Can anyone throw some light on the lack of carp feeding

riksim

Hi I'm a recent convert to carp fishing having previously been a keen fly fisher. I have been fishing my local lakes in one of the new estates in the northern suburbs of Melbourne. In January we could do no wrong catching at least a couple of fish every day smallest carp around a kilo and one nice fish of aprox six kilos, almost exclusively on corn but sometimes we freelined bread on the surface with some success. Hardly anyone else fishes the venue. We were also catching some nice redfin on spinners quite regurarly in some of the lakes too.

However after the cyclone in Queensland we got lots of rain and the lakes flooded. The night after the flood there was some huge carp moving around on the surface one of which we managed to hook but were unable to land because we didn't have our net with us I estimate this fish to be around 8 kilos we caught a couple of small carp under a kilo the next day, but for the past 3 weeks nothing. There is virtualy no sighn of carp feeding at all no bubbles no rings on surface Ive seen a couple small fish jumping but thats it. Everyone I have spoken to has said the same the fish seem to have dissapeared.Others fisjherman have been using worms and dough balls to no avail. The redfin dried up too untill the last few days I have started catching small ones on spinners even some baby fish so I'm guessing the redfin are having thier young.

Is it possible the carp are breeding too and therefore not very interested in eating or does anyone have any other ideas. The only other difference is the temperature has dropped about 5 degrees but nothing dramatic.. Please , please , please can you help me catch some fish again

G'day and welcome to the forum!

If you've indeed had a flood event, depending on the water quality prior, there could be a massive change in the water quality since. Especially if the lake is subject to run-off from surrounding estates etc. This will definitely put the fish down for awhile. It's a bit hit and miss though, if the influx in new water stirs up the water column releasing need food into the system then you could see an increase in feeding behaviour. Too much agitation of the system could see a 'black water' event or close to which would shut down the system completely.

I'd wait till there is some consistent calm high pressure weather patterns. Bait up during this time and then fish the change of pattern ie. Low pressure front. This will give you a better idea of whether the fish are still there. It's also mid summer when feeding rates of carp do plateau, in the next couple of months you'll see an increase in feeding leading into winter.

Spawning is definitely over until late Nov/Dec so you can rule that out I would reckon.

Hope this helps,

Ben

Thanks for the input. I'll definately take what you have said on board. I'm looking forward to getting back amongst the fish. I'll keep you informed of what happens. Caught a few medium sized reddies last night so I have at least them to keep me occupied.

Tight lines.

Carp can also go into PH shock if the PH of the water changes by a large amount in a short period of time which can be fatal. People can suffer with this when they have an open pond environment.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know a couple of nights ago I saw quite a few decent sized carp cruising around. Managed to hook up to 5 but 4 of them broke me on first run and last one spat hook out. Tried again next night caught 1 at around a kilo and another at aprox 6 kilos. So it pays to keep trying. Seems the large carp are alwas the first to check things out you just got to be there at right time. Hopefully they will keep feeding for a while thanks to everyone for thier help.

020320111.jpg

This is my best carp to date which was returned fit and healthy to fight another day

• 2 weeks later...

Caught my first carp on fly rod yesterday. Had floating line 6 foot leader and size 10 hook with couple pieces of corn on it. Put up nice fight even though it was just under a kilo. Caught another 4 today same way almost on edge of the bank in the weeds was a nice bit of fun and a new expierience