is it a good idea

macbilly

Is it a good idea for group s of individuls to promote private carp fishing ie secret information,secret fishing areas.we had it in england it was pretty stinky.i see it is being promoted here in the intrests of better fishing,sounds like govt bull so i hope it fails,but it wont,thin edge of the wedge.we have great fishing open and free dont let them stuff it cheers macbilly

I think a a general rule private fisheries are for privately owned waters on private land, and public waters are free to all. That's the Australian way.

However there are some opportunities:

Angling Clubs could organise special access to waters that are off limits to the general public, eg. Water storages etc. If a Club can demonstrate that it is responsible/reliable then the relevant authority might grant access on specific terms.

Also there is the opportunity for a private landowner to provide access over private property to fish in a public water that can otherwise not be accessed.

I think if someone wants to promote their own fishery, good luck to them. They might go out of their way to grow some huge carp. It's worth paying for. I'm also in favour of angling clubs as Steve suggests. Clubs have a much better education mechanism for responsible behaviour and a better feedback system if something goes wrong.

It's a group of likeminded people who can then pool their resources.

I don't think anyone would allow a public waterway to be leased for a commercial paying fishery.

England is quite different from Australia in terms of fishing access to streams that cross land. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

I would support it definately, i miss it alot. Yeah you had to pay but the benefits were good i.e. security for your car, no rubbish covered banks, etc.

I would be keen to join if the oppurtunity came up!

I agree with you mate, its great that the majority of fishing is free here but it comes at a cost and that is litter, morons and security, I'd certainly support and use a water that was properly managed, stocked and fished by like minded anglers. :D

atb,

Chris

Sometimes the morons can be entertaining. I've got lots of tips on how to prepare a wall for future graffiti just by quietly watching. Currently though, I prefer to fish within visual range of my car.

In fact, if I could have a combination of the factors that I enjoy in Canberra, easy access to the lake, convenient parking, shade, lack of wind and a path for scantily clad fit young women to randomly ride and run past on, I think I'd pay a reasonable fee to go fish there even if there wasn't a guarantee of a stocked swim.

Yes most of the fishing in Canberra is easily accessible that has its advantages and disadvantages, the accessible spots can get pretty busy though and there are certain car parks that are best avoided after dark for various reasons, the one off Ginninderra Drive springs to mind, no shortage of substance abuse in there at night and the odd burning car!!! :shock:

atb,

Chris