Your favourite pop up rig other than a chod?

benji5857

The lake I am fishing has some choddy areas, silt in others and lillies and other potential snaggy bits. Popups are the most successful. Chod/silt rigs seem to be the favourite pop up rig but probably not the safest for this suituation with all the potential snags. Since my original posts I have been practicing tying chod rigs and I am happy that I can tie one where in the event of a breakage the hooklinkand lead can be ejected under light pressure. Even with this in mind it is probably still not the best rig to use for this venue so what's your favourite popup rig other than the chod that is suitable in snaggy waters?

I try to keep it as simple as possible with my pop-up rigs on pendant or inline leads.

I don't think that on most occasions a pop-up rig is actually sucked in at all, I think most pop-up baits are picked up, so with that in mind I keep the bait as tight as I can to the hookshank.

A "standard" hooklink, with at least part of it being supple (and braided), or hinged.

My "lazy" method is to tie a uni knot loop at the end of the hooklink, put the pop-up in, pull loop tight, and then attach hook by the knotless knot with the bait tight to the shank, maybe a small piece of silicon holding it in place. I also prefer "overweighting" the pop-up so that there is no way that it can be wafted about and risk foul hooking, although critically balancing it with only just enough weight to sink it can help at times.

Other than that, I do sometimes use a D-rig

iv been doing well on the park lake with this on a running lead. with two baits even after the coots had picked it up i was confident to leave it out still, just a slight tug to straighten it. with the beaked hook i could drag it over chod and it wouldnt hook any of it, or the coots as the hook was to far down...... and two of the takes from the carp had the hair cut off in their teeth.

IMG_5015.jpg