left or right hand casting?

gav30

I'm left handed (dominant side) for writing, use mouse in right. tennis left, cricket right, golf right (all back in the day) etc etc.

For casting i'm right handed (hold rod and feather cast with right hand, play fish right hand) and reel with the left as this just seems normal or "comfortable".

Now its bugging me as this all came about as i couldnt cast far enough on my new lake and it cheesed me off :)

im sure i could cast further casting left handed but in my head that would all be back to front feathering cast etc and i would have to put rod in right hand anyway to wind with left hand.

if giving it the big un right now my left foot should be forward as im casting right handed but it feels natural to put my right foot forward and my left be the standing leg.

i guess i need to get down lake and give it a try or am i just over complicating the whole thing and just forget about it as i've caught plenty as i am.

surely some others have the same thoughts?

Cheers

Gav

I have the identical combinations to you sports wise. I'm reasonably new to fishing at my ripe old age but I guess I've learnt the right handed way and stuck with it. I do sometimes feel I'd like to switch my reel handle over. Mmmmm might have a go next time out.

Right handed casting, left foot forward to take the lean forward pressure.

Every cast I put my left foot forward and use that to point my cast into the spot, so if I'm not getting in the spot I want to I can turn my foot slightly to get it right.

With a longer cast, it is that standing foot that takes the weight, a controlled thrash as it were. It is the same as when I used to do a lot of sports, my left foot was the "take-off" foot; long jump, American Football I would prefer to use my left if I could, and when playing soccer, my left foot is my usual standing foot (although I can kick with both feet).

Its down to you to work out which you are most comfortable using for fishing. If you are left handed, then it will be right foot forward, and switch the reel handles over to reel in the other way around :wink::lol:

I have the identical combinations to you sports wise. I'm reasonably new to fishing at my ripe old age but I guess I've learnt the right handed way and stuck with it. I do sometimes feel I'd like to switch my reel handle over. Mmmmm might have a go next time out.

yeah its probably a common lefty thing i guess but last thing i want now is to let it get in the way of my fishing. next time out i'll have a mess about with a spare rod and see whats what

Right handed casting, left foot forward to take the lean forward pressure.

Every cast I put my left foot forward and use that to point my cast into the spot, so if I'm not getting in the spot I want to I can turn my foot slightly to get it right.

With a longer cast, it is that standing foot that takes the weight, a controlled thrash as it were. It is the same as when I used to do a lot of sports, my left foot was the "take-off" foot; long jump, American Football I would prefer to use my left if I could, and when playing soccer, my left foot is my usual standing foot (although I can kick with both feet).

Its down to you to work out which you are most comfortable using for fishing. If you are left handed, then it will be right foot forward, and switch the reel handles over to reel in the other way around :wink::lol:

i can safely say i will not be reeling right handed as i know that just wouldnt work when playing a fish as im so set to using clutch etc with left hand.

oh joy :)

Interesting that this post should pop up , I'm thinking of changing to holding the rod with my left hand and reeling with my right, I've been plastering for over 15 years and my right shoulder is starting to feel the strain (Rotator cuff) and recently when playing a double it nearly pulled my arm off and was in agony for the rest of the day . some days can't even lift the weight of my arm up :shock: doesn't bode well for the future :roll:

I'd go and see the doc chill factor. I blew mine a few years back whilst training...tHey can be re habbed...

http://www.discussbodybuilding.com/Rehabilitation-exercises-for-rotator-cuff-injury-m60416.aspx

Anything other than turn to the abomination of lefty ism...worst than gingers.

:lol::lol::lol:

I'd go and see the doc chill factor. I blew mine a few years back whilst training...tHey can be re habbed...

http://www.discussbodybuilding.com/Rehabilitation-exercises-for-rotator-cuff-injury-m60416.aspx

Anything other than turn to the abomination of lefty ism...worst than gingers.

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks cob useful link that, My partner kate keeps telling me to go to the doctors :roll: I know I need to but you Know what we are like :roll: