Strong Hooks

ian257

I am new to rig tying and had a look through my hook box at some of the carp hooks that i already have, both long shank and short shank wide gape.

They look rather flimsy, the wire looking quite thin, flexing slightly when i push on the gape with my thumb

Now i dont know exactly which hooks they are only that they came from ESP and Kamasan.

Are these hooks ok or can any of you guys reccommend a hook with some more substance about it. Thanks.

Ian.

Guest Anonymous

Try the drennan continental boilie hook mate, old but tried and tested !! korda do a good selection to mate, aswell as nash and esp :wink:

iv'e had loads of korda hooks open when fishing for big fish.

there is only one hook i trust when big fish are around and that is solar longshanks in size 1 i've landed fish over 300lb on them and loads over 100lb.

nuff said.

I popped into Lanes today on the way home from Cov. and had a good look at the hook choice.

Was not impressed with the over the top packaging of the fox armapoint so settled on ESP Raptors, from what i can see a substantial hook of top notch quality.

Ian.

Hi

Can't fault Raptors used them a fair bit for popups etc, really rate the armapoint though currently use a couple of patterns for all my fishing. Have to agree on the over the top packaging, at least it stops them being bashed about in a flimsy wallet.

• 3 months later...

have to say in the last 4 yrs i have tried loads of hooks and for me i have had korum seemless, fox armour point, esp, nash, jrc, korda.

and this was my findings

korums - grea idea for seemless eye but my god they a flimsy and straighten far to easy

esp - nice sharp hooks BUT again far to flimsy and brittle had em straighten and break

korda - disappoint that they wernt sharp enough considering how much danny fairbrass hypes them up.

jrc - nice and sharp, poor eye construction had them cut my fluro line

nash, nice strong hooks but blunt very quickly good pattern design on some

fox amour point - on test very sharp, very strong and very reliable considering i hated their old hooks these armour points for me personally are by far the best on the market.

If it's strength you're after go with Cobelyns advice, check out the size of fish he catches :shock:

I use Gardner muggas... :D

he plays them like a girl though,for ages :lol::lol::lol:

another vote for arma points from me, though id probably never even tried them if i could still get carp r us hooks from my local

jrc - nice and sharp, poor eye construction had them cut my fluro line

At the risk of giving egg-sucking lessons - this can be avoided by looping the line in the direction away from the join. Unless you mean the eye has burrs inside, which really is unforgivable!

the eyes were poor constructed to say the least some had nearly a .5mm gap

i know i was able to gauge it using a feela gauge and yes i did loop them the right way :twisted: