leighton pools wolverhampton

My View (posted last year on another thread):

I had the mis-fortune of trying this place last year. Nothing wrong with the pools...just the owners.

We got there on friday night, for a weekend stint and didnt see anyone 'till sat morning. No probs there. Then the ownders son came around the peg (and without introdcing himself) critiqued everything I was doing. Not want you want from a 13 year old. Once he was introduced, he then waited until I was just about to cast before informing me that he wanted to inspect my rig. I was then informed: No artificals (ie Maize), No safety clips - no helicopters- no chods(running rigs only), no combi link material- Mono only etc etc etc.

I politely said "I'll tell you what... I'm off". 10 minutes later his 20 stone Dad came down, sticking his chest out and looking all surly.

Lifes too short and there's too many good waters out there to waste money when lake owners want to get arsey with people- they dont publish their rules at the lake (and dont meet you to tell them to you)and then pick fault with perfectly sensible rigs that would be allowed in every other lake in the country.

The search facility will yield you around other 10- 15 posts on it.

:lol: i can understand how much it must have wound you up, i'd have felt the same had it happened to me. Having said that, i fished there for 4 or so years and never had a experience like that what so ever. The money is a joke though i agree, thats why i pulled off in the end

my freind fished there a couple of years ago said it was a cracking he has got his pitchure on there web site with quite a nice mirror recomended the place to me, so i booked on last year found the women a bit narky on the phone thought nothing of it ,anyway turned up that morning found quite rude and not very helpful found my own way to the swim 5/6 i think its a double peg ,as i got there to lads where just coming off our pegs they was,nt to impressed with it on that note me and my freind left for poolhall,but what they did say if we where going to stay was try and stay of the boards and have ur clutch set tight sit on ur rods there is some crackers in there

Quite suprised to hear of a few bad experiences there to be honest. Like i say never had a single one myself. What i will say though, if you can put aside the baliff and his son and who ever (they do only come round once then leave you to it once they've got their money) then there are some absolutely beautiful carp to be caught. And it is a beautiful water and its surroundings, been over 130 years old

Personally i have had no probs like beza but asking for info or tips about the place off the owners is a waste of time all they do is collect the money and go (which suits me).

I don't think they have ever asked us what we have had out of there let alone spots and bait used.

what you have to remember is it is not an easy water in any sense but for me the fish are immaculate and with a bit of experimenting with bait and location you WILL get the results.

I can only add its downfall is the price for me like beza said. :wink:

Thanks lads I hav seen the other posts and I am in two minds nw I hav met the owners son and he is a bit of a plonker tbf I reckon he will get on me tits I think I am just gonna do the 1 session and see 4 myself if not gna go back to poolhall lol I just don't like being told by a 13 year old I like to b left alone when fishing :)so still no tips on bait or rigs den :P it seems like u cnt use anything there :s

I used anything i wanted there, but then again i never had them trying to give it the big un when i first got there. Its very silty so long hooklinks and bottom baits for me. Hemp and corn too. I also done well on zigs there and off the top, never seen anyone else doing it on there for some reason, preferred sitting on the bottom all day when the fish were cruising :roll: Let us know how you get on

• 2 months later...

haha this made me laff, I fished there quite a few times and agree fish are immaculate. Ive only blanked on 1 occasion out of 7! biggest of 24lb! i was gonna have a go this summer but think im gonna try sumwer else! Any suggestions??? The gaffers name is clive + if ur on the bank he wont come collect the cash as he cant get his fat ass back up the banking! if any1 goes there try peg 2 or 3 fish about 6ft off the island plenty of pellets and broken boileys! or 5/6 and fish right upto the fallen tree! If u dont want any1 coming round the bank. Before you empty ur kit just pop to the caravan u wont miss it the dogs r crazy, pay there nobody will bother you! How did u get on (CARP SHARPE)????

i'd say you're better off at pool hall but they way its fishing at the moment and the new owner your better of putting a bit more money into it and going some where else... i think its called merrington, i've never fished it but i've been told by a few that its a good place with some nice carp in it so yeah have a look :)

i'd say you're better off at pool hall but they way its fishing at the moment and the new owner your better of putting a bit more money into it and going some where else... i think its called merrington, i've never fished it but i've been told by a few that its a good place with some nice carp in it so yeah have a look :)

Martyn, you're right about Merrington. I understand that it was stocked with carp from Wellington Park, a fishery known for it's immaculate but wary fish.

I've fished there on several occasions and every fish I've seen or caught has been in perfect condition.

There's a resident Barn Owl that's quite tame and will forage close by if you're quiet.

Nice, peaceful place.

Ian