Problems with putty

tonybranno

I much prefer to use putty for counterbalancing my pop up rigs and im using Krystons Heavy Metal for this purpose at the moment but the big problem i have is that it takes an awful lot just to counterbalance a single 10mm boilie.

On another session this week i was using a 15mm Source pop with a load of putty over the braid knot but the putty was nearly as big as a 12mm boilie itself, it looked like a huge grey bogey hanging on my line. Is there any much heavier putty on the market which you recommend? Because at the moment ive had to go back to using the good old split shot which im not 100% comfortable with.

Few ways around this, use the split shot on the Hair itself, or create another small hang from the Hair and attach the putty/shot to that.

Pic of that in here:https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22185

I use either Kryston Heavy Metal myself or the Solar Equivalent (its the same stuff). I know that some people do get on well with the Gardner.

The alternative is to get your pop-ups less buoyant. It may mean trimming them down (which is a good way to increase the Attraction of them), or go to the Snowman Rig using a Bottom bait as a Counterbalance.

I used to use Stack rigs with 4 8mm Boilies on the Hair and a Cork Ball 2nd from the top. For some reason that produced an awful lot of fish in the winter

Is there any much heavier putty on the market which you recommend? Because at the moment ive had to go back to using the good old split shot which im not 100% comfortable with.

I use the Stick-up putty by Armalead. If found this to be slightly heavier than the stuff from Kryston.

What I also do is take a small length of lead stripped from leadcore and wrap it around the spot where I want the putty to be on the rig. I then wrap the putty around the twisted leadcore so that it holds the putty in place. It also means you have to use less putty as the weight of the lead will also help to counter the pop up :wink:

I must admit that I have never used split shot to counter balance a pop up. I have always worried about squeezing the shot onto the rig material and damaging it, particularly when using braided hook lengths. But again this is a confidence thing, I would much prefer a big lump of putty than worrying that the rig may break because I squeezed the shot on too tightly.

I use the fox HI-SG rig putty, its alittle bit expencive but it does the job. I can use just alittle bit of putty and it will keep my pop-up rigs down (i use normally between 10mm-15mm)

I cant remember how much it costs but when you buy it, it comes in two different colours dark green and brown so its handy for most lake beds.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I know this post is almost a month old but I tried Fox quick change pop up weights today with great success. They're a bit fiddly to put on the line but work well & are completely adjustable. I only used 10mm boilies & they counter balanced them perfectly. 15mm baits may still require some putty which could be added over the fox weight?

I use is Kryston Heavy Metal but I do use a lot of pop up corn cause boilies are banned on my water.

I sometimes use Pole Olivettes as Pop-up counterbalances.

I think its Drennan that manufacturer some that are held on the Line by small pieces of Tubing at either end. Since they are Mouse Dropping shaped they sit flat on the bottom without being too obvious.

If you use leadcore then when you splice it save the bits of lead wire and tightly wrap these around you rig where you want the putty then mould the putty around the coiled lead wire.

Not only does it mean you use less putty but it also helps to keep the putty locked in the correct place on your rig.

Oh and remember that if you are fishing in water around 8 to 10 feet deep then you bait will be around 1/3 less bouyant due to water pressure than at the surface so you would get away with using a 1/3 less putty.

Oh and remember that if you are fishing in water around 8 to 10 feet deep then you bait will be around 1/3 less bouyant due to water pressure than at the surface so you would get away with using a 1/3 less putty.

I agree with this. I read an article in Carpworld about some guy fishing Bundys Pit. Now this pit goes down to depths of 65 feet and they used to use pop ups but never shotted them down. Cos at that depth the pop up will be a counterbalanced bottom bait anyway.

I know this post is almost a month old but I tried Fox quick change pop up weights today with great success. They're a bit fiddly to put on the line but work well & are completely adjustable.

Ive got these put i dont like using them. I feel they pinch the braid just a bit too much in my opinion and possibly could weaken the hooklink.

Guest Anonymous
I know this post is almost a month old but I tried Fox quick change pop up weights today with great success. They're a bit fiddly to put on the line but work well & are completely adjustable.

Ive got these put i dont like using them. I feel they pinch the braid just a bit too much in my opinion and possibly could weaken the hooklink.

I could appreciate that if they were fitted in the same way as lead shot but I just cannot understand how they could possibly pinch the braid when you consider that the rubber insert simply grips the line but will slide if required. They've been developed for this very situation & so's not to damage mainlines.

Just my opinion, different strokes for different folks :wink:

I don't use braid so maybe it's me having a blonde moment?

They seem to work well with Flourocarbon but even better with a Snakeskin hooklength with the last inch or so peeled back.

if you were to use some putty on the hook itself would this help the hook to drop to the bottom of the mouth quicker once the carp has taken the bait, and would this make it harder for the fish to eject the bait once taken.....just a thought.... :roll:

:wink:

SSSHHH!!! :!:

Don't give people ideas, especially when I've been trying to work on this and play with it on the occasions I do use putty and pop-ups. :lol::D