Aussie Carp report

thomasbecker

hello everyone

I went out this morning to a new lake which I had been eyeing off for a while now. Was a little windy this morning so chose swim sheltered by the wind. First of I pre-baited the area then after setting up, out the baits went. I had maize and homemade boilies out. Not long after casting out the baits I got my first bite which turned out to be a nice common. Didn't have the scales so I'm not too sure how much they weighed.

Heres the first fish of the day and first fish from the lake

IMGP0714.jpg

After re-baiting and setting the rods up again, 10 minutes past and another carp took the bait. When I got her into the net, to my surprise it was my first every mirror carp.

IMGP0719.jpg

IMGP0720.jpg

Setting up the baits and getting ready for another fish until 30 minutes past and another rod was screaming. After a 10 minute fight, I landed this [censored] (sorry about the bad picture, had it on auto resting on my tackle box)

IMGP0724.jpg

All fish released back into the water

Could anyone guess how much they weighed?

Thomas I am really disapointed, I was just looking at fishvictoria and have found you posting some of these pics in a thread called carp cullathon. any explanation? :?:

it is actually illegal to release carp in australia as they are classed as a pest

Go away Moses from byron bay, here is an interesting fact it is against the law to record tv programs and music off the radio..but i am sure you do it. Far as i am concerned you can can't be forced to kill anything!

So is smoking pot but being from Byron I bet he does that too!!!! My sentiments exactly... morally who can tell anyone to kill anything????

I bet Moses was too stoned to read my previous post with info from NSW DPI!!!!

hello everyone

I went out this morning to a new lake which I had been eyeing off for a while now. Was a little windy this morning so chose swim sheltered by the wind. First of I pre-baited the area then after setting up, out the baits went. I had maize and homemade boilies out. Not long after casting out the baits I got my first bite which turned out to be a nice common. Didn't have the scales so I'm not too sure how much they weighed.

Heres the first fish of the day and first fish from the lake

IMGP0714.jpg

After re-baiting and setting the rods up again, 10 minutes past and another carp took the bait. When I got her into the net, to my surprise it was my first every mirror carp.

IMGP0719.jpg

IMGP0720.jpg

Setting up the baits and getting ready for another fish until 30 minutes past and another rod was screaming. After a 10 minute fight, I landed this [censored] (sorry about the bad picture, had it on auto resting on my tackle box)

IMGP0724.jpg

All fish released back into the water

Could anyone guess how much they weighed?

Thomas I am really disapointed, I was just looking at fishvictoria and have found you posting some of these pics in a thread called carp cullathon. any explanation? :?:

it is actually illegal to release carp in australia as they are classed as a pest

Sigh, another person who doesn't know the regulations or got his regulations by hearsay.....

Chris

I think what ever people do over here. Other than change the sex of the carp or make them sterile. Carp are here to stay, they may be a pest, but they spawn and adapt well. Which is a good trait of a surviving species. Why is the law so different per state is there more carp in a certain state. Or is it just a different law in some states?

I think i should spend my energy on trieing to catch a bigger carp. I have heard rumours of bigger fish.

I think what ever people do over here. Other than change the sex of the carp or make them sterile. Carp are here to stay, they may be a pest, but they spawn and adapt well. Which is a good trait of a surviving species. Why is the law so different per state is there more carp in a certain state. Or is it just a different law in some states?

I think i should spend my energy on trieing to catch a bigger carp. I have heard rumours of bigger fish.

Hello mate, Carp have adapted very well to water ways that have been degraded over years in Australia, intensive farming, poor water management, pollution, urbanization and of course wholesale over fishing of native species have created a niche for Carp which they've adapted to very well.

The regulations regarding Carp are different state to state - always make sure you are aware of them - it has as far as I know got nothing to do with the population densities, in most states now Carp make up the majority of a waters biomass 80-90% in most cases, you are correct in the assumption that they are here to stay, whilst some anglers will always say they should be removed the evidence is that ad hoc removal of Carp makes no difference to their population (DPI study).

There is of course the moral issue of a regulation that tells you you have to kill an animal or a fish, I don't think anyone has the right to tell anyone else to kill anything at all, the very idea is abhorrent and what's more the regulation is virtually impossible to police or enforce, thats where I think the NSW DPI are progressive in this respect and have adopted the correct approach.

This is a thorny subject to say the least and its been done to death on a few forums, but my thoughts are that at the point where removal makes no difference then the person indulging in that activity is just killing for killings sake and personally I think that is morally wrong - I happen to think that killing any fish is wrong the exception being unless they are bred for the table i.e. Trout stocked in the mountains - wild fish I believe should all be catch and release.

Good luck with those bigger Carp, they are out there :wink:

atb,

Chris

There are out there somewhere. I am even toying with the idea of fishing the mitchell again. But different areas. Interesting about the law per state on carp. They certainly aren't that thick on the ground on the rivers a round here. As the rivers get quite heavily fished and so fish get taken away. Carp in deep water above 7 feet i have not caught any carp over that depth on the bottom on the rivers.

Any ideas?

I think 7 feet would be a good average depth, I'd be more concerned about fishing really deep water (15+ feet) most of my Carp have come from relatively shallow water apart from the few I've had off the top in 15-30 feet - there's a message in that in itself.

Rivers are certainly harder than Lakes imo, the times I've fished the Hawkesbury or other rivers I've found they can be very hit & miss, I think it pays on rivers to pre-bait and do so quite heavily over a week or so to ensure you have drawn the Carp to the area you intend to fish.

Good luck mate,

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Chris has proved it with a remarkable carp taken in a very difficult water,yes he is right there are very bigcarp in australia.Divers who inspect dam walls have told me, trawler skippers have caught them in their nets, now all you young anglers have got to do is put in all that fun work and put some monsters on the bank.You will i have no doubt,but wether you will do it with conventional methods could be the problem,food for thought. cheers Macbilly

Chris has proved it with a remarkable carp taken in a very difficult water,yes he is right there are very bigcarp in australia.Divers who inspect dam walls have told me, trawler skippers have caught them in their nets, now all you young anglers have got to do is put in all that fun work and put some monsters on the bank.You will i have no doubt,but wether you will do it with conventional methods could be the problem,food for thought. cheers Macbilly

Chris has set the benchmark for Aussie Carpers no doubt!

The 'Divers who inspect dam walls' story is so old! It gets rolled out all the time, it's one of those urban myth things normally told by Cod fishermen.... even if there was any credibility to it you'd have the heebie-geebies down there in the dark, bumping into any old carp would make you dump a load in your wetsuit. Plus the idea that the biggest carp would be in the deepest darkest part of a lake that you'd need to dive to isn't really that sound either...

• 3 weeks later...
Go away Moses from byron bay, here is an interesting fact it is against the law to record tv programs and music off the radio..

Actually, it's only illegal if you use them for other than your own personal enjoyment.

The copyright legislation on this sort of thing was investigated by the Federal Attorney-General's Department a few years ago. There was a call for public input on it. I didn't see any submissions, but I read through the half inch thick report. The main interest was in "format changing" or ripping your CD's to your MP3 player. Copyright Branch think that this is absolutely fine. Even making backup copies is fine.

Reproduce and sell anything though, or even give them away and your arse will be in a sling.

Now, about them carp...

Carp at the deepest places. Well on the lakes i was walking last week. The carp i saw were in some of the shallow water. Not that there was loads a bout. I found 10 carp up the bank, they get stuck in areas which dry up after minor floods and are then pelican bait. Funney enough though a lot of these carp do not get taken. I am looking at a new river at the moment big in size and deep 20 feet at least from plumming it.

A lot of baiting and viewing might be the key. I have struggled on some rivers, just sitting behind the rods and fishing into deep water. I have taken some of the better fish in the upper layers. Fishing a float mid depth and trotting down under bait (berley).

Is any one fishing out there at the moment as all seems to be quiet on this site at the moment.