best rods for the money

Im trying to decide on a set of new rods. I have a budget of £280 per rod, max and was wondering what you guys thought of whats out there?

Some advise on blanks etc would be cool.

They will be 3lb test or maybe 31/4 if the actions right.

Thats a fair old budget! What do you require from the rods?

Iv been saving for these babies, and for that reason wanna make the right choice.

Got lots of mates saying go with a nice set of shimano, then others saying century. Iv got a set of greys at the moment and there lovely rods. I want a bit more beaf for those longer chucks, so stepping up from 2.3/4 to 3lb or maybe 3.1/4.

I am a tackle tart so they have to look nice as well as perform well. Some info on the actual blanks would be good? I dont fully understand the tech side of things when it comes to diff carbons etc.

I have viewed a few rods and felt the bend in the shop but that really tells me nothing, be nice to be able to cast lots of diff rods when deciding.

I've used Century rods from the original Armalite to the Mkll and then onto 2.75lc TC SP's and NG's. For absolute quality I have had no gripes, they play fish beautifully, and can cast a long way.

http://www.century.gb.com/products.html

That Century link goes to the fishing products page and will also give links to the rod builders that Keenook mentioned :wink:

That's a hell of a budget! What will you be pairing them with and what do you want to do with them?

Iv got an old set of Daiwa emblem z's, :roll:

There old school reels but i love them and wouldnt part with them. Wont see me paying £350 for a reel!

I've upgraded mine over the last year. I had a set for 15 years that were perfect for most of my fishing- however they were getting old and soft and I bought some NG's from fleabay. They were very nice rods, but I found myself in a position like you to upgrade properly.

Long story short I had some 3 1/4 Torrix's for X-Mas (built by Fosters). and it has to be said they are flipping awesome.

They put 15 yards straight onto my cast overnight. When I started to wind them up I started to crack off- so I've had to add shock leaders to prevent this (my old ones were so soft I could wind them up without much fear of cracking off).

Having owned them for 3 months now and spent some time googling casting techniques and practice casting (properly), I've added probably 40 yards onto my casts.... with a lot more potential in the rods that I haven't unlocked yet. Unfortunately I've only had one fish since x-mas (a 26lb common), but the rod felt good through the fight- certainly lots of power in it. I wouldn't like to think I was using it to fish for doubles though- I think you would lose some of the feeling of the fight with them.

I know three others who have sold NG's for Torrix's and all are equally happy with them. The view of the rod builder at Fosters are that they are the best blanks around at the moment.

Guest Anonymous

I also have 3.25 Torrix's buit by Mark Tunley (£285 each) and they do everything I need. They're not an out and out chucking rod though, if that's what you want you'll need Trebuchets or similar.

If you buy Century blanks take into account that they seem slightly lighter than the tc's they state.

I also have 3.25 Torrix's buit by Mark Tunley (£285 each) and they do everything I need. They're not an out and out chucking rod though, if that's what you want you'll need Trebuchets or similar.

If you buy Century blanks take into account that they seem slightly lighter than the tc's they state.

Trebuchets? A friend of mines got the century SGs and they are lovely rods, although he did break one on a cast. So maybe your right on the tc's

What about Free Spirit? Excellent build quality and will last forever

In all honesty iv not had a good look at free spirit, but I will have to now. Do you own a set?

PM Sharpy86 he had Free Spirits from memory :wink:

Incidentally Century SP's were in fact are the rods that managed to break the World Long Distance casting records in various Lead sizes:wink:

So not as soft as they may seem. :wink:

I'm pretty positive that Century don't make an SG, so I presume that is a typo?

At some point all rod manufacturers will have a problem with a breakage, I've seen Simpsons of Turnford rods go, as well as Hutchy IMX's, and have managed myself to break a Daiwa Amorphous rod while casting before purchase :oops: ( I wouldn't touch Daiwa after that :P )

Overloading a rod can also lead to a break. If a rod is designed for a 3oz lead, then loading it up with a 3oz lead and 4ozs of bait in a PVA bag can cause overloading problems and a pile of carbon splinters.

At some point all rod manufacturers will have a problem with a breakage, I've seen Simpsons of Turnford rods go, as well as Hutchy IMX's, and have managed myself to break a Daiwa Amorphous rod while casting before purchase :oops: ( I wouldn't touch Daiwa after that :P )

ters.

Funny no one has mentioned the rods with a DF on for catching carps.

Guest Anonymous

Lol, they'll be pukka.

The only rods I've ever had with a name on them were Gibbinson eclipses, but they really were superb.................and Jim knew his stuff a little bit more than Danny the salesman :wink:

Lol, they'll be pukka.

The only rods I've ever had with a name on them were Gibbinson eclipses, but they really were superb.................and Jim knew his stuff a little bit more than Danny the salesman :wink:

You forget the various Kevin Maddocks rods!

From the original Simpsons KM's and the later super bling Gold concept's.

Oh yes, saw a Jim Gibbinson Eclipse go crack. A mate took them out the parcel, put line through the rings to rig them up, pulled a bend in 1 and about 10cms of the tip flew off.

What about Free Spirit? Excellent build quality and will last forever

In all honesty iv not had a good look at free spirit, but I will have to now. Do you own a set?

PM Sharpy86 he had Free Spirits from memory :wink:

Incidentally Century SP's were in fact are the rods that managed to break the World Long Distance casting records in various Lead sizes:wink:

So not as soft as they may seem. :wink:

I'm pretty positive that Century don't make an SG, so I presume that is a typo?

Overloading a rod can also lead to a break. If a rod is designed for a 3oz lead, then loading it up with a 3oz lead and 4ozs of bait in a PVA bag can cause overloading problems and a pile of carbon splinters.

Yep it was a typo! He has the NG's. He didnt overload the rod, it was a genuine fault with the rod, but i have to say that they replaced it strait away and sent a letter to appologise. Its going to happen from time to time.