Its only taken me 9 months to catch this...

At long last I've broken my Sydney Carp blanking streak, it must be one of the longest blanks in history, but it was broken in some style on Sunday afternoon, so after countless hours of blanking (600+), a dislocated thumb, a badly twisted knee, many many buckets of particles and much wailing and gnashing of teeth here she is.

I am very pleased indeed.

43lb9oz042.jpg

I still can't get over the size and bulk of this Carp, I've had a few 20+ Carp but this old girl is a whopper.

43lb9oz046.jpg

Immense.

43lb9oz047.jpg

Back she goes, she was off like a shot!

43lb9oz052.jpg

cheers,

a very happy Chris.

absolute hippo :shock::shock:

you mention old girl, does make you wonder just how old ..being a naturally fed carp ( apart from the odd particles and bread that might happen to pop by )

also the other thing that makes this such a great capture chris is the fact that 99% of australian carp caught do meet with a rather nasty end as we are all aware

so im pretty much guessing that it is possible that this particular fish has never seen the bank before..atleast no in the last 35 pounds or so! :shock::shock:

many questions, and a fish of a lifetime !

congrats once again mate

john

edit= cant get over the rudder !!!!

Well done old chap, worth the wait and i hope you had a proper social that night aka jim shelley style :D

Thank you all for your kind words, its been a bit of a journey, I'll be leaving them alone now except if I pop down there for a picnic, in which case I'll be taking some Carpy snacks down there for them too.

I got bought a bottle of Moet that was soon polished off and I had to start on the pale ale. :lol::lol::lol:

Chris

Well done that is a very hard water to fish,mostly big fish,but hard.my fishing friend believes he introduced the commons in there,taken from the river.Prior to that it used to be all koi and crucian.i hope he reads this post. He does not fish it any more as he thinks like me too tough.however i am sure this is just a start to what is there for you keen carpers.Good luck and tight lines.Macbilly

Ah, dude. That's awesome!

Was it close to that dark bronze in real life or is the camera giving it a colour cast?

And can we have a line weight, bait used and fight report please if you're up to it?

Thank you all for your kind words gents,

to answer your questions that is its hue, all the fish in there are a similar colouration though there are only 6 that I've seen and can identify as different fish after spending a lot of time just watching their movements, the colouration in my experience is down to water quality and clarity both of which are excellent in this particular water.

The Carp took floating dog biscuits fished close to lily pads, I was using my stalking/surface rod a Carp 2000 1 1/4lb tc rod and a Mitchell 300A banked with 12lb Maxima & size 6 barbless Korda pattern hook, if I'm honest this was a bit under powered for a fish of this size and as a result I had a bit of a game bringing her to the net, a couple of times I thought she'd done me up in the weeds but after about 45-50mins and no small amount of luck she came to my 42" net, only then she barely fit in with her nose up to the spreader her tail and anal fin were still well out of the net :shock: but she went in after a little coaxing & I was left wet and exhausted but with a beaming smile, she really is a very beautiful fish, if I'm honest the pictures don't do her justice.

atb,

Chris

addenda to my comments about the stocking of the water that is producing these remarkable carp.the stockist told me that he put in 12 commons in 20 yrs ago, so there some more biggies there for you keen anglers. cheers macbilly

Thank you very much for your input macbilly its very much appreciated, that really is food for thought mate. :D

cheers,

Chris

• 1 month later...

Well done Chris!!! Saw this on Niblets Blog and was very impressed!!! Not just by the size and look but the effort involved!!!

I've been out to that water an sussed it out... very hard to fish... weedy... but a beautiful hole to fish!!! How deep is it???

I didn't realise you'd move... last we spoke you were in Canberra... are you in Sydney to stay??? Be nice to catch up for a sesh if your up to it!!!

Cheers

PJ

PS. We have someting in common that I only just learned... will enlighten you via PM!!!

Hello PJ how's it going mate? Its good to hear from our resident Carping poet again :lol:

I've been back in Sydney for about a year but was v busy with work for the first few months, it is indeed a beautiful but challenging water I would say its average depth in most places is between 8-10 metres but I haven't surveyed it all with the marker rod - its a big water as you know - I'm in Sydney for good now (just got my citizenship) so if you want to catch up it would be a pleasure to get out and cast a line. :D

cheers,

Chris

Chris, this one's for you mate... well done!!!!

Forty Three Pound of Dedication

There’s this bloke you see,

We know as Chris the Lad,

Yes, they’re in there,

And they’re there to be had!

So for what seemed like forever,

He would sit, watch and wait,

Tempting and taming them,

Free offerings… pre-bait.

Finally he starts,

This, his Sydney campaign,

“Blanked again today!” he’d think

More a prayer, than to complain.

And so he invests,

His blood, sweat and tears,

Over six hundred hours!

“Will I ever?” he fears.

Amongst all the activity,

Duck feeding, noisy picnics…

He sits and contemplates,

Behind his Banksticks.

Then early in September,

In the year Twenty Ten,

His patience rewarded,

As his buzzer sounds again.

With his size six set,

And his twelve pound straining,

The challenge at hand,

Might leave some explaining.

But after nearly an hour,

He guides her gently in,

Only now can he see,

The size of that fin!

And now as he poses,

With his proud picture taken,

A new Aussie record!

Forty Three Pounds of Dedication!

Chris, this one's for you mate... well done!!!!

Forty Three Pound of Dedication

There’s this bloke you see,

We know as Chris the Lad,

Yes, they’re in there,

And they’re there to be had!

So for what seemed like forever,

He would sit, watch and wait,

Tempting and taming them,

Free offerings… pre-bait.

Finally he starts,

This, his Sydney campaign,

“Blanked again today!” he’d think