't take much for the rubbish to build up and for the fish to become tethered.

As for slack line, considering you were asking about line tension and bobbins on another thread (see I do read :P:lol: ), I know a fair bit about slack line fishing, and it only works effectively with a running lead, which to my mind can only be fished with a pendant lead, not an inline. You can even fish slack lines with a very heavy bobbin, but with the indicator at maximum drop, i.e. the weight does NOT come into play until the fish starts to take line.

Note, I do say I use inlines in weed, but for that I resort to a tight line, and stay semi-fixed.

If your fishing a very weedy water and not useing a boat the fish are in far more potencial danger weather theres a leader or not. If you use a boat you land 80 per cent of the fish you hook and get the rig back the other 20 per cent of the time so its the safest way to fish. Not useing leaders is neither here nor dare if the fish is left trailing 50 or hundred yards of line round in a weedy lake. strong gear and a boat will avoid teatherd fish.

I never have used leadcore or any leader in my fishing and have never had any problems. I have thought about using them many times but just cant think of a good enough reason so i dont. i sometimes use tubing to pin the line on the bottom but thats about it.

i prefer using zig rigs in the weed if im honest.

to be honest, I only use a leader because the people in the tackle shop ie.bryan jarrett, say to use one.

I don't necessarily use all the advice I've been told in the local tackle shop.

I'm with James, if I want to provide some protection (more to the mainline than the fish), then I will use tubing. Everything I caught this winter has been on mainline straight through, with no tubing.

I used to use tubing almost every time, but after seeing some of Moorsey's results on his plain straight through mainline I thought what the heck, I can convince myself its not needed.

Not every piece of advice that you receive or hear of from Big Name anglers is the safest thing you can do, after all, I can think of a couple who advocate long lengths of leadcore.

Have Fun reading this little lot:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25587

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32598

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39794