Anyone using old style rigs?

kurtisburton

Last few times ive been fishing ive had 2 totally different rigs. 99% of the time ill use a bolt rig with a safety lead clip with rig tubing and a flouro hook link. Although ive tried one on my usuall rig and the other with just a swivel a lead and just a normal mono hooklink with no camo or anything fancy. Guess which rig produced the most fish??????? The old style rig that i used to use when i was like 10. Im not going too keep using this rig because i have a lot more confidence in my usuall rig but when im fishing a few inch off trees and keep loosing my end tackle ill switch till end of session then go and stock back up before the rods come back out lol.does anybody else fish a verry simple rig that produces nice fish?

Yup, I do, 90% of my fishing is mono straight through, with a running ledger (as light as I can get away with) a stop shot between the lead and the hook to stop the lead running right down the rig and a hook tied to the end, If I'm using a hair rig then its nearly identical except I tie my hooklink out of mono 1lb less than the mainline I'm using, tie a bead onto the mainline just below the lead, then loop to loop the hooklink on.

Simple, easy and effective. If it aint broke, don't fix it! It's worked for me since I was 7 and is still working so why change it?

Occasionally I'll use different or more complicated rigs, but only if I feel the occasion calls for it. sometimes I REALLY like to spice it up a little and use a cage feeder instead of a lead! It's fun taking risks :wink:

Guest keenook

Occasionally I'll use different or more complicated rigs, but only if I feel the occasion calls for it.

Can you elaborate please on the things that would make you change your rig?

Occasionally I'll use different or more complicated rigs, but only if I feel the occasion calls for it. sometimes I REALLY like to spice it up a little and use a cage feeder instead of a lead! It's fun taking risks :wink:

Ey up,you'll have to change your user name to dangerousmrfox,you rascal you...

Occasionally I'll use different or more complicated rigs, but only if I feel the occasion calls for it.

Can you elaborate please on the things that would make you change your rig?

Ok I'll try, I tend not to think about why I make the changes I do, I just do it instinctively I guess.

If I'm getting bites but no takes, or poor hook holds, I'll change to a bolt rig with a long hooklink, because the extra resistance on the line helps set the hook, which helps when fish aren't feeding very confidently.

If I'm struggling to bait up at a distance then I'll shorten the distance between the running lead and the hook, than add a PVA stick, this helps get bait to difficult areas (under overhanging trees etc) and goes a long way to helping eliminate tangles.

If I'm fishing over weed or amongst lillypads, then I may use a braided hooklink for the added abrasion resistance, or use a buoyant bait and small blobs of putty rather than a ledger, which will allow the bait to sit on top of the weed rather than bed into it, this only really works short distance. If I want similar effects but at greater distance I tend to use a helicopter set up.

Method of bite indication makes a difference to the type of set-up I use, When using my quivertip I like to keep it simple and use my "Default" setup for lack of a better word, then tweak it depending on the strength of the tip I'm using, wind conditions etc, but I mainly only change to a slightly heavier lead or feeder.

When using bobbins I like to use a running rig with a fairly heavy lead, because regardless of the way the fish moves off, line will always be pulled so no drop backs, I allow my bobbin to sit on the ground with very slack lines and wait for the fish to lift the bobbin considerably before striking, I also set my bait runner so I can hear line being taken if I get a take when I'm not fully concentrating, but this is only really good to use mid water, as a fish can take line and be snagged up before I've even got to my rod if fishing tight to the margins.

That's kind of all I can think of off the top of my head. As you can tell I tend to use the same old methods with slight variations depending on a certain situation, I hope this has helped Keenook. :D