Loads of runs but no fish on the end

gav30

Hi all,

I used paste for the first time on Saturday. Caught 6 decent carp, 3 doubles.

now i had around 20 takes in all throughout the day, proper screamers but when i tightened up there was an initial resistance like a fish on and then the line went slack.

I had an 18mm cell boilie wrapped in paste so am i to assume that it was just picked up and dragged with the hook not going into the mouth or am i just plain unlucky?

nothing worse than the alarm screaming and not hooking anything :(

any hints tips would be appreciated :)

cheers

I only ask because i was getting the same problem a while back, but i was using long shank hooks with the hair just coming off the bend of the hook using some tubing. My thinking was maybe the fish are just getting hold of the bait and not the actual hook. So i changed over to a curved shank hook and have the hair coming off closer to the eye of the hook. This seems to have solved the problem for now.

I only ask because i was getting the same problem a while back, but i was using long shank hooks with the hair just coming off the bend of the hook using some tubing. My thinking was maybe the fish are just getting hold of the bait and not the actual hook. So i changed over to a curved shank hook and have the hair coming off closer to the eye of the hook. This seems to have solved the problem for now.

yeah i agree, i think they are just grabbing the bait and maybe that is why i caught a few doubles as their mouths were maybe bigger to get the whole lot in???

i may try using some 15mm baits and paste as that would take it back upto the same sort of size then. never had a problem with 18mm and my Nash hooks so maybe that is the answer.

You could also try using a hook the next size up, just make one change at a time, it is very often the case that little changes like this can make all the difference. Your obviously getting runs you just need to tweak a little.

Hope this helps

Gary

You could also try using a hook the next size up, just make one change at a time, it is very often the case that little changes like this can make all the difference. Your obviously getting runs you just need to tweak a little.

Hope this helps

Gary

Try a size 6?

Maybe try a longer hair and check you hook is sharp?

I always check the hook point, paranoid about it now after Danny Fairbrass....

only ever had two bluntish hooks using Nash since last year and i still refuse to believe that these wouldn't go into a carps lip in any case.

as for the hair, i'll give it a try. the carp clearly love the paste so not going to give up just yet :)

Also how about popping a little bit of cork into the boilie before wrapping it in paste to give it a more neutral buoyancy

i already top off with popup corn (diff colours and flavours) not sure how much that really helps but must be a tad more buoyant than just a standard bottom bait

Know it might sound silly but are you sure they are not liners? that can sometimes feel like a fish on for a second or two!

i was thinking it myself, maybe there were 1 or 2 but some of these were stripping line off my reel (which always makes me smile :) )

i dont thnk there is a cure for that problem as long as yu use the same hooks thats work and sizes and the bait etc.

why it happens ! is something i have asked a number of anglers at my club lakes .

And the main answer is that the carp tend to feed at certain times a day unless their normal day has been compromised. this would be something like weather changes . too much noise caused by anglers. even variables like temps and the time of year ,this time of year its mateing season ,which again varies on the weather and temps.or they just want to play with the food and not really interested in eating at all !

I do remember one year they spawned twice because of bad weather at the wrong time of year.

And we come back to why anglers can get a lot of runs with no results..

Think the worse day i have had when i had around 50 plus runs and only a handfull of fish at the end.. answer The wrong bait was used

Sounds very much like a fish trailing line to me

Beat me to it!

Ian

how do you mean?

Break offs from other anglers catching on to your rig as the fish swims by.

ah right, yeah i guess thats a possibility, does make u wonder what gets dragged around

sounds like a runs water your on?? single figure fish mostly??? ....

i would drop my boilie size to 15mm and use a size 10.

an 18mm bait tipped with a corn is quite a big bait... unless your specificly doing this to try and target the bigger fish?

id deffo drop the size of my hook and bait.

if it is a runs water, no dought it gets noddys on, who in turn end up snapping on fish. this in turn leaves fish trailing a rig and aload of line. this why u may be getting so many false runs.

Sounds very much like a fish trailing line to me

Beat me to it!

Ian

how do you mean?

Break offs from other anglers catching on to your rig as the fish swims by.

ah right, yeah i guess thats a possibility, does make u wonder what gets dragged around

At one of the Sandhurst socials I was fishing the next swim to Ian (Iberiancarpa) when he hooked into a good carp which was trailing what appeared to be the entire contents of someone's reel spool.

Ian