Line tension

como1234

Hello all hope you had a good Christmas and new year, this is the year I aim to catch my first 30....now iv read different techniques on line tension I just wonder in your opinion what is best, completely slack lines that now from the rod tip or the old school approach of tight lines? thanks for replies

Most of my fishing at the minute is long range. I like to get the line on the deck for the last 40-50 yards (estimated btw) but its pretty taught at the rod end.

If I was fishing at less than 40 yards I would want my line slack all the way back.

Hello all hope you had a good Christmas and new year, this is the year I aim to catch my first 30....now iv read different techniques on line tension I just wonder in your opinion what is best, completely slack lines that now from the rod tip or the old school approach of tight lines? thanks for replies

Don't rush yourself, enjoy your fishing and learn from what you are doing.

A fish comes when it comes, be it 20lb or 30lb. It may be shown that 30's abound everywhere, yet the truth is that they are still few and far between.

If you fish for a particular fish you may stop enjoying what you are doing.

As much as I can, I prefer to fish slack lines and running leads.

John's link will give a lot of my reasons behind it, although I think that if you fish a slack line with a semi-fixed lead, you could well be missing out on a lot of fish.

Don't rush yourself, enjoy your fishing and learn from what you are doing.

A fish comes when it comes, be it 20lb or 30lb. It may be shown that 30's abound everywhere, yet the truth is that they are still few and far between.

If you fish for a particular fish you may stop enjoying what you are doing.

As much as I can, I prefer to fish slack lines and running leads.

John's link will give a lot of my reasons behind it, although I think that if you fish a slack line with a semi-fixed lead, you could well be missing out on a lot of fish.

Found that out last year with semi fixed leads on slack lines at distance fish swimming back towards you didnt register not so much of a problem when fishing close in though .running leads the way forwards for slack line fishing with big heavy leads fix the lead with pva tape to stop the lead travelling back up the line job done.

Tight lines all the way......and am prepared to bet that they will be backin favour in the near future...better indication...pure and simple

^^^^^^ What he said. Don't worry about which bandwagon to jump on just do what works.

like anything theres a place for slack and tight lines i use both mainly semi slack at moment so still register drop back only get one bleep do if i do get drop back. but its enough to make you aware something could be happening. but its very rare i get finicky takes uselly always one noters. as for tight lines giveing better indication i dont beleive that they do a drop on ur swinger lets the swinger do wat its designed to do which is indicate whats happening if its tight there isnt much travel so the swinger cant indicate as it only has an inch before its against the rod or alarm depending on which indicators you use. if the swinger moves from a slack line position to the top dare a likely hood that somethings is on the end as you no the swinger has moved a fair bit. if your swinger is tight to begin with it moves very little.