Chod Chod Chodyy Chod Chods: Rant and rigs

zander1

• 1 year later...

As mentioned before, I like to use the figure of 8 knot at the swivel. This can be quite fiddly when tying such a short rig in a stiff material.

An old member on here has done a video for fosters on a knot for the hook that you can tie after the swivel is tied on. This along with the perfection loop, if using a higher breaking strain filament, makes tying a short chod rig so much easier.

The link to the video

I haven't tested it in practice yet but seems to hold as well as the knotless knot under tension.

thats the way i have been doing it for the last couple of years 8)

Well thanks for keeping it quiet and not sharing doug :roll::lol:

good video nige :wink:

although recently i have been using the "thinking Anglers" double ring swivels

(two large rings) i now no longer need to tie a fiddly loop :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

I hate chod rigs and hate pop ups. They just don't work for me and never did. All my pop ups get cut up to use as tippers to semi balance baits sometimes, but even they don't catch me nearly as many as bottom baits. Maybe that is just the way it is with the lake I target, I don't know, but I know my mind, and I don't like chod rigs full stop. 

I hate chod rigs and hate pop ups. They just don't work for me and never did. All my pop ups get cut up to use as tippers to semi balance baits sometimes, but even they don't catch me nearly as many as bottom baits. Maybe that is just the way it is with the lake I target, I don't know, but I know my mind, and I don't like chod rigs full stop.

Anything you don't have confidence in, never catches, I don't know why. But not everything works for everyone.

I think the golden day of the chod has passed, its a big clubsy rig, and I think most fish can easily deal with it now.

• 4 weeks later...

Ahh the chod rig, It was myself who started the pinned post i think last year asking about a leadcore free alternative. Since then the chod rig or naked chod is now my number one choice of rigs to use if im unfamiliar with lakes or even if i need a rig which i have huge confidence in. Last year i had never used the choddy at all, but nearly all of my catches nowadays come from a choddy or a solid bag rig. Excellent rig in my eyes and this is from someone who had always avoided it until i got the nake set up working the way i wanted it. I still donts use leadcore either.

• 3 months later...

HELLOOOO everyone im new to chods i love rigs. And tying and although not my PREFERED rig i am determined to try it out even though it seems abit of a cop out however having said that im having problems i think ive nailed it as being too much trav el on the lower bead but i keep bouncing out of runs ???? to

Fishbits not sure why you'd call it a cop out? It's an effective rig. The very first post in this thread should give you an idea that it's not a cop out.

I'm only just beginning to use them, used one for the first time the other week to cast at showing fish. It might not have been the best rig but I could be confident it presented ok in amongst the weed.

I'm pretty sure a few have mentioned this before and advice has been to use as light a lead as you can get away with. I'm sure I've also heard of people tying a weak link to attach the lead with the bottom bead being stopped by the swivel and bead. So you have some distance between lead and hook link.

Oooowha dont get the hump its a rig essential in some situations but you have to agree to use it every time we go out it takes away the need to think about our rig presentation and taking out the need to think is taking the essence of carp fishing our area of sport is heavily based around the rig we use and this is and should be evolving all the time

Fishbits I certainly wasn't being in a hump about it. If it came across that way then I apologise.

Like you say a lot of people will use it without thinking. From your posts I certainly wouldn't think that of you. So wondered why you would call it a cop out if you're thinking about when and where to use it?

The first post the guy admitted bhe hadn't used it because of the associations it had with people using it for every situation and admitting it had been an error. So again with this is mind if it works when used correctly why is it a cop out rig?

I'd read about your problem on another thread and tried to point you to that thread to have a read thinking it would help with your present problem of losing fish being bumped by the lead.

Fishy , Androooooo is quite correct matey , that thread will be a great help to you .

Keeping the bottom bead/sinker at least 12" from the lead will put an end to your problem .

If your still losing fish then it'll be something fundamentally wrong with the rig .

I'm sure thats not the case but i find the choddie extremely difficult to tie correctly , arthritis in my fingers not helping..

In fact its the only rig that i still buy pre-tied wheras when i first started carping i only used pre-tied rigs.

Gardner closely followed by ESP , the reel deel :)

I'm still having the same problem it's getting frustrating now I landed 3 fish no issue but still bounced out of 4 including one absolute screamer is it as daft as my cluch needs to be tighter to take out the initial bounce of the take I have the Hookbait about 3 inches from the lead

HELLOOOO everyone im new to chods i love rigs. And tying and although not my PREFERED rig i am determined to try it out even though it seems abit of a cop out however having said that im having problems i think ive nailed it as being too much trav el on the lower bead but i keep bouncing out of runs ???? to

Fishbits I certainly wasn't being in a hump about it. If it came across that way then I apologise.

Like you say a lot of people will use it without thinking. From your posts I certainly wouldn't think that of you. So wondered why you would call it a cop out if you're thinking about when and where to use it?

The first post the guy admitted bhe hadn't used it because of the associations it had with people using it for every situation and admitting it had been an error. So again with this is mind if it works when used correctly why is it a cop out rig?

I'd read about your problem on another thread and tried to point you to that thread to have a read thinking it would help with your present problem of losing fish being bumped by the lead.

I'm still having the same problem it's getting frustrating now I landed 3 fish no issue but still bounced out of 4 including one absolute screamer is it as daft as my cluch needs to be tighter to take out the initial bounce of the take I have the Hookbait about 3 inches from the lead

I used helicopters, silt rigs etc years ago, and some bumped fish was a normality with them. Whether  it is is the bounce from the rod and playing action, or even sometimes from a hooked fish being hooked closer to the edge of the lips and causing hookpulls I am not sure. I'm sure that I am not the only person who noticed this as it was put into print my Tim Paisley.

In weed this hookpull situation can be worse, the fish bounces the lead over lily stem, root, or the lead pulls back to the fish as it catches on whatever weed stem and the hook is bounced out. 

I also used this with the original leadcore flyline, as in fly fishing reel line, the vinyl coated, not the current braided stuff, and with that (not as nasty as the current stuff either, although I wouldn't use it now), and also as a naked, or with a leader it still happened.

I think that the current, awfully named Chod rig still creates the same problem and too many anglers use it without considering the approach. Yes it can be a good set-up, but in the right situation, and on some waters, it simply doesn't work, or isn't the right set-up full stop, but gets used as first choice, because it is so easy.

On top of that, I don't think that bite indication is so pronounced. A fish can move a long way either with slack or tight line with no indication at the rod end, although I do think that the 'quiver' approach, with the rod tip bent into a curve will actually work best as opposed to a slack line, but then again, is the hook properly in the lip then anyway, so back to possible hookpulls.

Just my thoughts, and I do desperately try to avoid the set-up unless the silt is such that it is the only way to present a bait

I used helicopters, silt rigs etc years ago, and some bumped fish was a normality with them. Whether it is is the bounce from the rod and playing action, or even sometimes from a hooked fish being hooked closer to the edge of the lips and causing hookpulls I am not sure. I'm sure that I am not the only person who noticed this as it was put into print my Tim Paisley.

In weed this hookpull situation can be worse, the fish bounces the lead over lily stem, root, or the lead pulls back to the fish as it catches on whatever weed stem and the hook is bounced out.

I also used this with the original leadcore flyline, as in fly fishing reel line, the vinyl coated, not the current braided stuff, and with that (not as nasty as the current stuff either, although I wouldn't use it now), and also as a naked, or with a leader it still happened.

I think that the current, awfully named Chod rig still creates the same problem and too many anglers use it without considering the approach. Yes it can be a good set-up, but in the right situation, and on some waters, it simply doesn't work, or isn't the right set-up full stop, but gets used as first choice, because it is so easy.

On top of that, I don't think that bite indication is so pronounced. A fish can move a long way either with slack or tight line with no indication at the rod end, although I do think that the 'quiver' approach, with the rod tip bent into a curve will actually work best as opposed to a slack line, but then again, is the hook properly in the lip then anyway, so back to possible hookpulls.

Just my thoughts, and I do desperately try to avoid the set-up unless the silt is such that it is the only way to present a bait

Nick i agree that some anglers do reach for a choddy ( sorry :wink:) because it is the easy option and not always the correct "tool" for the job , myself included at times .

Your post above Nick , is that why you are dead against its use in weed ?

I have been reading some old threads , many going back a lot of years , and you have been saying the same throughout all that time which is to your credit because you are consistent and people often are not :wink:.

But you are the only person i've ever "met" who is of that opinion .

In actual fact , one of the Chase lakes has weed from surface to lakebed all over and everybody i has asked , recommends a "long choddy" whatever that means ?

I think if you was to poll this forum about the use of silt rigs in weed the result , rightly or wrongly , would be a resounding YES .

On the back chase lake that i fish the lakebed HAS gravel but is largely shallow silt covered in what they call Filamous Algae and the rig works very well . Would you say that was using it in weed ?

I would never infer that you might be wrong mate , too much respect for your knowledge and experience for that , but why do you think nobody else has picked up on it ?

Fishy , Androooooo is quite correct matey , that thread will be a great help to you .

Keeping the bottom bead/sinker at least 12" from the lead will put an end to your problem .

:)

Yes interesting thread thanks for the link i love this forum im off tomorrow for a few hours I've re tied my rod up so we shall see i tell you all one thing for a cop out rig there is an awful lot of work in getting it right

Fishy ? THREE inches from the lead ?

Having re-read this thread i rest my case ...

Nick i agree that some anglers do reach for a choddy ( sorry :wink:) because it is the easy option and not always the correct "tool" for the job , myself included at times .

Your post above Nick , is that why you are dead against its use in weed ?

I have been reading some old threads , many going back a lot of years , and you have been saying the same throughout all that time which is to your credit because you are consistent and people often are not :wink:.

But you are the only person i've ever "met" who is of that opinion .

In actual fact , one of the Chase lakes has weed from surface to lakebed all over and everybody i has asked , recommends a "long choddy" whatever that means ?

I think if you was to poll this forum about the use of silt rigs in weed the result , rightly or wrongly , would be a resounding YES .

On the back chase lake that i fish the lakebed HAS gravel but is largely shallow silt covered in what they call Filamous Algae and the rig works very well . Would you say that was using it in weed ?

I would never infer that you might be wrong mate , too much respect for your knowledge and experience for that , but why do you think nobody else has picked up on it ?

At Taverham Mills, a weedy lake I was playing around with the various versions of helicopter set-ups, and started losing fish, so I switched back to inlines with a braided hooklink, putting the whole lot in a pva bag, and stopped losing so many. I would lose an occasional one, but not so many. In weedless swims, the helicopter was not such a problem, but still  fish would bounce off.

At Barham B Pit, again, I tried the helicopter set-ups, with the leadcore and without, and again, especially in weedy swims, plenty of lost fish. Strangely enough, switch to a paternoster with a long (weak link) tail, and no problems, probably because I had lost the lead, or the inline, and was only playing the fish, not a ball of lead around the line.

As for the Chase, (I've seen it :wink: ), the Back Lake, I don't think that the filamentous algae is a weed as such, and so doesn't have the same sort of effect bouncing as a weed like canadian, or lilies.

Going back to the paternoster comment above, a method I do like using in weed, with a weak link, the bait can be pretty well presented or as best as possible, but saying that, I wouldn't fish mega thick weed where a bait wouldn't be presented or where no matter what, you would be trying to haul a fish through the stuff anyway. A fish has to be able to be landed safely,  not in such a manner that the fish 'snags', or you lose them by trying to haul them through the thick Sh'tuff.

Strangely enough, I've gone back to fishing a very weedy lake, and trying to fish clearer swims as in many, you would be trying to haul the carp through it, and that is just not fishing. As a result, I've gone back to fishing inlines, braided hooklinks, but I'm still looking for clearer spots to put the whole lot on, mounted in a PVA bag of bits

I used helicopters, silt rigs etc years ago, and some bumped fish was a normality with them. Whether  it is is the bounce from the rod and playing action, or even sometimes from a hooked fish being hooked closer to the edge of the lips and causing hookpulls I am not sure. I'm sure that I am not the only person who noticed this as it was put into print my Tim Paisley.

I think that the current, awfully named Chod rig still creates the same problem and too many anglers use it without considering the approach. Yes it can be a good set-up, but in the right situation, and on some waters, it simply doesn't work, or isn't the right set-up full stop, but gets used as first choice, because it is so easy.

I use helicopter rigs for 90% of my fishing and I don't have too many issues with hook pulls. Of course I suffer the occasional lost fish, but I wouldn't consider this a higher percentage than if I had used an inline lead or lead clip.

In my opinion there are two things that can be done that increase your chances of having a hooked carp stay on when using helicopter rigs. Firstly, I always use a barbed hook, obviously rules don't always allow this, but with the nature of a helicopter rig and how the hooklink can slide up and down the line or leader it is very easy for a hooked carp to find some slack and a barbless hook can just slide out. Also, I don't use a long piece of silicon to cover the top of the lead, If the piece is too long the lead has far more of chance of hitting the lake bed or getting snarled in weed and cause the hook to pull out. All I do is trim down a tail rubber for lead clips and squeeze it over the top of the lead. This gives something for the bottom bead to buff up against and leaves the lead to behave in a similar way to an inline or lead clip would. 

With regards to chod rigs, I believe we will just have to tolerate aborted takes and the occasional hook pull. The rig is a long way from the lead and there is no real weight to drive the hook home until the fish has picked up all the slack line and brought the lead into play. I believe there are a few things you can do to reduce the aborted takes and light hook holds though. I know not everyone has the time or patience (neither do I a lot of the time) but you could try sharpening your hook points. A very sharp hook point won't need as much force to drive the hook home and will reduce the need for the lead to come into play. Secondly, I fish the chod rig with a short boom section of semi stiff flurocarbon or coated braid, almost like a hinged stiff rig. The boom section is only 3 or 4 inches long but it gives the rig some slack line to play with during the battle, rather than a lead bouncing around just 3 inches from the carp's mouth on a hooklink that has no give. The boom section also allows you to keep the putty off the chod section, by applying the putty to the boom section just below the swivel the chod hooklink becomes very light and able to spin into the carp's mouth and catch hold far easier. 

I hope some of this is food for thought. I've experimented for years with helicopter rigs and chod rigs and these are the solutions that have reduced lost fish and increased the number of bites for me.