Alternatives to floss for baiting chod rigs.

welder

Well, ask and you shall receive. :)

Gentlemen, thank you, no shortage of food for thought. I've just bought some of the Avid Carp Flying Chod Beads off eBay, the ones Chris suggested. I like the idea of using them as, like Carl Beza, I prefer to use slack lines and these should act to pin down the terminal end of things well.

I'm from the "keep it simple" school of thought so will, in future, initially try the doubled-back bait band idea from Del and/or Mick's suggestion of using a short length of fine braid as an artificial hair. This would offer the opportunity to vary the distance between bait and hook to suit circumstances.

Also like Andy's idea of the bait screw tied with floss to the ring on my pre-tied rigs.

Hey, I'm never too old to learn and what better school than this forum?

Ian

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy to help mate....the elasticity also helps evade it being whipped by coots ...in fact it adds a spot of entertainment watching them get proper annoyed about it :lol: ....certainly not rubbishing anyone elses ideas etc...far from it...as you say..what better place to learn than here.....but as you say...I also like to 'keep it simple" :wink:

Del

I use chod rigs quite a lot. They suit what I'm fishing over and present the bait as I want it.

The way I tie them now has evolved and changed until I have found something that I am totally happy with.

The popups I use have varying degrees of buoyancy. I can simply change the size of shot to suit. No messing about with putty. Having the shot where it is allows the rig to sit in a much more pleasing way than the putty version does.

The rig has so much free movement compared to a 'standard' way of tieing them. As mentioned, that's how I started using them and adapted to suit.

I have also developed a way to fish worms on the chod which I haven't seen anyone else doing. I've not used it that often but have a couple of waters in mind where I feel it should fish well.

I don't think that the way I tie them is over complicated in any way. The ring on the D is replaced by a mini swivel, the putty is replaced by a shot. There is a loop at the swivel end rather than a grinner or the like. Again, this aids movement in the rig.

I used to use a figure of 8 loop but was shown, on here, the perfection loop. So much neater and the line leaves the knot with no side kink whatsoever.

Mick persuaded me that I ought to try chod rigs (I know that silt rigs is their true title but I don't care). Tried it and caught a couple of nice nige's.

I've got my head around the noose type of knot for tying pop up/tictac/whatever to the ring at the shank of the hook, using bait/dental floss but I've got big, clumsy fingers and find tying them on the bank to be a pain.

Is there a more user-friendly method I can use, please? I'm thinking about some sort of bait band or similar.

Grateful for all suggestions and advice.

Ian

Ian,

I'm the same with tying loops on the bank, so tend to tie up a load of pop-ups at home with Sainsbury's basics floss, or even 4lb mono. In my case, it can be quicker to tie (or clip) on a fresh ready baited rig than tying baits on on the bank, so I have a few mega hard meshed hookbaits already on rigs in the rig bins.

Tie a Uni knot loop at the end of the floss, and put your pop-up in it. Then with the 2 tag ends tie the pop-up on the bank to your rig ring with a couple of overhand knots, and then lighter blob the tag ends to stop them pulling free.

There was another thread on it, https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=48557&highlight=bait+floss although since I wrote that, I have switched back to dental floss as I have been using rig rings and the like for my hairs on a snowman set-up, and floss tends to avoid the little blighters called crays who can cut mono with their claws :evil:

The other thing I found with meshing baits and tying them on, is that the stocking mesh tends to offer better grip than the perfectly smooth skin of a standard pop-up

I use chod rigs quite a lot. They suit what I'm fishing over and present the bait as I want it.

The way I tie them now has evolved and changed until I have found something that I am totally happy with.

The popups I use have varying degrees of buoyancy. I can simply change the size of shot to suit. No messing about with putty. Having the shot where it is allows the rig to sit in a much more pleasing way than the putty version does.

The rig has so much free movement compared to a 'standard' way of tieing them. As mentioned, that's how I started using them and adapted to suit.

I have also developed a way to fish worms on the chod which I haven't seen anyone else doing. I've not used it that often but have a couple of waters in mind where I feel it should fish well.

I don't think that the way I tie them is over complicated in any way. The ring on the D is replaced by a mini swivel, the putty is replaced by a shot. There is a loop at the swivel end rather than a grinner or the like. Again, this aids movement in the rig.

I used to use a figure of 8 loop but was shown, on here, the perfection loop. So much neater and the line leaves the knot with no side kink whatsoever.

Nige...I hope you dont think I was rubbishing your way of doing things mate???...certainly wasnt......I have to keep fiddly rig work to a bare minimum due to arthritis in both hands...fingers dont do what they could a while back....so I have to make it easy for me to be able to tie up etc with this in mind :wink: .....the split shot is good.....used it for a while :wink:

Any idea what section that thread was in that Dan put up with that loop on? Good that was, forgot about it :lol:

Nige...I hope you dont think I was rubbishing your way of doing things mate???...certainly wasnt......I have to keep fiddly rig work to a bare minimum due to arthritis in both hands...fingers dont do what they could a while back....so I have to make it easy for me to be able to tie up etc with this in mind :wink: .....the split shot is good.....used it for a while :wink:

Not at all mate. I just wanted to explain why I do it like I do. Frank mentioned something on a thread a few years ago. He said something like people will show why they use but don't explain why or how they do it. I noticed I had done this after Guy's comment.

As mentioned, I have made lots of changes to it and am happy that I am fishing it to its best ability now. That's not to say it won't change further if I see someone else's ideas and think its better than what I do now. Like you and Ian have said - learning all the time

:D

Hi Lads, I know I am repeating an earlier post of mine, but due to Archie attacking my hands I realy struggle, not only with tying on popups but also putting baitstops in place on normal boilies.

If my hands are bad I attach a bait band onto my rig [regardless of type], I then pull the stretched baitband through the boilie/popup/pellet.

When the bait band is released it fills the whole and makes it water tight, so there is no worry on water ingress.

It also means I can rebait the same rig very easily and quickly.

I -pressume this is the same method as del on popups.

And before someone suggests it! I have never lost a boilie on the cast.

Hi Lads, I know I am repeating an earlier post of mine, but due to Archie attacking my hands I realy struggle, not only with tying on popups but also putting baitstops in place on normal boilies.

If my hands are bad I attach a bait band onto my rig [regardless of type], I then pull the stretched baitband through the boilie/popup/pellet.

When the bait band is released it fills the whole and makes it water tight, so there is no worry on water ingress.

It also means I can rebait the same rig very easily and quickly.

I -pressume this is the same method as del on popups.

And before someone suggests it! I have never lost a boilie on the cast.

Exactly the same Frank...so much easier if my hands are almost locked up....same for all rigs thesedays....a very welcome addition to my rig wallet :wink: .....and nope...never lost one on the cast either...as i said...I feel more confident of the bait staying on with this method over a longer period too as it cuts water ingress as you say. :wink:

Never thought of a bait band on the d, good idea. But while my fingers still work I'll stick to tying them on with floss :wink:. I must say lads, good thread. Sticky? :D

Also lads, out of curiosity, on a naked chod how far do you allow the hooklink to travel before it hits the bead, as when i used to use leadcore (dont anymore) i used to let it run about 8 foot. but as im now using 20lb x line, would you change this as there isnt the weight of the leadcore to help hook the carp? Would you change lead size to a heavier lead also incorporating hooking mechanics? would be interesting to see your views..

Never thought of a bait band on the d, good idea. But while my fingers still work I'll stick to tying them on with floss :wink:. I must say lads, good thread. Sticky? :D

Also lads, out of curiosity, on a naked chod how far do you allow the hooklink to travel before it hits the bead, as when i used to use leadcore (dont anymore) i used to let it run about 8 foot. but as im now using 20lb x line, would you change this as there isnt the weight of the leadcore to help hook the carp? Would you change lead size to a heavier lead also incorporating hooking mechanics? would be interesting to see your views..

I said this a very long time ago, as I refused to use leadcore, I was practicing the " Naked chod" as it seems to be known, whist most hadnt heard of it .

I do not use a top bead, I have never found a reason to use one and I use the lightest leads possible and on small lakes I often use 1/2oz leads.

I have been told by "experts"that it wont work!, well I must ONLY fish for suicidle carp.

like the worm idea any chance it would work with maggot i dont like cork etc as it looks untidy the way i do it :?

like the worm idea any chance it would work with maggot i dont like cork etc as it looks untidy the way i do it :?

You could mount a cork ball like a popup as normal. Then just glue the maggots to it?

You could mount a cork ball like a popup as normal. Then just glue the maggots to it?

Yeah thoguht that but was interested if the worm idea was better, Im gonna do some work on rig's this spring and hopefully get on a few decent waters to try it out :wink:

Used a syringe for about twenty years now to pop a bunch of worms up :wink: ......long hair ..about ten lobs..9 of which are halved..then threaded onto the needle and fed onto the hair..thread the full lobby onto the needle at each end and again in the middle..long hair stop..pull them tight on so they dont wriggle free....syringe air into the full lobs middle section :wink:

Ive found the best way to use worms is to put 2 lobs directly on to a size 2 hook or 5 or dendrobeinas on to a size 4 or 6 depending how big they are . nice and simple. I find them most effective in clear shallow water or dropping them amongst feeding fish when stalking. i quite often use worms as a boilie stop more attractive than a peice of plastic!

Used a syringe for about twenty years now to pop a bunch of worms up :wink: ......long hair ..about ten lobs..9 of which are halved..then threaded onto the needle and fed onto the hair..thread the full lobby onto the needle at each end and again in the middle..long hair stop..pull them tight on so they dont wriggle free....syringe air into the full lobs middle section :wink:

I'm fairly sure that the very first question I asked on this forum was about using a syringe to help in popping up lobworms. I've forgotten what the replies were. :oops:

Where do I buy a suitable syringe, please?

Ian

Ian....pretty certain you can usually pick them up in the predator section in most tackle shops now mate....failing that will bring you a couple down to Barston. to make use of......best way I have found of presenting them, never failed me to be fair :wink:

I'm fairly sure that the very first question I asked on this forum was about using a syringe to help in popping up lobworms. I've forgotten what the replies were. :oops:

Where do I buy a suitable syringe, please?

Ian

You can get them in the predator section Ian, I got some myself recently :D