Advice needed for starting my 4 year old fishing please...

dukeboy998

Hi, its been a long time since my last post on here and my last time on the bank due to family and work but the pull is to hard to ignore any more! So i have been getting all my gear out and ready and my little girl is just itching to have a go. We have made a few visits to some local ponds with a lovely variety of small fish to start her off but obviously i cant give her a 12' 2.75lb carp rod and my float rods are also to big and i think to start a reel would be a possible nightmare that may spoil some of the fishing magic. If anyone has got any tips, advice and tackle ideas i welcome all replies

Guest keenook
Just get her a little whip nip the end off and put a no4 elastic in it cheap and light to hold thats what i set my kids up on m8 :wink:

Spot on!

Just get her a little whip nip the end off and put a no4 elastic in it cheap and light to hold thats what i set my kids up on m8 :wink:

Yes and they are very good value for money,my Mrs is 62 and she's still using hers :shock:

Yes and they are very good value for money,my Mrs is 62 and she's still using hers :shock:

Unfortunaly not for fishing either, more for craking when chores need doing! :lol:

Hi Dukeboy good to have you back on board, any new adventures planned?

Unfortunaly not for fishing either, more for craking when chores need doing! :lol:

Hi Dukeboy good to have you back on board, any new adventures planned?

Thanks, glad to be back, i plan to cut my teeth on a local water that was netted and restocked last year with some lovely carp but ultimately i have been back on the search for a new syndicate water within a 2 hour drive. I have been to see a few but keeping an open mind for now. What ever happens you guys will be the first to know.

For now i look forward to getting back up to speed with latest tackle and bits and drooling over the catches of all you carp.com boys 8)

• 2 months later...

^^^^^

My 7 year old swims like a fish as it is, that said I make damn sure he careful and keep an eye on him and always supervise him ( ie I don't fish , he fishes and I am right next to him )

Yes the lake is a dangerous place if you are not paying attention, but so is the road and I suspect I can't justify keeping him in his room till hes 10

Yes think about suitable venues, yes explain the dangers and yes watch like hawks. But I think the above is a little sweeping in my opinion.

Unless you are talking about unsupervised in which case I'm entirely with you ( he's not going on his own till he's 15 or 16 )

Dukeboy : this is similar to a thread I put up a few months ago in which keenook put me onto whips for my lad ( that may have come out wrong )

I got a 4-5m pole and he loves it none of the complexity of reels and associated tangles

i dont think a 4 year old should fish or go near any fishing bank !

wait until the child can swim or is a lot older....

The youngest in my view should be 10 then thats my opinion

What a load of rubbish

We all go fishing as a family and take our 3yr old daughter and she'll happily sit on the edge with her feet dangled over helping her brother (7) to bait up around his float, by all means they make noise and scare the fish but they're having fun so I'm in the view of, if the parents are there keeping an eye on them then why not let them enjoy themselves

• 7 months later...

They are more likely to fall in the duck pond in the park chasing a ball or Frisbee, than into a lake just keep them away from the edge if they aren't fishing, and if you are on a commercial fishery flick the v's to anyone who complains about noise we were all highly excitable at that age and its better that they are getting fresh air, ive had to go in after 2 panicking 12/13 year old in my time but never a child. rant over

Tom

• 1 year later...

If you are still around dukeboy it would be interesting to hear if your daughter is still fishing.....

I took my four year-old boy fishing recently, went to a lake which is a small caravan park, so always other kids around, lots of screeches of joy and kids running about, no peace and quiet but as he is young the day was for him and he loved it! Caught a few as well, I've made him a rod using a top section from and old carp rod, no rings, fly reel fixed at end, weighted fly line goes through the rod, with a length of mono at the end he can flap it about no tangles and can get it out far enough to catch some toddlers, happy daysz :)