Leadcore

garysj01

Look man. The cars not hurt the peoples. Only bad drivers.

Piffle!

Try to take out the idiot factor from a fishery owners point of view, and sorry, there are so many bad drivers fishing lakes that leadcore is banned on many lakes because of them; fishing up tight to snags, or fishing in weed leading to tethered up fish that it's use needs to be monitored or even banned on many waters.

I can think of numerous fish that have died after being tethered and fish I have untethered, fish that have line scars on their flanks ( personally witnessed, and with additional information on this forum by Levigsp).

The media often show leadcore rigs, with inline or pendant set-ups on, and these in any form should NOT be used, as the leadcore will trail any rig, the media 'plug' these set-ups as safe. Even heli rigs can twist and kink and trap beads and rigs on leadcore, again personally witnessed and tested.

To try to reduce the possibilities of any snagged and tethered fish you must prevent the use of it. It is exactly the same as drunk drivers, even though it is illegal to be over the limit, people still do it, and these people should be taken off the road. By taking leadcore off the road, you vastly reduce the risks.

...To try to reduce the possibilities of any snagged and tethered fish you must prevent the use of it. It is exactly the same as drunk drivers, even though it is illegal to be over the limit, people still do it, and these people should be taken off the road. By taking leadcore off the road, you vastly reduce the risks.

But by that thinking, no-one would be allowed to drive as the leadcore is the road, not the driver!

• 4 months later...

As I was the originator of this thread I thought it only fair to put this here as well.

This is just for use for Helicopter/Rotary Rigs, incorporating leaders.

Firstly we come to the personal decision of whether its better to dump the lead, leaving the hooklink and leader tethered to the fish, or, using the weight of the lead to pull the leader free of the hooklink, just leaving the fish with the hook link to get rid of.

I favour the latter, to my thinking, surely the quicker a fish can get rid of the leader the better.

With this in mind I set about trying to create a safe a leader as possible, but this presented its own problems.

A lot of the kits available now don't work as effectively as you think. Shrink and Silicone Tube aren't fixed and can both be slid up the leader with the bead connected. Yes we are told to moisten the bead before its slid into place but don't forget the leadcore/leader also soaks up moisture making it more slippery.

One of the best kits out there is the Korda kit, because the bead is split, it has a much better chance of slipping off, freeing the hooklink, but the kit can still slip up the leader.

Which has lead me to trying to create something that doesn't slip at all, leaving the bead as the only movable point.

This is where I came up with this idea, tying a 4 turn barrel knot using the leadcore/leader itself. 

This can not move, which puts all of the pressure on to the bead.

After tying the knot I shrink a piece of heat shrink tube over the top to facilitate the bead coming off.

The lead inner has been stripped out of this bottom section of leadcore to the top of the knot.

This is the presentation in its entirety

All I can say, before you comment, try it, and try the lead theory I have mentioned, try getting rid of the leader without the lead, then try getting rid of the leader with the lead and you'll see how much better it is.

To my thinking, the fish being able to get rid of the entire leader has to be better than towing it around.

Another point to make, these beads have a taper, with the larger hole facing away from the lead. This helps the bead to slip over the knot connecting the mainline. I have also found, the heavier the lead the better, and instead of using a ring swivel which has been problematic I would suggest using a big eye swivel, with the larger eye pushed over the leader.

Plus I have adopted using barbless hooks with this particular presentation, on a just in case basis and my mainline is strong, 18lb to be exact.

The main reason for using Leadcore lately is because of its stiffness, Leadcore does not follow all of the contours of the lake bed as once believed, this is due to the Lead Inner, which is specifically why I am using leadcore.Other softer, lead free versions do follow the contours, and my pool is littered with very sharp debris. The leadcore predominantly lies on top of the debris without coming into contact with many of the razor sharp edges where a softer more supple leader would drape over these edges.

I would like to make it clear, that leadcore wasn't my first choice, but it is the better of two evils in my situation.It goes without saying that you should check the condition of your leader and mainline before each cast and make sure everything works just how it should.

Accidents happen, crack off's, loosing fish during the fight, but to my thinking, I have made this presentation as safe as possible, using the lead to pull the leader free.

As you see a lot of thought and testing has gone into this rig and I know it may spark off some debate, but I feel perfectly justified in my decision for using it.   

This is why I can't understand when people say dumping the lead on a chod / helicopter setups is safe .

If you get snapped for some reason the lead needs to be there to aid the fish to pass up the main line and free itself from it all .

The korda naked system is something i've started using and every time i've had a fish the top bead has gone during the fight . So in the event of a brake the lead sinks to the lake bed and the chod rig passes up & off the line .

can't see how you can get much better than that tbh.

I'm different to you though Gary as my chod is always set at least 3 ft up the line away from the lead to help it sink as slowly as possible and sit on top of the weed or what ever debris your fishing over .

A lot of people have poo, poo'd the idea of leaving the lead on, its simple physics, you need the weight of the lead to pull the leader off. If I told you what I was fishing over you'd understand the reasoning behind this train of thought. Ive never really fished pop ups a lot, but the rig works really well for me. :)

totally agree chillfactor/nmo1/rosstheangler. ive caught 2 carp that have been trailing rigs with no lead but a length of leadcore,both of these rigs had left swelling and infection were the partialy rusted hook was still attached. ive never seen rusty hooks in fishes mouths when the leads were still attached,only fresh hooks,which makes me think they need the lead as the pivot to eject the hook/rig. i noticed in another thread pictures of apparent death rigs,both rigs were successfully ejected so how is it a death rig. has anyone found tethered carp with the lead still attached?

The Leadcore acts as a weight in its own right, in fact any leader will act in the same way.

SS you bring up a good point with tethered fish, I can't remember seeing one with the lead attached. There will be some no doubt, but the majority of fish will just be trailing around leaders.

Another point to make, is I've gone right off plastic baits, and ive seen more and more fisheries adopting their banning.

Just one question to Phil, as you are thinking of building your own pool, as you probably have a slightly different prospective of fish care than the rest of us.

Knowing what you know about the carp fishing fraternity and its many wonderful inventions, what would you ban on your water?

totally agree chillfactor/nmo1/rosstheangler. ive caught 2 carp that have been trailing rigs with no lead but a length of leadcore,both of these rigs had left swelling and infection were the partialy rusted hook was still attached. ive never seen rusty hooks in fishes mouths when the leads were still attached,only fresh hooks,which makes me think they need the lead as the pivot to eject the hook/rig. i noticed in another thread pictures of apparent death rigs,both rigs were successfully ejected so how is it a death rig. has anyone found tethered carp with the lead still attached?

The Leadcore acts as a weight in its own right, in fact any leader will act in the same way.

SS you bring up a good point with tethered fish, I can't remember seeing one with the lead attached. There will be some no doubt, but the majority of fish will just be trailing around leaders.

Another point to make, is I've gone right off plastic baits, and ive seen more and more fisheries adopting their banning.

Just one question to Phil, as you are thinking of building your own pool, as you probably have a slightly different prospective of fish care than the rest of us.

Knowing what you know about the carp fishing fraternity and its many wonderful inventions, what would you ban on your water?

Things I have been saying for a fair while myself.

The leader is a weight in its own right, with the lead on, (helicopter) the rig can be ejected, without it, the Leadcore just 'folds' and trails.

Rescued pendant Leadcore leaders I have found and recovered always seem to have lead still attached, the lead clip has not ejected the lead at all.

I have also recovered a fair number of plastic baits overcast into trees, and also had the misfortune to find one where a bird had gotten hooked and died attached to plastic corn.

Things I have been saying for a fair while myself.

The leader is a weight in its own right, with the lead on, (helicopter) the rig can be ejected, without it, the Leadcore just 'folds' and trails.

Rescued pendant Leadcore leaders I have found and recovered always seem to have lead still attached, the lead clip has not ejected the lead at all.

I have also recovered a fair number of plastic baits overcast into trees, and also had the misfortune to find one where a bird had gotten hooked and died attached to plastic corn.

this is why i think its safer to have the tail rubber on tight and lead clip pegged rather than ejecting the lead or having it sliding down the line