Motorbike's and fishing, how well do they mix??

fantasticmrfox

Hello all!!

I've been sorting through all my gear over the last few day's and realised i have a lot of gear, yet very little in the way of storage/luggage, so it's time to invest in some item's that will allow me to store my gear neatly..

However it'll need to double up as a way of transporting my gear (not all of it, just enough for a day session or the odd overnighter).

The downside, and the thing I'm finding most difficult to work around, is my mode of transport. As you may have guessed all ready, i only own a motorbike and don't have access to a car.

Does anyone else use their motorbike to travel to and from venue's?

If so how do you manage it and what do you take?

Has anyone seen, use or heard of a rod holdall that will carry up to 4 2 part rod's that closes completely i could sling over my shoulder?

I'm looking for something that will keep my rod's secure whilst on the road that is easy to transport yet will enable me to also carry a rucksack with bait, reel's, tackle etc..

If not then i believe i've found a niche in the market and will have to design something that will work, that i could then manufacture or send to a major tackle company.

Thank's for reading and hopefully responding.

Mr Fox.

On a moped my mate does this bedchair is behind my legs lent up against the seat, rucksack on and a trakker NXG rod bag that keeps 3 rods and a Brolly inside.

what??? you get 2 on and the gear??

i know your small dan,but you must of grown a bit since i see you last :lol::lol:

Depends how how big your spoon is?

??? at the risk of sounding dim, i don't understand, could you elaborate on that?

Wow, that's a lot of stuff on a moped Carpking, do you use the under seat bucket at all?

My bike is a 125, but isn't a moped, so i can't put anything under my leg's or under the seat, i have to either carry it or use panniers.

just searched that rod bag, looks like the kind of thing im after, however it would be better if it was rigid/solid if you know what i mean, just in case i drop it at 70mph!

I was thinking of mounting the tubes my rod's come in down either side on the bike, but i'm not sure i'll be able to use the gear's without it getting in the way!

I wont let it beat me! lol!

Can you get a small trailer? I've seen a guy round here with one

All his gear in there including rods. You don't really wanna be driving round on your motorbike with say something 8ft or so poking out diagonally across your back, it's not practical and with the weather changing and nights drawing in quite dangerous. But if you were too I'd advise put some strips of that hi-vis reflective tape on it so other road users can see it easily

Can you get a small trailer? I've seen a guy round here with one

All his gear in there including rods. You don't really wanna be driving round on your motorbike with say something 8ft or so poking out diagonally across your back, it's not practical and with the weather changing and nights drawing in quite dangerous. But if you were too I'd advise put some strips of that hi-vis reflective tape on it so other road users can see it easily

As i am currently riding on 'L' plate's I'm forbidden from using trailers or sidecar's, which is a shame as that would pretty much be my problem sorted..

i was intending on having the rod holdall parallel with the bike, with the strap over my shoulder and head and tucked under my arm with the heavy end (reel end) resting on the pillion seat and the front of the holdall over the screen at the front.

However i dont know how well this will work, so the Hi-Vis is definitely needed.

as for the quad bike and trailer idea, as mentioned i can't use a trailer, and quad's are more expensive to insure, for some reason as i'd have thought them safer therefore cheaper..

bit of a bigger really, i can't afford to run a car, or do my full bike licence yet, and i don't want to have to rely on other people to get to these fisheries.

On a moped my mate does this bedchair is behind my legs lent up against the seat, rucksack on and a trakker NXG rod bag that keeps 3 rods and a Brolly inside.

what??? you get 2 on and the gear??

i know your small dan,but you must of grown a bit since i see you last :lol::lol:

I have grown a bit :D Lol I meant under his legs, :D is funny to watch tho as his sense of balance isn't great :wink:

And what about 2 6ft lengths of guttering going down the side of the bike that you can slide 1 rod in and cap it off? Held on by clips of some sort?

I have grown a bit :D Lol I meant under his legs, :D is funny to watch tho as his sense of balance isn't great :wink:

And what about 2 6ft lengths of guttering going down the side of the bike that you can slide 1 rod in and cap it off? Held on by clips of some sort?

I was thinking of mounting the tubes my rod's come in down either side on the bike, but i'm not sure i'll be able to use the gear's without it getting in the way!
lol! i had thought that, it may be an option worth investigating once i've finished respraying my bike. I'm just worried i won't be able to use the gear's and/or the back brake... mind you, who needs brakes anyway? :P

is funny to watch tho as his sense of balance isn't great :wink:

Personally i find mopeds harder to ride due to the riding position, it's a bit harder to balance on one than on a bike IMO as you sit around a bike but on top of a moped if you get what i mean, i dislike the knee's together sat upright position, you can lock your leg's around a bike and really chuck it about and even get your knee down, i'd never attempt that on a ped!...

But that's a discussion for a different forum entirely :wink:

There was a bloke who lived round the corner from me years ago and he used to take a motorbike fishing. Suprisingly he used to ride with a small rod bag and a seat box on his back, looked funny and im suprised he didnt fall off! Bet the old bill wouldnt be happy if they saw that sort of things these days!

Mr Fox, don't do it. You'll very soon become a statistic. The dead sort.

Get your test passed, buy a more powerful bike and, as has been said, buy or construct a small trailer. Or go by bus.

Motorcycles and fishing tackle shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

Ian

Mr Fox, don't do it. You'll very soon become a statistic. The dead sort.

Get your test passed, buy a more powerful bike and, as has been said, buy or construct a small trailer. Or go by bus.

Motorcycles and fishing tackle shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

Ian

Very nearly have all ready last year, not long after i got the bike, and it scared the hell out of me!!

Believe me, if i didn't think i could do it and stay safe and more importantly alive, i wouldn't! i don't want to end up in hospital on the operating table again! NOT a pleasant experience!

The bus service around here is laughable, more so than someone going fishing on a motorbike lol!

Thank's for your concern Ian, i appreciate it, I won't attempt it if i don't feel i can remain safe, I think having the rod's attached to the bike rather than me would be a great deal safer!