Critically balanced and pop ups

ste1984

yes i think you do, i think cork is often what is used for critically balanced baits bit obviously if you overdo it and dont want it standing up too proud you may still need to balance it out with weight. to be honest its only something i've played around with, could really do with someone else's explanation :oops:

A critically balanced bait is a bait with bouyancy added to it to counteract the weight of the hook. This makes the weight of the bait 'neutral' so it behaves in the same way as a loose fed bottom bait. It will still sit on the lake bed, but will move around freely as though it isn't attached to a hook.

When carp are feeding on the bottom there movements and feeding actions can cause baits to move so the idea is that if you have a balanced boilie surrounded by loose boilies they will move in the same way as each other and not make the carp suspicious.

A critically balanced bait is normally achieved by inserting cork into a bottom bait, or with a snowman rig: a pop up on top of a bottom bait. These should always be tested in the margins to make sure the desired effect is achieved.

In contrast, a pop up is simply a floating bait which will lift the hook and hook length line off the bottom. Putty or shot can be used to set the height which the bait rises to.

I hope I've explained that clearly enough, but let me know if it reads like complete codswallop!

Yes and yes!

The corn would add bouyancy to the rig, in contrast to the hook adding weight to the rig. Basically you are trying to use something bouyant to neutralise the weight of the hook, so it just leaves you with the weight of the boilie.

There's probably some mathematical equation for it, but I was always rubbish at maths!

Don't forget that you can counterbalance a pop-up so that it becomes critically balanced :wink:

Or even overweight it.

A pop-up is usually a bait presented above the lakebed, but a pop-up bait can be used on a rig on the lakebed or even in the silt.

Even a zig rig is a pop-up or buoyant bait of some sort presented well above the lakebed.

Bet that makes it as clear as mud :shock::twisted::lol:

Sorry to start on this again guys.

can anyone point me in the direction of what a balanced snowman should look like??

I have mine at the min so the shank of the kook if floating with baits above it, and the hook is sitting on its point near enough ???

Cheers guys

Sorry to start on this again guys.

can anyone point me in the direction of what a balanced snowman should look like??

I have mine at the min so the shank of the kook if floating with baits above it, and the hook is sitting on its point near enough ???

Cheers guys

I simply have mine with the hook laying on its side with the snowman baits sitting alongside it, the pop-up counterbalances the bottom bait (15mm p-u against 18mm bb)

Yeah I spent most of last night trying a 15mmbb and 15mm pop. Just trimming away etc, the bait still looks a bit gig for my liking, so might try a cork insert.

Who will be the best person/people to have a look at my rig pictures to make sure they are ok so otheres can learn from ???

As I coulnt find a picture of what I was trying to do