Obsession with size

Guest Anonymous

Gotta disagree in some sense, would rather land the 'big one' than pox about with smaller ones. Dont get me wrong all carp are welcome, but I go after the bigger ones. I only photo 25lb plus carp now

I'm with you Nick, let me put it in a different light smiler. So you only take pics of 25 pound plus fish, what if everybody was like that? Where will carp fishing history be in 20 years time?

At the moment I could easily dig up pics of some of the most famous carp in this country that date back a long time, 70's and before. It's nice to see them, it's nice to have a record, and it'd be a sad day if there was no more of that and the kids coming into the sport had no reference to the past.

And in 20 years time I will catch them and we can compare lol

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this sounds argumenative but I would rather not catch small carp. My thinking is that, while I'm faffing around playing a small fish, my bait is no longer available to a larger fish. I like to set the traps for large carp and am happy to wait [and blank if necessary] until that special carp comes along. Horses for courses and all that.

Sorry if this sounds argumenative but I would rather not catch small carp. My thinking is that, while I'm faffing around playing a small fish, my bait is no longer available to a larger fish. I like to set the traps for large carp and am happy to wait [and blank if necessary] until that special carp comes along. Horses for courses and all that.

I am with you on that one pal,

You know that all your effort from observation, folling routes, prepping areas, watching habits etc of the big carp, then you get everything perfect and its all ruined from a smaller carp, its all start and wait again.

The amount of people around lakes that say there after 1 or 2 more fish (i.e the named big ones) is more than who are commenting against my approach, look at uncle Jim - what are the fellas thoughts of him on here then? He is a big fish bounty hunter! Went to conny, caught two tone then left, yes people wernt happy but he is an awesome angler and carrys that with him everywhere.

If you wanna catch what you want go ahead, but dont have a go at the people who want the photo shots of a big one

To the rest of the fellas who clearly disagree

Guest Anonymous

I think there's a possible lack of understanding on this. Of course I'd rather catch bigger fish, I've been doing this for a long time so spend my time chasing single fish. But this doesn't mean I don't take pics of fish under 25.

Since the restocking on the North most of us have taken pics of any pretty fish, regardless of size, and it's made it interesting as we're building a record of the lake and it's stock. It's nice seeing the pics from one year to the next, knowing the growth rate, where they're coming out from etc.

It's also a nice thing to show the new lads each year, I'm a bit surprised with your post Keith, I thought you'd be interested in a pictorial history of the stock.............seeing as you own them. But maybe your punters provide that.

Snap.

I pick and choose the places I fish and the carp I fish for with the express purpose of catching big, nice looking carp.

I can understand people fishing for any carp, but if I were to do this it would be with simple float tactics and not sitting behind three rods.

Guest Anonymous

Lol, I still say you're only reading what you want from my posts. My point (yet again) is not about what you personally like to do, that's 100% your choice........and I'm all for anglers doing what they want, it's a hobby, there are no set rules.

My point on only taking pics of fish over 25lb is that if we all do that there'll be no history to look back on in the future, no early pics of the "Heathers" and "Two tones" that will once again grace our banks in years to come.

I for one enjoy seeing this, if you only live for the big fish of today then the history of the sport will eventually have a massive void somewhere in it's midst, I'd hate the kids coming into it now to know nothing of the era we're in.

That's it, that's where I'm coming from, it's not rocket science. By all means only target bigger fish, I've already said that's what I do......and bigger than what you seem to be angling for at the moment on the venue you mention in your introduction. But that doesn't stop the smaller fish gracing the banks through the season.............and if they're as dark and stunning as the one I posted above then to me they're the future of a sport that I've been obsessed with for 30 odd years and worthy of an album shot.

I've said my bit mate, and welcome to the forum you argumentative git :wink:

Actually, I ain't quite finished :D

When it comes to pics, 30lb Simmo or 20lb Leney?

I'll rest my case on your answer :wink:

Sign me up for the 20lb Leney every time!

As for photographing the smaller ones, I agree completely, the record of these fish, for later years to see how they have grown etc is worth spending a few minutes to take a photo.

Id rather be able to say, look at all these stunning looking fish that Ive caught, rather than look at all these boring fish that look like pigs!

I don't target the bigger fish most of the time, I like to catch the stockies of the pond. I have fished my local pond for two years and have looked back at some of the photos from two years ago to recently and have caught the same fish and seen how it had grown, it fasinates me. I'll see if I can post a picture of a mirror I caught 2 years ago, my mate caught it (his first carp) at 14lb, it was great to see it's progress. Any carp is worth taking a picture

Snap.

I pick and choose the places I fish and the carp I fish for with the express purpose of catching big, nice looking carp.

I can understand people fishing for any carp, but if I were to do this it would be with simple float tactics and not sitting behind three rods.

Frank,

You know my view on fishing, and I have to take what I can get in terms of time and what is available.

I managed a couple of years ago to catch my first ever 30lb Carp (my avatar pic), and as nice as it is, a big Italian style fish, I think that some of the other fish caught from the syndicate takes better places in the looks stakes, or even my previous personal best.

A couple of weeks ago at a mates insistence I had a day at what I'm sure should have been a stock pond, the carp I caught all on float and lift method may have been good looking fish, but none of them broke the 10lb barrier. As much as I enjoyed the day fishing I got to the stage that I really was wishing that I hadn't fished it. I lost count of the fish I had even if they were beautiful, yet rather than photograph them I simply put them back.

So to the words of Franks quoted above, I do like to target the big beautiful looking fish, yet there is still a place for the positive looker in my fishing.

• 4 months later...

well said hawkwise,

i take pics of small carp, its all i seem to catch!!

on a more serious level, i just did 48 hours on my little nene valley lake, second season and im still to hook a carp in there, a lad turned up with his dad for a couple of days, i got chatting and it turned out the lad had a 17lb mirror from there a few months back, showed a photo, and wow, a proper woodcarving old leney fish, proof of whats in the place, thank god he took the pic instead of thinking "its only 17lb"

The day i start calling carp "lookers" will be a very sad day they are fish. They are fishy and no man should be calling a fish a looker. Its not right you need sometime time away from the pond guys.

Not sure if this post is supposed to be serious or tongue in cheek, perhaps you could clarify Adam?

Think the difficulty of the water fished is more important than fish size. Fishing lakes packed with fish is easy compared with fishing low stocked waters. But agree i never weigh and photo a fish that isnt my personal best or my first out of a new lake

So if on your first trip to a lake you caught an F1 you would photograph it but if it was a wood carving you would not, makes sense I suppose.

No wonder the soul is going out of carp fishing...

The day i start calling carp "lookers" will be a very sad day they are fish. They are fishy and no man should be calling a fish a looker. Its not right you need sometime time away from the pond guys.

Tongue in cheek?

Sure fish are fish, but each fish is different. As of that I think that some fish are absolutely beautiful looking fish, and there are some that I think could be a whole lot better looking.

Somewhere on here I have pictures of a 21lb Simmo style fish, yet it looks ugly to me, sorry. But some of the doubles and 20's I have caught in the long distant past I think are absolutely beautiful fish, and easily worth a picture:

gipping.jpg

Earith-2.jpg

15lbTaverham.jpg

17lbLinearMirrorEarith.jpg

Forgive me not putting the weights on for the picture, but do they really matter? :wink: