no baiting the swim

doc0374

No means no! Ha ha no pva no catty no frozen icecubes with particle frozen in them. What I'd try is asking a warden if you can use a feeder cage with holes too small for anything to get through. Then you aren't leaving anything in the water and you still may attract fish with the scent of whatever bait you put inside, (luncheon meat, sardines, etc)

I take it you can only have the bait on your hook?

If that's the case, try using various paste mixtures starting with a crumb type bait (fast break down) then try something stiffer on the hook.

By fishing one day using a fast break-down bait for a couple of hours to see what is what :wink: Then maybe try something stiffer on a hair, but be careful because the hair can sometimes act like a cheeswire and pull out of the bait.

Bread can be used in a variety of ways; liquidised it can be formed into a ball and put on the hook; the only trouble is it breaks down quite quickly :wink:

Fishing with two rods means that you can fish something on the hook that you know will be there and use the other rod wih a bait that might not last very long near to it :wink:, that way you know you will have a working bait.

Don't get caught :wink:
This would be my approach I must admit... get there early bait the swim then fish over the top of it for the day. make sure you chuck it all in so if you get checked you only have your hookbait on you. I should think you would only have to do it a hand full of times to bring fish to your chosen area then fade it out and become a law abiding citizen again :wink:

hi Doc,

I fish and live here locally in the Colorado Springs area. I use a packbait of panko/creamed corn etc, around the hookbait - sometimes around the lead - works well here.

Yes, the no chumming law frustrating - just have to find alternate ways of getting your bait & attractant out there ! I know some who follow the "don't get caught" approach - works for them.

John

The other week I was down at Prospect Lake, Memorial Park, downtown here in Colorado Springs. There are many signs posted around the perimeter of the lake requesting people not to feed the ducks & geese. A family was sitting by one sign, with a huge flock of ducks, geese, as they fed them merrily by the sign - hell, they even took a picture of themselves next to lake, sign nearby !!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Its funny the law is there to protect the trout and other fish.... We have a season where chumming isn't allowed ....My advice is to do what we do. Have you seen when you make the popcorn lines for christmas... well use corn and mono at the end put a hook.