Aussie Carp report

thomasbecker

hello everyone

I went out this morning to a new lake which I had been eyeing off for a while now. Was a little windy this morning so chose swim sheltered by the wind. First of I pre-baited the area then after setting up, out the baits went. I had maize and homemade boilies out. Not long after casting out the baits I got my first bite which turned out to be a nice common. Didn't have the scales so I'm not too sure how much they weighed.

Heres the first fish of the day and first fish from the lake

IMGP0714.jpg

After re-baiting and setting the rods up again, 10 minutes past and another carp took the bait. When I got her into the net, to my surprise it was my first every mirror carp.

IMGP0719.jpg

IMGP0720.jpg

Setting up the baits and getting ready for another fish until 30 minutes past and another rod was screaming. After a 10 minute fight, I landed this [censored] (sorry about the bad picture, had it on auto resting on my tackle box)

IMGP0724.jpg

All fish released back into the water

Could anyone guess how much they weighed?

Nice little session there Tom...good on ya...ripper of a Mirror ya got to be happy with your first one hey..... They look to be around the 7-8lb bracket with the last one getting close to a double...boilie and maize hey..what did you catch them mostly on?

This kio went 8lb 11oz if that gives you an idea.....it got a bit of a belly so thats where most of the weight is carried on a fish.

Paul2.jpg

Im extremely happy with the mirror. Around 8lb looks right, although the last one felt heavier.

The two commons were caught on maize over a bed of maize and breadcrumb mix and the mirror was caught on the boilie with one maize on the end.

Thanks

Like ya work Tom, I generally use a fake rubber hi-viz maize behind the boilie as it helps keeping it up and semi-bouyant and can be easily sucked in with hardly any resistance. Nice one

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
hello everyone

I went out this morning to a new lake which I had been eyeing off for a while now. Was a little windy this morning so chose swim sheltered by the wind. First of I pre-baited the area then after setting up, out the baits went. I had maize and homemade boilies out. Not long after casting out the baits I got my first bite which turned out to be a nice common. Didn't have the scales so I'm not too sure how much they weighed.

IMGP0714.jpg

After re-baiting and setting the rods up again, 10 minutes past and another carp took the bait. When I got her into the net, to my surprise it was my first every mirror carp.

IMGP0719.jpg

IMGP0720.jpg

Setting up the baits and getting ready for another fish until 30 minutes past and another rod was screaming. After a 10 minute fight, I landed this [censored] (sorry about the bad picture, had it on auto resting on my tackle box)

IMGP0724.jpg

Thomas I am really disapointed, I was just looking at fishvictoria and have found you posting some of these pics in a thread called carp cullathon. any explanation? :?:

• 1 month later...
hello everyone

IMGP0714.jpg

IMGP0719.jpg

IMGP0720.jpg

IMGP0724.jpg

Thomas I am really disapointed, I was just looking at fishvictoria and have found you posting some of these pics in a thread called carp cullathon. any explanation? :?:

I think young Tom has gone into hiding...he was somewhat active on the AFA also...not been on there for a while....tut, tut to the cullathon..

I Spose in some ways it is the nature of anglers in australia, but saying that i would like to think most people on this forum love and put there carp back. I went and had alook at an area where i had caught some decent size carp amonth or so ago. This area is a good walk a way from any where. I found bare bank, sweetcorn cans and 4 dead carp + carp scales everywhere. I thought i had found my own bit of peace and quiet obviously not. Not been fishing for ages, i will have to change that soon.

Tight lines to all genuine carp fishermen.

I have been releasing all these carp. I have only posted them in the 'cullathon' thread on another website here in Australia to show the carp I have caught, I didn't kill them and never will. I release all my carp, no matter where it is and if someone comes and tells me off.

Sorry for not replying quickly, I've been a bit busy and haven't been able to get one this website for a while.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Here we go again with the destruction of Carp debate!!!!

FYI - The rules relating to Carp in NSW changed in April 2010, Carp are now classified as a Class 3 Noxious Pest... under the guidelines there is no requirement to destory a single Carp... hence feel free to release your catch without concern!!!! (see here http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/pests-diseases/noxious-fish-and-marine-vegetation/exemptions-noxious-fish) Before this time the DPI only recommended that you didn't return Carp to the water hence I never followed their recommendations!!!!!

We can clearly see in one of young Thomas's pics the fish being released. (Next time deeper water Thomas) As far as his posting on website that obviously condones the senseless and immoral destruction of Carp... well that's for him to live with!!! He has certainly got time to grow and learn and decide who he is best affiliated with!

Personally I would rather belong to a community thats appreciates and admires my pursuits rather than one that looks down on them and branishes Anti-Carp sentiments.

Cheers

PJ

I'm located in Victoria, which the law states that it is illegal to release any carp back into the water. I just hope the Victorian Regulations change just like the NSW ones earlier this year. I have released these fish, in which I condone these actions.

That day the net I had broke so I didn't have enough time to get another one. I tried to release and land them the best I can without any harm to the fish. I hold them close to the ground and on one of my mats I've made.

I also agree with your attitudes towards carp, as along with anyones on this website.