Gardner Pro-Carp Monofilament Mainline

Gardner Pro-Carp Monofilament Mainline.

I was asked to test this line in 0.35mm diameter, so this is my initial findings, and as I did breaking strain tests on a spring balance I may have slightly different findings from professional tests. As of yet, I have not used the line "in anger" as it were, everything has been done on the workbench.

First test was to cut off 5x 1 metre lengths of Pro-Carp and attach them to a standard lanyard at both ends with a Uni knot, I then attached one lanyard to a fixed point (my garage wall), and the other to an old set of scales. (This is NOT recommended for your best fishing scales)

On 5 pulls until breaking the line, I got slightly different results, but that is down to eye on a set of scales, and hand working at the breaking point.

Test1 18.5lb

Test2 19.5lb

Test3 20lb

Test4 19lb and a bit

Test5 21lb

Please note, as I said it was my eye checking it as I pulled gradually backwards, so readings are NOT 100% accurate, but every test was well over the 15lb rating.

Next test, obviously how supple the line felt, and it was very smooth and supple, more supple than my other mono Daiwa Sensor, and it was actually visibly thinner.

I did cut another metre length, and dropping it in a bucket of water, it sunk very easily of its own accord without needing pushing under to break surface tension.

Loading onto the reels from a bucket of warm soapy water, it was smooth and went on very easily, no kinks, no twists and had a good line lay, again, better than Sensor.

As I said, first impressions and it has now been made my first choice line, it is on all 3 spools of my Baitrunners.

My only point of disappointment, and that is simply because I'm awkward is that the 15lb 0.35mm spool is supplied in a spool length of 920metres, I did have to put some backing on my 10000 baitrunner spools to get to the spool rim.

is this the line that gardener have just released?on my current syndicate there are a few gardener consultants,chatting to one of them he couldnt rate there new line highly enough.and all have said how good this line is,but they are going to say that aren't they.its good to hear an independant review.what sort of price is it nick out of curiosity?

is this the line that gardener have just released?on my current syndicate there are a few gardener consultants,chatting to one of them he couldnt rate there new line highly enough.and all have said how good this line is,but they are going to say that aren't they.its good to hear an independant review.what sort of price is it nick out of curiosity?

Gardner Pro Carp

£9.99

They brought out GT80,I presume it was meant to be an up-grade.

I did'nt like it and nowhere sells it anymore so I suppose the majority

of other peeps thought it was cack...

I've heard that myself zammo, got a couple of GR60 bulk spools from my mates shop as he said it would be his last delivery but it wont last for ever , it's a shame is a very good line imo

I've heard that myself zammo, got a couple of GR60 bulk spools from my mates shop as he said it would be his last delivery but it wont last for ever , it's a shame is a very good line imo

The replacement is called GR60X have a look on erics website.

I have been using insight GR60 line for years but i think they are fazing it out with some new versions taking its place , so will be interested in your findings Nick . Good work 8)

I must admit that I avoided GR60, for its breaking strain it was a very thick line (15lb was 0.40mm I think from memory), and compared to some other lines was expensive.

With the price of the Pro-Carp I'm a lot happier putting my money that way now :wink:

I have been using insight GR60 line for years but i think they are fazing it out with some new versions taking its place , so will be interested in your findings Nick . Good work 8)

I must admit that I avoided GR60, for its breaking strain it was a very thick line (15lb was 0.40mm I think from memory), and compared to some other lines was expensive.

With the price of the Pro-Carp I'm a lot happier putting my money that way now :wink:

IT is a little thicker in diameter but were only talking fractions of a mm its how it performs that matters to me and it's never let me down and there's a few people I know that swear buy it including uk carp champions . But everyone has there favourite I guess 8) thanks for your input though nick and will be keeping an eye on your bank side test of your new line. as i will need to change at some point. :D

ive spoke to 1 of the gardener consultants on my lake regarding this line again and he said that this new line has the same make up(co-polymer waffle thingy majig) as the gt80 i think but at less money.he says it has excellent abrasion qualities,as nick has already tested it has a higher breaking strain than quoted,it casts well,the more it is used the heavier the line becomes,so therefore sinking faster(so ideal if you like your line slack and on the deck),so looks like i'll be having me self some

chillfactor wrote:

zammmo wrote:

GT 80 has had a good following since its introduction in 2003.Sorry you didn't like it because we found it bullet proof. Its not in many shops at the moment because we're replacing it with GT80+ which has slightly better knot strength and abrasion resistance.

Original GR60 should be available for another 2 years possibly longer if demand continues.

Pro-Carp was introduced this year in an effort to provide a good reliable line for less than ten quid--check the knot strength against any .35 line,and the abrasion resistance is right up there.

Hope this helps.

Richard.

I switched to the GR60 this year and love it, yes its a little thick but I like the way it feels and the best sinking line, bar flouro, i've used. Not due for a change just yet, but its nice to know the 60 will be around for a bit yet if I stick with it.

at 9.99 though i'll be keeping ann eye on this review.

chillfactor wrote:

zammmo wrote:

GT 80 has had a good following since its introduction in 2003.Sorry you didn't like it because we found it bullet proof. Its not in many shops at the moment because we're replacing it with GT80+ which has slightly better knot strength and abrasion resistance.

Original GR60 should be available for another 2 years possibly longer if demand continues.

Pro-Carp was introduced this year in an effort to provide a good reliable line for less than ten quid--check the knot strength against any .35 line,and the abrasion resistance is right up there.

Hope this helps.

Richard.

Another constructive post from you Richard. It's nice to see a tackle company respond to posts in the way you do - no overselling or plugging etc. Just good feedback to the members on here, when the questions are asked. This is what, in my honest opinion, puts companies such as yours at the top of the pile. It would be great if others would follow suit.

chillfactor wrote:

zammmo wrote:

Hope this helps.

Richard.

Another constructive post from you Richard. It's nice to see a tackle company respond to posts in the way you do - no overselling or plugging etc. Just good feedback to the members on here, when the questions are asked. This is what, in my honest opinion, puts companies such as yours at the top of the pile. It would be great if others would follow suit.

I agree. So good to hear manufacturers being honest. Please carry on

Doug

Thanks for the comments Gentlemen,and I appreciate the chance to contribute to threads like this

I dont know Nick personally,but I asked for his opinion on Pro-Carp because he seems to know what he's talking about regarding Carp gear,and has used a popular economical line for years.He ties a good knot and I hope He likes the line after a thorough testing.

Pro-Carp and Gt80+ are based on a copolymer,which we have used for many years with some slight adjustments to help sink rate ,but not at the expense of casting performance.

Lewis Read deserves a mention for developing these lines,and I confirmed his results with knot and abrasion tests.

We are both responsible for any complaints---That keeps us on our toes. :)

chillfactor wrote:

zammmo wrote:

Hope this helps.

Richard.

Good to hear GR60 will be around for a few more years , and even better to hear from the manufacturers them selves. very impressed :D

Thanks for the comments Gentlemen,and I appreciate the chance to contribute to threads like this

I dont know Nick personally,but I asked for his opinion on Pro-Carp because he seems to know what he's talking about regarding Carp gear,and has used a popular economical line for years.He ties a good knot and I hope He likes the line after a thorough testing.

Pro-Carp and Gt80+ are based on a copolymer,which we have used for many years with some slight adjustments to help sink rate ,but not at the expense of casting performance.

Lewis Read deserves a mention for developing these lines,and I confirmed his results with knot and abrasion tests.

We are both responsible for any complaints---That keeps us on our toes. :)

As I mentioned on the first post on this line I have only used the line to test it. However, it has made it onto my reel spools as I know I mentioned about the slightly smaller spool quantity than I would have liked to fill my reels to the brim.

If I didn't like it, it would have gone into the bin, as a few other lines have gone that way in the past. Get a spool, it doesn't do what I think it should do, so it gets binned, or given to someone who is happy to accept my handoffs :?:lol::P .

I'd much rather spend money on what I know works rather than what may or may not work, so nearly all of my tackle gets tested thoroughly before being used in an actual fishing situation. (I think the only exception to this is leads).

As for the knots, when I did the breaking strain tests I used a Uni knot (my standard fishing knot); however just to be sure in my own mind using some shorter lengths I have tied a few other knots in the line, and it holds well.

Uni, Blood and Palomar knots haven't given way when tied to swivel and hook and pulled hard as you would (or should) test a hooklink.

I have not found many lines that will take various knots and still work.

I don't use Superglue on any knot I tie, every knot is just the knot holding the tackle together

I'm currently juggling life again so I can get some fishing time in, but I have a distinct feeling that Pro-Carp is likely to be my choice of mainline from now on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well due to my changing water this year, I still haven't put a fish on the bank while using it.

I have however found it casts more smoothly and further than my previous line.

The diameter of Pro-Carp means that where I had been casting around 90metres with a line of 0.36, as my top distance on the 10000 baitrunners, I'm getting closer to 100metres with a baited rig due to the 0.35mm of this line.

It casts smoothly, flies further, and is somehow more "comfortable".

One thing I will say, make sure when you load it, bed it down properly, reel in slowly instead of putting it on as fast as possible, but that is the same with any line.