damaged tail

fishingrich1982

seen damage like this before from tethering with leadcore around snags :cry::cry:

And idiots who decide to remove fins so that they can see whether they have caught it before :evil::shock::(:cry:

..Im lucky enough not to of fished waters with that kind of a55 on it mate...but im in no doubt whatsoever that it happens more often than we would believe...I have partially snipped a pec fin a couple of times but this is only due to them beating themselves up to get through a snag etc and with spines broken that wont mend...far safer to trim it and treat it, than leave it to die off and possibly infect

There was a fish in Mid Kent Fisheries Tonford Lake called No Tail because it had no tail obviously . .LOL . . its said that it happened by an angler using braided mainline and the fish getting snagged, causing the braid to cut the tail off. This is only what I have heard so I am not saying this is exactly what happened

Hi it could be all the above as already stated, however there is another thing.

I have a double figure carp that was attacked by cormorant in november 2009 and like a lot of the fish the damage looked superficial and in normal circumstanses would have heeled.

However for a carps immune system to work the water temp needs to be up in the double figures, something that didnt happen until the middle of april.

Meanwhile the damage was attacked by bacteria causing ulcers and then this was in turn infected with fungus.

The result was half its caudal, one of its pecks and its anal fin all lost before the fish recovered.

Some of my fish never recovered!

not at all.....not getting into the whole leadcore debate...suffice to say its more than capable of that damage and has been culprit of far worse.....check out the leadcore threads

it could be otters not pike tho none in the lake. its a very snaggy water and leadcore is allowed so that could be it.

Hi mate,

Its terrible when you come across this type of thing once in a while. :(

I'm pretty sure we can rule out pike on this 1 and im sure we can rule the otter out to as the damage looks to clean a cut to me.

I think gobo's right mate its proberly leadcore. But its people who use leadcore incorrectly that are the problem not the material.

I saw a case of this at the weekend guys and after speaking with the fishery manager it transpires that the cause was in fact an otter. He had had reports of two fish being caught over the weekend that had the upper section of the tail taken off. An otter will attack at the rear of the fish and with its sharp teeth more than often remove the upper section if the fish manages to evade.

Make sure to treat any open wounds for the fish to avoid ifection

Tight lines