Which braided hooklink??

cnjnh

Guest Anonymous

all of the ones you have mentioned are of good quality and reliable :D Recently i have been using the Nash missing link as a hooklength. It's pricey but is really good, it strong coated and yet once stripped back is very supple. most of all it reliable mate give it a go, i doubt you will be dissapointed !!! 8)

All the best :D

Ive got my eye on some Kryston, either Melin or Silkworm.

Are they worth the buy?? Or is there another that is better??

Thanks

I've used Kryston hooklink materials for years, starting with Silkworm, but after playing around found that I was more comfortable with Merlin, as I felt it to be less buoyant.

Since then I've used Merlin, SuperNova, and Silkworm, and have found no need to change as they work for me, and I have faith in what works without changing.

Thanks

I've used Kryston hooklink materials for years, starting with Silkworm, but after playing around found that I was more comfortable with Merlin, as I felt it to be less buoyant.

Since then I've used Merlin, SuperNova, and Silkworm, and have found no need to change as they work for me, and I have faith in what works without changing.

Do you currently have more than one then, ready to go??

If so, why is this?

I think the choice between the two is negligible.Merlin will look more natural where there is weed. Supernova on clear bottom.

Just remember to put some putty on them as kryston continues to supply braid that floats and loops up....even after both products have been around for nearly 20 years.

Ps. If you've never used a braid hook length before... Get ready for it tangling. You can stop this by:

Adding a pva bag or stringer to your hook

Putting your whole rig in a pva bag

Feathering your cast down

Thanks

Do you currently have more than one then, ready to go??

If so, why is this?

Oh and not forgetting I like SuperSilk as well which although white when brand new takes on the colour of the lakebed.

Current Kryston hooklinks in the tackle box are the SuperNova and the Merlin.

Simply a case of using what I think is required at the time, maybe for matching to the colour of the lakebed, or maybe because I feel like trying something different if I haven't been catching. There is that little bit of room for experimentation in my fishing, and if a rig is sat there for 24hours or so and I haven't caught I will check and/or change it.

http://www.kryston.com/index.php

Although Cobleyn says that the braids will float and loop up, to be honest that is actually a feature of many other hooklinks, (even monos) as they often sit in a loop from lead to hook unless weighted down, so the rubbing putty or even dirt or mud from the bankside is worthwhile if you are worried about it.

A big advantage with braids is that they are supple, allowing plenty of movement both laterally and longitudinally. To make it simple, they can move from side to side as well as extend out, which to me is something I want. If you use a hooklink of any material that is fully extended then the hook can't move away from the lead if a fish sucks or picks up in its lips. Some fish may suck a bait, but if it doesn't move towards it, then becomes what may be termed a source of danger and the hookbait is left. If a fish attempts to pick up the bait, and it is fully extended, then it may simply pull the hookbait out of the mouth without any proper take.

The other feature to stop tangling is another Kryston product called Superstiff, a pva style gel that you coat your hooklink with which under water dissolves and allows it to return to its supple state.

I've used Kryston's products for years. My favourite is snakebite, a plastic coated braid (tennis racket strings!!). A close second is Merlin - a lovely supple braid with an open weave. It needs rubbing with a little bit of drop 'em putty to ensure it sinks when new...

I've used Kryston's products for years. My favourite is snakebite, a plastic coated braid (tennis racket strings!!). A close second is Merlin - a lovely supple braid with an open weave. It needs rubbing with a little bit of drop 'em putty to ensure it sinks when new...

I've never understood why they put White braid in the centre of snakebite.

Guest keenook

"A big advantage with braids is that they are supple, allowing plenty of movement both laterally and longitudinally. To make it simple, they can move from side to side as well as extend out"

Love it Nick, I think I understnd now :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Used to love multi strand with rough hands :D

Not used kryston braids since esp sinklink came out, and on the coated ones I only use Sufix or esp two tone.

Suffix camo skin or stealth skin if im over gravel in shallow water.Never had a hooklink go in all the years i been using it.Dont rule out rig marole hydrolink either,very good quality.

Erics angling were doing suffix hooklinks for a fiver a spool.dont know if they still are.

@nick

if using a running lead set up with slack lines with a straight rig,either with a bag on braid or stiff rig style,surely the resricted movement that you describe doesnt come into effect????only on semi fixed leads??

@nick

if using a running lead set up with slack lines with a straight rig,either with a bag on braid or stiff rig style,surely the resricted movement that you describe doesnt come into effect????only on semi fixed leads??

Don't make me think, thats not fair :!::lol:

You're picking up on something that is true, although there is the miniscule possibility that a carp may just happen across the hooklink from the lead side, and "picks it up" with its mouth clamped over the lakebed as well, in that case even a running lead rig is at full extension with no hope of movement, yet with a non extended rig there is still the possibility of movement away.

@nick

Don't make me think, thats not fair :!::lol:

You're picking up on something that is true, although there is the miniscule possibility that a carp may just happen across the hooklink from the lead side, and "picks it up" with its mouth clamped over the lakebed as well, in that case even a running lead rig is at full extension with no hope of movement, yet with a non extended rig there is still the possibility of movement away.

All this technical talk of the mechanics and engineering of any particular rig, coupled with a few clips from thinking tackle, I think we've just about landed ourselves a discovery channel or bbc2 documentary slot :wink::D