A dream come true

brighton_carper

Until quite recently I just fished my lake one night every other weekend, but it’s a hard water, and at that rate it might have taken me all year, if not longer, to get what I was after, so for the past three months, I have left work early every Wednesday, raced home, loaded up my stuff, and headed to the lake, fished till 5:30am, then packed up, headed home, showered, changed and caught the train back to work. It’s been knackering, and has caused a few barneys with the missus, but this morning, at about 4am it all became worth it. My left hand rod, placed on the exact spot where I caught my 22lb 8oz pb last year, in between some lilies and a tree, only 3ft from the bank, roared off. A proper one toner.

Wet socks, and a 10 minute fight later, I lifted what I thought was a decent 20 from the lake. Only as the fish left the water and I felt all of its weight did it dawn on me that I might have something even more special. By the time I got it to the mat my heart was absolutely pounding. When I moved the net away I nearly wet myself. There she was. Not particularly long, but the fattest, widest Carp I have ever seen. After zeroing the scales with the sling it tipped the scales at 34lbs 2oz. I don’t mind admitting that I shed a couple of joyful tears. My previous best Carp was, as I said, a 22lb 8oz Mirror. My previous best Common was 18lb 6oz.

I don’t know if it was switching from 15mm to 18mm boilies, or ditching the helicopter rig in favour of a basic in-line running rig, or if it was just my day, but right now I don’t care. It’s days like this that drive you on, that get you out of bed at silly O’Clock, in the pouring rain. God I love fishing.

One last thing. I’ve had a lot of advice and encouragement off some really decent chaps on this forum. You know who you are. Thank you.

Pics to follow

I haven't slept since I landed it, but I'm not even slightly tired. I'm still buzzing. The only trouble is I've got this pain in the back of my head from where I can't stop grinning.

Oh yeah, and can someone post up the link to how to post pics on here.

Cheers

T

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=36721

I haven't slept since I landed it, but I'm not even slightly tired. I'm still buzzing. The only trouble is I've got this pain in the back of my head from where I can't stop grinning.

Oh yeah, and can someone post up the link to how to post pics on here.

Cheers

T

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=36721

Thanks mate.

She's a real old warrior. Andy the bailiff reckons she's the second oldest fish in the lake. Went 38.12 a few years ago, but she's lost a bit of lard over the last few years. I texted him when I landed it, and he was awake, so seeing as he only lives 5 minutes away, he popped down and took the pics. Really nice guy. We weighed it on his scales to double check and it came up 34 dead, so I might meet in the middle and call it 34.1