Lift Float method

sterry

Probably a complete newbie question !!! so i have warned you !,

i know you need to sink the float to the right depth so its under the surface but would you do this by plummeting your depth like you do when your course fishing , but when stalking oviously you walk about so every baited area might be different depth, or have i completly got confused on this set up some help would be greatly appreciated ... :)

Guest keenook

With the "lift method" you can always fish over depth, by this I mean if you know the general depth of the swim then set the float to the max depth! Then cast, sink the line, place rod on sticks and wind down until just the sight bob is visible, Drennan windbeaters are great floats for this type of fishing, when you get a take the float will either pop up or disapear

Good luck!

Guest keenook
Place a big shot a couple of inch from the hook and attach the float via bands. This allows you to adjust the depth easily when needed.

My prefered float for this type of fishing is a short clear waggler, around 4 inchs long.

So not a "windbeater" with a huge bouyant lower body, that will shoot strait up when the shot is displaced?

Place a big shot a couple of inch from the hook and attach the float via bands. This allows you to adjust the depth easily when needed.

My prefered float for this type of fishing is a short clear waggler, around 4 inchs long.

So not a "windbeater" with a huge bouyant lower body, that will shoot strait up when the shot is displaced?

Not in the shallow areas I fish for tench Kev.

I love the chipped orange tip of an old Porcupine quill myself :wink:

Lift float method fished slightly overdepth, and if you are quiet enough its easy enough to present the float in and then slide the float up on a single float band to the depth without scaring the fish.

I tend to use the mainline to hooklink join (swivel or knot) as the place to put the weight, be it shot or putty.

• 4 weeks later...
Surely its all about balance . the float and weights being critically balanced so when a fish picks up the bait it feels no resistance and "lifting" the float. I personally like a double goose quill float .

no, it's not about critical balance. the rig needs to outweigh the float without the bait (although not by much). When the bait and the bottom hot lifts the float rises, if the fish picks up the bait and swims off, the float dives.

I use a 2 swan shot drennan clear loafer fished over depth with the shot about 4" from the hook. Just wind down until the float cocks and wait for it to pop up and lay flat and then slide away before striking. Lots of movement while the fish are in the area mooching about so you will get lots of indications that why i always wait for the float to slide off before striking as you dont want to spook them by striking early.

• 5 weeks later...
I use a 2 swan shot drennan clear loafer fished over depth with the shot about 4" from the hook. Just wind down until the float cocks and wait for it to pop up and lay flat and then slide away before striking. Lots of movement while the fish are in the area mooching about so you will get lots of indications that why i always wait for the float to slide off before striking as you dont want to spook them by striking early.

About as good a discription as Ive seen.

Perfect for any carp that swims and any bait.