The next Terry Hearn?

carpking4

Think this could ever happen, another Terry Hearn?

As terry states in his book, he spent alot of time baiting up lakes and driving to and from them (would cost loads in petrol today lol) he put in the time and reaped the rewards

Utter respect to tel, but think there could be another like him? Should be interesting to hear your thoughts :wink:

I think Terry was in the right place at the right time (and being an extraordinary talent to boot).

A new era of Carp fishing was just about to happen and Terry was landing whackers when it still meant something. With the amount of stockies and pop-up waters now, the mystique of big fish has been lost.

I think there is still a place for dedicated anglers who work hard on big low stocked pits...but our 'carpology/korda' culture places a lot of emphasis on catching fish at all costs, all of the time. This means the 'celebrity angler' is forced to fish easier waters to keep his pay packet and sponsorship deals.

I think we will look back at Tel's accomplishments as something a bit special and on on par with some of the greats as the years progress.

In Gaz farnhams book it shows that there are plenty of good anglers, ploughing their own furrows on big waters and 'guesting waters'...but Tel seems to have a knack of keeping his accomplishments running and catching the fish he wants to catch.

To answer your question- absolutely - yes there is the chance a young chap could come along over the next few years and batters some huge waters and puts some big old fish on the bank. But unlikely; based on the culture of Carp angling today.

Definatly right place right time,, he is an amazing angler no doubt about that but i feel that there are many erm,,, Terry hearns,, unsung amazing carp anglers that really just fish because its what they love and just arent what you would call celebrity status. Anyone that gets to fish 24/7 and gets paid and sponsored to do it has time to really apply themselves without the restrictions of cost of bait or venue and obviously with that comes better watercraft skills and general knowledge of what to do in any given situation they find themselves in leading to a better catch rate. What i find amazing about some of the top well known anglers is the ability to focus on catching 1 certain fish that they are after,, again i guess this all comes down to time and effort but also a dose of lady luck.

So in answer to your question yes there is already Terry hearns fishing today they could be here on this forum, sitting on the next peg down from you or even the bloke in front of you in the que at the tackle shop its just they dont get there face in the mags with one of the well known "Big Girls" every other week or there latest rig advice etc etc.

Just my opinion

:lol:

Guest keenook

Yes CC,

But Terry Hearn was far from being sponsored when he started on Yateley......but he caught them, where many others failed to do so....

Yes CC,

But Terry Hearn was far from being sponsored when he started on Yateley......but he caught them, where many others failed to do so....

Which is very true, thats why i said he is an amazing angler, i still believe that hes continued to catch because of the amount of time and effort he put in which was made possible by sponsorship and the direction his career went, the point im making is there is others out there that catch as well if not better on a regular basis but they are just not high profile or even bother to put pics in mags to get noticed. dont get me wrong here im not knocking the guy hes a great angler. :)

I think Terry was in the right place at the right time (and being an extraordinary talent to boot).

A new era of Carp fishing was just about to happen and Terry was landing whackers when it still meant something. With the amount of stockies and pop-up waters now, the mystique of big fish has been lost.

I think there is still a place for dedicated anglers who work hard on big low stocked pits...but our 'carpology/korda' culture places a lot of emphasis on catching fish at all costs, all of the time. This means the 'celebrity angler' is forced to fish easier waters to keep his pay packet and sponsorship deals.

I think we will look back at Tel's accomplishments as something a bit special and on on par with some of the greats as the years progress.

In Gaz farnhams book it shows that there are plenty of good anglers, ploughing their own furrows on big waters and 'guesting waters'...but Tel seems to have a knack of keeping his accomplishments running and catching the fish he wants to catch.

To answer your question- absolutely - yes there is the chance a young chap could come along over the next few years and batters some huge waters and puts some big old fish on the bank. But unlikely; based on the culture of Carp angling today.

What he said^^^^^^ really sums it up

I totally agree with CC, Terry Hearn is a great angler and his books and his catches are really inspiring. I am sure there are plenty out there who try to emulate his style and achievements and I'm sure many succeed but wether it be they don't want the publicity or they just can't get it they never make headlines and become a FACE on the carp scene. :shock::D

Ive fished next to some awsome anglers, Another Terry Hearn? not sure how you would define the new or next T H,

I know of a couple of anglers who have the touch of luck to go with the touch of genius, one of them you might start seeing a little bit over the next couple of years through the mags etc Top angler but also dead lucky, you know the ones, those who get the rub of the green. Eg turn up and the swim they wanted was free or the swim where the fish are stacked up has become free intime for their arrival with perfect conditions.

• 4 months later...
Think this could ever happen, another Terry Hearn?
He said his Mother fished the Thames when she was pregnant with him.

Perhaps brilliant anglers are born...

My Missus was up the duff while fishing last year so who knows this little smasher could be it!

316009_286883551325714_100000122141004_1289754_874245078_n.jpg

On a more serious note the likes of all the sponsored anglers who fish for a living, spending endless amounts of hours on the bank with access to any water they please should really be discounted

For me its the normal angler, the ones that have fit their fishing in around their jobs and family lives where the limited free time they have to get on the bank is precious yet they'd still rather turn up without a rod just spending that time to bait up, watch swims and likely spots all undeterred by the presence of a rig giving the fish the freedom to swim without caution thus giving themselves away with those tell tell signs that not many anglers would pick up on. The sort that turn up, grab the closet swim to the car and cast as far as they possibly can

Now I'm no great angler by any stretch of the imagination and feel more luck played its part when I can catch but I've done the above and believe me it's hard. Turning up to where you plan to fish rod-less just there to bait up and watch for signs, then you see them moving in on the bait and the temptation is there is hop back on your bike knowing you'd be home and back in 15 mins, 10 at a push ready to try and catch one but don't. Then having to go home and reflect on what you learned and how that was going to play a part in your next outing all the time trying to get that 'what if i did have a cast' attitude out of that back your mind