Help wanted with presentation

carpdawe

H i All,

I am experiencing difficulties with hook holds on bottom baits my situation is I have a chod rig on one rod for pop ups etc which hooks fine everytime however my bottom bait presentation is not good lost two runs friday through poor hook hold.

The lake bed I am fishing is a small syndicate lake weed and bit of silt on the bottom, I presented a bottom bait in one area and a pop up in the other

two runs on bottom bait lost both

one run on pop up banked a 13lb mirror

I really need help with a proven reliable and simple bottom bait rig what do you recommend?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

carpdawe Posted: 20th Oct 2012 17:26 Post subject: Help wanted with presentation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

H i All,

I am experiencing difficulties with hook holds on bottom baits my situation is I have a chod rig on one rod for pop ups etc which hooks fine everytime however my bottom bait presentation is not good lost two runs friday through poor hook hold.

The lake bed I am fishing is a small syndicate lake weed and bit of silt on the bottom, I presented a bottom bait in one area and a pop up in the other

two runs on bottom bait lost both

one run on pop up banked a 13lb mirror

I really need help with a proven reliable and simple bottom bait rig what do you recommend?

When I look at lost fish, I tend to consider that the hook and bait didn't go in deep enough, so I tend to consider that either I wasn't feeding enough to get the fish comfortable feeding and able to get the bait in properly, or if I can't change the baiting situation I tend to lengthen the hair and/or rig length.

There is no reason to change the rig itself, unless you are using something super complicated, in which case go back to basics and a simple knotless knot and hair, or on occasions switch from that simple rig and just add a line aligner.

The rig itself is very rarely a problem, just getting the fish to take the bait deeply by giving more separation with a longer hair.

Thanks guys,

standard knotless not set up with korda hook flourocarbon hooklength 1"hair

there's Quite a few on here that might say it's your hook...I did try korda hooks because I do use some of there other products but wasn't impressed with the hooks... I've been using gardner mugga hooks for years and have confidence in them might be worth looking at .

Phil

Guest keenook

Indeed! You must understand the mechanics of the rig!

I only use one, my own. Why just one you may ask?

The reason is simple!!!

CONFIDENCE!!!

I can use my rig in the margins, or cast to 100+ Yards!

No need for tubing as it is tangle free.

It is 99% impossible for a Carp to eject, purely down to the material used in it's make up!

Effective over soft deep silt or gravel.

I never change the length.

And it has caught 100's of Carp to over 50lbs+

And Carp have not seen it before!

So why would I need to change anything?

Fluro rigs I tend to use a wide gape or chod hook,and use a braided hair. I thread the hair braid through the eye of the hook,then tie the Fluro knot less knot and trim the tag end down this nips the hair to the shank to hold it all in place. The extra movement of the hair helps the hook holds alot as the bait can eject leaving the hook prime

The reason is simple!!!

CONFIDENCE!!!

It is 99% impossible for a Carp to eject, purely down to the material used in it's make up!

How has it caught 100's of carp if they haven't seen it?! Lol

Being serious though Kev. Do you really think that it has a rate as high as 99% of carp not being able to eject or is it tongue in cheek? If so, what makes the results so high?

I honestly don't think that there is a rig out there that can have that sort of ratio between getting the bait picked up and hooking a fish.

The reason is simple!!!

CONFIDENCE!!!

How has it caught 100's of carp if they haven't seen it?! Lol

Being serious though Kev. Do you really think that it has a rate as high as 99% of carp not being able to eject or is it tongue in cheek? If so, what makes the results so high?

I honestly don't think that there is a rig out there that can have that sort of ratio between getting the bait picked up and hooking a fish.

Agree with you Nige

And if there was such a rig you would be better off than danny f :wink:

Having watched the scaley beasts get away with it countless times in the margins i dont believe any rig has a more than 20% sucess rate. I dont let it worry me any more just plod along catching a few here and there.

Same mate, I have just started on a gin clear water.

I have used a rig on runs waters and caught countless amounts on it, so I know it works.

Took the rig to the new water and had 3 pick ups in one morning which I watched and all 3 carp got away with it, I reackon they where all definite PB's for me.

Gives me something to really concentrate on and get my fingers into...Exciting stuff!

Having watched the scaley beasts get away with it countless times in the margins i dont believe any rig has a more than 20% sucess rate. I dont let it worry me any more just plod along catching a few here and there.

jemsue5 wrote:

They suck it in they blow it out and occasionally i get lucky. I think you can see my thinking on rigs from that statement. Plenty of separation on bottom bait rigs with quite a long hair for me and chops or barrels as hook baits. Next to no separation on pop up rigs now both seem to work for me in my simple little uncomplicated rig world.

My only difference from Jez is that I often use a rig ring on the shank of the hook. It is not necessarily there for the sliding or blowback properties that it may offer, but for the simple reason that I can adjust the hair length to suit my fishing. I can attach a longer or shorter hair to the ring to suit the fishing.

I prefer to use a snowman presentation, it makes it more difficult in my mind to eject a "strange" shaped bait.

Rigs often fail the "palm test", yet would pass the "thumb test", but whether they fail both or not, getting the feeding situation right will mean that your hookbait is taken in more often. Then if you have got the hair length right you may hopefully get a decent hook-up and land the fish.

It is down, in my eyes, because people don't feed the situation correctly, that rigs become failures on many waters.

That is about the one thing that Korda Underwater Series show correctly. The fish get away with it most of the time, but the DVD's have made us paranoid and make us think that we can improve the ratio. The truth is that we can't just by piddling around with rigs.

As far as i'm concerned the palm and thumb tests are the biggest load of you know what in carp fishing. Utter and total gash like its the same as a carps gob sucking and blowing underwater.

That's my view as well, but even though you know that they are falsch, you still do it :lol::lol::lol:

Far better to use a turkey baster style test in the bath to work out how a rig behaves under water 8)

just read this thread a few times and started to wonder about hook size:idea:

forget about the stock levels for a moment...10lbers it seems get tripped more often than the 30s ...guessing that most will use 10-4 hook for all sizes...but the size of mouth differ far more than the next size hook up..

so could it be that we arent using a bigger enough hook :?::?::?: for the reason that these bigger fish dont get hooked??...if they are sucking it in then IMO they cant know its a trap...it seem that a lot is wrote about tweaking rigs but all have a standard size hook :idea:

i remember a link that i think stoogie put up, to a free online mag...that had a really interesting article where the guy had started to use cat fish hooks....it does seem obvious thinking about it that a small hook in a big mouth will have lower chance to hook when being ejected.

just read this thread a few times and started to wonder about hook size:idea:

forget about the stock levels for a moment...10lbers it seems get tripped more often than the 30s ...guessing that most will use 10-4 hook for all sizes...but the size of mouth differ far more than the next size hook up..

so could it be that we arent using a bigger enough hook :?::?::?: for the reason that these bigger fish dont get hooked??...if they are sucking it in then IMO they cant know its a trap...it seem that a lot is wrote about tweaking rigs but all have a standard size hook :idea:

i remember a link that i think stoogie put up, to a free online mag...that had a really interesting article where the guy had started to use cat fish hooks....it does seem obvious thinking about it that a small hook in a big mouth will have lower chance to hook when being ejected.

Interesting i must say, i have read about anglers looking closely at there quarry and changing hook and bait sizes accordingly.