Stiff Rigs

donk01

hello mate, if your fishing a D-rig for a choddy or stiff hinge rig, basically you put a rig ring on the D of the hook then using bait floss you tie the pop up onto the rig ring...

i prefer not to use rig rings and bait floss the popups straight to the D on the hook,

also always use cork ball pop ups vital

Stiff rigs can be used in a number of ways. You can use a stiff presentation where by, you use a stiff material all the way through, hair included. Where the hooklink connects to the swivel you make a loop, like you would with the hinged stiff rig. This gives the rig flexability. There you have it a very simple bottom bait stiff rig.

Also, may I add that the hinged stiff rig and the chod are designed to be fished off bottom debris, such as, weed, silt etc. It is NOT designed, and far less effective, when used on hard gravel. It is vitally important that a rig is used in the right situations. I feel pop-ups are too blatant on a hard gravel bottom and will always stick to a bottom bait in these situations. Remember a rig won't give you more pick ups, it will turn more pick ups into bites! A rig in the wrong situation though will work way against you!

as willi said each rig works in its own right, obvoiusly chod rigs are designed to be fished over choddy/silty bottom, But i will almost always cast a choddy at a showing/boshing carp and aslong as i feel the lead hit the bottom i know its presented ok, choddys are not for weed, spend abit of time casting a lead around and then decided on rigs, hard bottoms - bottom baits,,,, silty - choddys/stiff hinge etc. ....etc etc etc IMO anyway

good luck fella

Hi all,

Been a while since i posted on here..

Need some help with Stiff Rigs and D rigs please.

I am a newbie to all this so please be gentle with me.

Just made my first 2 stiff rigs. Now i do not have a clue how to connect the boillie to it. :?::?::?:

Please help :wink:

Is this any use?

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22185

there are a few rig pics of stiff and D-rig set-ups.

When it comes to mounting a pop-up (or even Snowman) onto a rig ring or D-rig I create a loop at the end of the hair material (in my case usually 4 lb mono) by tying a Uni knot and putting the pop-up into that loop and pulling tight. Then with that bait I can then work out the hair length required and tie the hair onto the ring with a Uni or Blood knot.

choddys are not for weed

Wrong choddys are for weed. Jim Shelley uses a choddy over any bottom apart from hard bottoms. The lead will sink into the weed and the rest of the leader or mainline will settle on top as long as the pop-up only just sinks under the wait of the leader or putty etc. A well tied and balanced choddy will settle on the tiniest strands of weed or bottom debris!

If you are fishing choddys in weed, please make sure a: your top bead can easily pass over the top splice of your leadcore/ line b: you use a rotten bottom (3lb or such like) to attached you lead. If you need to wind your cast up and think the light line will snap - you can PVA Tape/ string it on.

using a weak link to fix the lead on while using leadcore or any leader on a heli/chod set up compromises the safety aspect, you need the weight of the lead on the leader in the invent of a crank off/line break for the hook link to be able to pull free/dump the leader. without the weight ,the leader can easily stay connected to the the hook link, leaving the fish trailing both hook length and leader

using a weak link to fix the lead on while using leadcore or any leader on a heli/chod set up compromises the safety aspect, you need the weight of the lead on the leader in the invent of a crank off/line break for the hook link to be able to pull free/dump the leader. without the weight ,the leader can easily stay connected to the the hook link, leaving the fish trailing both hook length and leader

Very fair point Beanz, these are the exact reasons I never use Helicopter rigs! I would agree that a rig with the lead discharged is safer than a rig with the lead trapped on the line, but, I believe a 10ft piece of floppy leadcore is just as dangerous.

As with all these things it is open to debate but I'm almost certain I will never feel a need to use a helicopter rig. Furthermore, never really feel the need to use a leader or tubing of any kind!

choddys are not for weed

Wrong choddys are for weed. Jim Shelley uses a choddy over any bottom apart from hard bottoms. The lead will sink into the weed and the rest of the leader or mainline will settle on top as long as the pop-up only just sinks under the wait of the leader or putty etc. A well tied and balanced choddy will settle on the tiniest strands of weed or bottom debris!

Chods aren't for weed, honest indian :wink:

The proper name for the set-up was Silt Rigs, that is where they were first designed for.

They've become a standard approach, but in weed they can actually cause a few problems; hookpulls or line breakages where the ring abrades the line, or even when the line is being pulled at 90degrees to the fish. I believe Adam Penning has a few comments on it in this months Carpology Rotary Letter, Tim Paisley in one of his books, and also the great Danny Fairbrass said as much in The Korda Guide to Rig Making

A semi fixed or running paternostered bait is better in weed, a long tail on a run ring attaching the bomb with a weak link :wink:

choddys are not for weed

Chods aren't for weed, honest indian :wink:

The proper name for the set-up was Silt Rigs, that is where they were first designed for.

They've become a standard approach, but in weed they can actually cause a few problems; hookpulls or line breakages where the ring abrades the line, or even when the line is being pulled at 90degrees to the fish. I believe Adam Penning has a few comments on it in this months Carpology Rotary Letter, Tim Paisley in one of his books, and also the great Danny Fairbrass said as much in The Korda Guide to Rig Making

A semi fixed or running paternostered bait is better in weed, a long tail on a run ring attaching the bomb with a weak link :wink:

Well lets say the modern angler seems to revert to the choddy for any bottom other than gravel. It may not be its original intention, but it seems to have become this way.

its all in the name - CHOD rig, it is designed for choddy silty slighty weedy bottoms, the rig with light leads settles on the choddy bottom and the bait is presented perfectly, cast a choddy into a 6ft weed bed with a 2-3oz lead on and you will catch nothing IMO !!!

I don't use the choddy at all, but, last year in advanced carp fishing magazine Jim Shelley publicised his flying chod rig. It's a rig I see as a very dangerous one and would never touch, BUT, my point is he claimed that it didn't matter what bottom was there, he just had to find the fish and cast his flying choddy at them. He knew that his rig would be around 10ft away from the lead and that his slow sinking choddy would presented perfectly over any bottom, hence why he doesn't use any other rig. All he has to worry about 'is finding the carp and casting to them', his words not mine.