Slack Lines

benji5857

Ok so I'm a novice when it comes to carp fishing so this might sound a bit obvious to you lot. I have read a few posts on slack lines or tight lines and I want to give the slack lines a try. My question is how slack do you have them? Do you literally just cast out and put your rods down or do you reel in until tight and then let a couple of feet back off the reel?

Hello there, what I do is when I cast out feel the lead down to the bottom (which is good practice any way) sink the line flick the bait runner on so if you need to let some line out on the way back to your bars/pod you can . Then i let the line bow down from the rod tip to the water and sink , and let it sit between the eye's of your rod not under any tension . I don't like it to slack as i feel the fish can move to far with your rig and you wont be in the know . hope this helps a little :D

I try and fish slack lines wherever possible and 99% of the time on a running lead. Cast out feel the lead down and set the rod on the rests and feed out a few ft of line from the reel. Let this sink so its totally limp from the rod tip and slack between the rod rings, you might have to feed out some more line. Only when its fully sunk do i attach a light bobbin or my usual slack line indicators MPS Defiant twitchers. Takes are normally screamers and i use leads of 1.5 to 2oz for the majority of my fishing.

Thanks for the advice. I always use a running rig set up, it's uncomplicated and always seems to get me results. So what about this feel the lead to the bottom? Are you supposed to be able to feel the lead hit the bottom through the line or something? I am going to use back leads for the first time on my next session as well. My friend was using them and caught mre fish than me last time.

No need for backleads on a slack line, feeling the lead down is just as the lead hits the water trap the line by the reel with your finger. With practice you will be able to feel the lead hit the lake bed and be able to tell what sort of bottom its landed on. Hard to explain but practice make perfect.

I only use bk leads if i no the bottoms flat and there no weed still use slackish lines wen using bk leads because if you have a drop on the indicator its more sencetive. Most my fishing involves a slack line unless near snags!

People worry that if they use slack lines, wont register drop bk but you can set ur swinger so you will still get a couple of bleeps on your alarm on a drop bk! I find the fox swingers the best all round indicator. It dont matter if its windy or flat calm slack lines all the way!

Thanks for the advice. I always use a running rig set up, it's uncomplicated and always seems to get me results. So what about this feel the lead to the bottom? Are you supposed to be able to feel the lead hit the bottom through the line or something? I am going to use back leads for the first time on my next session as well. My friend was using them and caught mre fish than me last time.

To be properly effective I still am of the opinion that slack lines only work properly with running leads and definitely NOT with a backlead.

Backleads can slow down indication at the rod end.

Any use?

(https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53626)

Adding the back lead, doesn't allow the line to follow the lakebed contours, it just tightens it up over them, so with a slack line that may fall down onto the lakebed, your're actually now pulling it tight again.

The running leads will give you instant indication, and indication of almost every sniff and miss, you don't hit it until you get a proper screamer. You need to have the indicator at maximum drop, laying on the ground and with the line running slack through that as well. In fact the line should be touching the base of every ring, properly slack with loops in between the eyes.

Not saying its right, but since I use running leads almost every time I fish, it works for me;

Cast out (and I'm fishing at ranges from 0-100metres), and feel the lead down on a tight line. With the line on a tight line, put the rod tip underwater and pull slack off the reel as you move the rod back to the buzzer. Keep on pulling line off to allow extra slack, then put the rod on the buzzer and attach indicator, pulling even more line off the reel. As it sinks through the water, it may start to pull your indicator up, each time, slacken off again. It may take as much as 20minutes for the line to go totally slack.

You don't get drop backs, the slack line under minimal tension means that line is pulled through the run ring signalling interest.

More in this thread:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53626

I use slack lines to to keep everything pinned to the bottom and the extra senceitivty is a bonus. Aint really worried bout bk lead cutting down senceitivty because weather they on or not im getting screming takes and even when i get a bream that aint running still getting indication with bk leads and slack line.

Also if whats been wrote is correct and slack lines are more senceitive and bk leads decrease senceitivity then surely if you use a SLACKISH line with bk leads your increasing the sencetivty.

I wouldnt slacken the line off as much with a bk lead as would with out but slackish lines and bk leads are fine in the right situation.

Wouldnt use either in snag situation.

Can i play devils advocate here, gents, when using mono straight through on a slack line. I did a couple of tests while on the bank again yesterday (professor test tube at work again) :lol: . Have you ever lay your rig down on the floor with your rod set up with an ultra slack line, if there are any kinks or twists in your line due to either playing a fish it will show up with an ultra slack line. I was going to do a new thread concerning this today but seeings as this one was on here i thought it better to put it on here. Just try it for yourselves, scruntch up the mono by your rig and lay it one the floor and place your rod on your pod or what ever and set everything as you would on the bank. On an ultra slack line you'll be horrified how it looks, i think its probably down to the memory in the mono, and i am using an 18lb line. The only way i could straighten the line was by using a back lead. And as you have all said a backlead does reduce sensitivity due to the angle of the line. Please try for yourselves and let me know how you get on.

I no wat u mean but the lines different when its submerged in water than when its dry. unless you done the test in swimming pool and followed the line from the tip to the lead. Its an impossible test do on land.

I do no what you mean about slack lines and kinks and line twist but its not as bad underwater as would be laying it across grass! But it can be a problem!

Maybe its just because i am using 18lb line that is fairly stiff by nature. I am fishing quite close, and i know the further away the line is cast out then the less likely this is going to happen, due to under tow and so on, but isnt everything lighter in water?

Yea but the line designed to sink in the water and it takes on water thats why you meant to spool up using a bucket of water.

The line behaves differently in water than if you laid it out on the lawn im not saying that slack lines and line twist in paticular aint a problem but there wont be as much of a problem when the lines under water as apposed to on grass!

Like i said earliar in the thread where ever possible i use slackish lines and bk leads a few thought it would be counter productive but i use what works for me.

I find useing slackish lines with bk leads makes little difference to my indication. In fact i beleive slack lines improve indication with with out out bk leads!

It dont make sence how with out a bk lead you get better indication with slack lines but with a bk lead you get better indication with tight line. Dont add up to me!

The weight of an object becomes lighter when immersed in water according to The Archimedes Principle. An object of 5N weighs 3.5N when immersed in water.

You have two points of main pressure one being the lead end and one being the indicator end, the only other in between would be the angle pressure caused by the rod tip.

So when you are fishing using a 3oz lead, when its immersed the weight is only the aquivalent of 1.5oz.

What i am saying is i know i did the test on the bank and not in the water and i was using a 3oz lead for the test, and the mono was kinked and twisted, with an ultra slack line.

Now seeings as the lead is actually lighter in water and is not exserting the pressure of a 3oz lead then it only stands to reason the line will still be kinked and twisted up in water.

Most mono's do take on water and this would help yes.

As i said i will do some testing.

The weight of an object becomes lighter when immersed in water according to The Archimedes Principle. An object of 5N weighs 3.5N when immersed in water.

You have two points of main pressure one being the lead end and one being the indicator end, the only other in between would be the angle pressure caused by the rod tip.

So when you are fishing using a 3oz lead, when its immersed the weight is only the aquivalent of 1.5oz.

What i am saying is i know i did the test on the bank and not in the water and i was using a 3oz lead for the test, and the mono was kinked and twisted, with an ultra slack line.

Now seeings as the lead is actually lighter in water and is not exserting the pressure of a 3oz lead then it only stands to reason the line will still be kinked and twisted up in water.

Most mono's do take on water and this would help yes.

As i said i will do some testing.

I have to disagree with some of your points.

Newton is a measurement of mass not weight, also how much water will have an effect on the mass of the lead. 20ft of water will have a different effect on the mass of the lead than 2ft of water.

All i am simply saying is that gravity pushes down and water pushes up, although the weight of an object doesnt change. The water pushes back on an object in proportion to the force exerted by gravity on the volume of the water that the object displaces.

As i said before i will test this out myself in water to see the results, i am only thinking off the top of my head at the moment. And like i said before it might be the case of my line being fairly stiff by nature that is making the scenario worse. :)

All i am simply saying is that gravity pushes down and water pushes up, although the weight of an object doesnt change. The water pushes back on an object in proportion to the force exerted by gravity on the volume of the water that the object displaces.

As i said before i will test this out myself in water to see the results, i am only thinking off the top of my head at the moment. And like i said before it might be the case of my line being fairly stiff by nature that is making the scenario worse. :)

I'll agree with you on that point :D