Maya - frenchcarplake

just got back from maya french carp lake. the web site says it has over 100 fish stocked over 20lb i think this is more like 50 after all it is only 2 acre so they would have nowhere to hide and between 12 rods and 4 very accomplished anglers who have fished in france for over 15 years all with p.b. s over 50lb we only managed around 30 fish in a week.

Next - water , the water we was told, was metallic due to high iron content, UNDERSTATEMENT - the water was orange and smelly like a stagnant metalic smell you could hardly stand the smell in the shower room never mind have a shower in there!!!

The kitchen area was clean and tidy but you needed to wash all plates, cups and utensils in drinking water otherwise they smelled of iron, not very appetising when eating your food!!!

log cabin bedrooms are tidy and clean this is a positive but you pay extra for this.

T.V. room is a must for the kids and had a dvd player but no freeview as it says on the web site. This is aslo an extra to be paid for.

Overall i would not recommend this venue to anyone and will not be returning!!!

:(:(:(:(:(

Read your comments with interest as we all like to keep a eye on the other lakes, but I did think that if they said they had 100 fish and your group got 30 thats 30% of the stock in a week I think you done well. I know with my lake again small at only 3 acres but deep no group has landed 30% of the stock.

in all honesty mate, a 2acre lake with 12 rods :shock: no wonder the fish shut up shop and went off the feed (which imho is what happened) as said if you had 30 fish out of a stock of 100 that is good going considering the pressure they was under with 12 rods in the water. if me and 3 mates went we would have had 2 rods each in such a small water and i guarantee would have had more fish because there would have been a lot less pressure

the owner told us to use that amount of rods, the lake was only 4ft deep all over and we saw about 4 fish jump in a week. walked around the margins and saw a couple of fish. some of the fish we caught twice. you needed to be there to appreciate what i saw.

on the web site it says "Over 120 Carp to late 40's with a good percentage of 30's. Nothing ever stocked below 20lb"

then it says "Never fished before other than for Pike, the owner of 40yrs only used a spinner!"

if you went fishing on a lake what was sold like this would you expect to catch more or less than 30 fish in a week. all anglers fished slack lines so not to spook the fish. what more can i say.

I dont want to criticise the lake owner but allowing 4 anglers to fish 3 rods on 2 acres, especially considering its depth, is absolute madness.

You didnt mention the sizes of the fish you caught... did you catch anything less than 20lbs as the stock seems to be one of the contentious issues here.

well surely if as you said the 4 anglers are very accomplished then why listen to what the owner said in way of how many rods to use? surely he aint got a rule that says 3 rods must be used? i dont know the water so cant comment on fish stocks mate but honestly this is carp fishing, sometimes you can turn up at a lake and have a shed load, then you could go to the same lake/swim and fish exactly the same way a week later and blank

the fishing wasn't the only thing , like i said above the water supply was unacceptable and if we had been told truthfully about it we would not have booked the venue.

gazmeesh the owner said the lake hadn't been fished for 40 years!! how would you expect it to fish?

the conditions - perfect - overcast 22*C and a ripple on the water!!

yet very slow fishing! out of the fish caught i had 13, another had 9 another had 5 and 1 had 3.i would expect this from a venue in the uk!

i understand what you are saying about lines in the water, but i have been to many venues like this before and when there have been so many fish in the lake it dont matter how many lines are in the water you will catch fish as they are competitive for the food!

I think you may change your mind if you paid to go and was met with what we got.

all in all my opinion is that this venue is not as advetised.this is why i think that there are very few if any reviews on the place over the last 2 years on any forum, one reason for my review.

I would like to hear from anyone else who has been to see what their opinion is?

the fishing wasn't the only thing , like i said above the water supply was unacceptable and if we had been told truthfully about it we would not have booked the venue.

gazmeesh the owner said the lake hadn't been fished for 40 years!! how would you expect it to fish?

the conditions - perfect - overcast 22*C and a ripple on the water!!

yet very slow fishing! out of the fish caught i had 13, another had 9 another had 5 and 1 had 3.i would expect this from a venue in the uk!

i understand what you are saying about lines in the water, but i have been to many venues like this before and when there have been so many fish in the lake it dont matter how many lines are in the water you will catch fish as they are competitive for the food!

I think you may change your mind if you paid to go and was met with what we got.

all in all my opinion is that this venue is not as advetised.this is why i think that there are very few if any reviews on the place over the last 2 years on any forum, one reason for my review.

I would like to hear from anyone else who has been to see what their opinion is?

very hard tbh, if it aint been fished for 40 years then the minute 12 rods go in 2 acres then the fish will hit the bottom and go right off the feed, so imho 30 fish is a right result mate

If the owner says it hasn't been fished for 40 years then you had not done your homework as there are catch reports from last year on the website along with stocking from 2008 and 2009. This is a commercial water and not some rare find. D minus must try harder next time. You would be very very lucky to find any water that has not been fished for that amount of time, what with gypsy's and locals there are probably no such waters. Don't forget that if people have grown up in the area they all know these waters, even if they do look like no one knows they are there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 years later...

!!!READ THIS COMMENT IN FULL!!! Arrived at this lake Saturday after booking and paying deposit in August 2022. No contact from owner (Nik) from January 2023 and no access to lake on the day. Fortunately was able to obtain a new venue on the day of arrival. Will pursue for refund on return to the UK. !!!AVOID/DO NOT BOOK!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

That is a fair result. We have fished here for 12 years now.

Fresh water has always been a problem , we started taking a camping shower to use in the shower. Last year I had to deal with a total blockage of the septic tank ( not nice )  we had the sucker lorru out..and Nik has been a nightmare to contact since day one. I now contact Daniel directly.

Going right back to 2010 Nik has been a nightmare for contact.....