sleeping

russ_29

this is going to probly seem really random and maybe stupid but hopefully you can share what you do

right then when im doing night sessions i sleep with my boots on. I have a old sleeping bag that i dont care about ocassionly get my bed chair muddy witch i have to scrub like mad. Now i presum alot of you dont sleep with boots on especially if you own a nash indulgence lol. So what do you do if you get a run surly you dont sit put on you boots then try running a bit faster to your rods. Or do you run out in your socks fair enought in the summer but in the rain or even frost surly not. So guys how do you get around keeping these expensive bed chairs and sleeping bags in tip top condition

thanks russ

i wear trainers and leave them laced up but lose so i can slip them on, so when i get a run i bolt out of the bivvy in socks and forget to step into the trainers that are set up just for the job

this is kind of my problem i no wet stuff drys but wen its cold last thing you want to be doing is messing around and to the frost dont really fancy frost bite putting a end to my session as I LOVE CARPING lol like us all i guess perhaps im just being a girl :cry:

i no tackle is tackle it has to be used but 2 3 hundred quid on a bed chair to cover in mud you obviously have a better paid job han me :lol:

i wear trainers and leave them laced up but lose so i can slip them on, so when i get a run i bolt out of the bivvy in socks and forget to step into the trainers that are set up just for the job

this is kind of my problem i no wet stuff drys but wen its cold last thing you want to be doing is messing around and to the frost dont really fancy frost bite putting a end to my session as I LOVE CARPING lol like us all i guess perhaps im just being a girl :cry:

i no tackle is tackle it has to be used but 2 3 hundred quid on a bed chair to cover in mud you obviously have a better paid job han me :lol:

Once you've got over the outlay it's just stuff you use to go fishing. Mud is easily cleaned off once it's dried.

I remember being afraid to remove the shrink wrapped covering on the cork when I had my Prodigies converted to full cork handles. My son, a realist, waited until I wasn't looking and peeled it all off.

Much, much better. I no longer treat them as icons, they're just fishing rods. Mud? It's just wet soil.

Ian

As much as I sympathise with those who wear boots in the sleeping bag I find it uncomfortable and awkward. I don't like the dirt that gets in, even when its dried off, and a wet sleeping bag does not warm you up as much as a dry one.

I keep my boots and trainers stationed by the side of the bedchair so that in the event of a run I can just slip them on.

To be honest I very rarely try to get into my boots in the middle of a night for a run, I seem to end trying to put the boots on the wrong feet, even if I have placed them correct way round. :roll::? I prefer to slip into my loosened trainers, its not often so cold I can't handle it while playing a fish. :wink:

So I have to sort out a hot water bottle and a cup of coffee for when I get back into the bag :P:wink:

The boots are more for daylight use as I tend to sit watching the water.

I remember being afraid to remove the shrink wrapped covering on the cork when I had my Prodigies converted to full cork handles. My son, a realist, waited until I wasn't looking and peeled it all off.

Ian

isn't the shrink wrap SUPPOSED to stay on? I took some off of a rod once and noticed it was a lot thicker than I expected, and also well finished (no raggy ends etc) so I thought maybe it should stay on. My newest rod still has shrink wrap, and it works just as good, and stays looking nice. No harm in that, and it does make me think it is probably more than just cello wrap!

Guest Anonymous

Leaving wrapping on cork is a sin, simple as that. If cork on a rod doesn't look well finished, it's to do with the build quality.

I've had few handles corked and insist (as sad as it may sound) on it being portuguese, there's no better, none of this cheap grade rubbish that's full of holes, it gets worse over time.

That said, the chances of portuguese cork going on the handle of a cheap (sub £200) rod are slim.

I can't sleep in my boots, it just doesn't feel right. I've got a pair of Crocs-style slippers to get on in a hurry, and if it's too cold, my boots are left with the tops wide open so I can jam my feet straight in.

If you do sleep in too much clothing, all that happens is you end up sweating, which then chills and cools you down even more than if you wear a basic amount of clothing and a warm sleeping bag.

I cut the laces right down to avoid going head over heels, then leave the boots wide open like most do. No problem.

Another thing I've learned through bitter experience, I never go charging about after a run in the pitch black. Quickest way to end up flat on yer face in the mud.....or worse!!!! Splosh!!! A couple of seconds is'nt all that important and, if I'm fishing locked up, I sleep virtually next to the rods anyway.

I have an old pair of Carp Tech bivvy socks for night time, the thick green wooly socks with the rubber bit that covers the sole, toes and most of the upper. Brilliant bit of kit, they're getting very old and have a couple of holes in the wool at the top but still work perfectly well.

For daytime it's boots on all the time.

Leaving wrapping on cork is a sin, simple as that. If cork on a rod doesn't look well finished, it's to do with the build quality.

I've had few handles corked and insist (as sad as it may sound) on it being portuguese, there's no better, none of this cheap grade rubbish that's full of holes, it gets worse over time.

That said, the chances of portuguese cork going on the handle of a cheap (sub £200) rod are slim.

My Prodigy's proudly wear cork from Portugal. I didn't insist upon it, Colin Leatherbarrow, the rod builder, did.

Ian

I usually end up missing the boots in my excitement, but I do have my boots at the ready. I avoid trainers as a venue I used to fish had steep grassy banks and in the wet trainers didn't have enough grip and it was very hard to keep your balance. I once slipped into the lake 3 times in a 48hour session! As you can guess I didn't have enough spare clothes for that session :x!

I have a pair of Ron Thompson neoprene socks. They keep my feet warm and if I do get a run i don't have to worry about footwear as they are waterproof and can shoot straight out of the bivvy. They were £7 well spent